Intakes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Intakes

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-09-2009, 08:33 PM   #1
JohnBarleycorn
2013 JK Wrangler 

Intakes

While I am patiently waiting for my lift kit to arrive I am contemplating my next upgrade. I already have rims and tires ready to bolt on as soon as room is made for them via the lift. With that in mind I am setting my eyes on an intake and exhaust system. I am pretty much sold on removing the resonator and running a cat back flowmaster super 44. Knowing how air is going to leave the engine I am curious on how to get it in. I have always used a K&N FIPK but was intrigued by the Bwoody system. I like that it is actually located out of the main engine bay and in a position to suck in truely cold air. The part that has me stumpted is which option to choose. Is there a big difference between the 4" or 3.5"? What about their velocity plus version? That seems to be mroe budget friendly but it also seems slightly inferior. I would appreciate any advice you guys have who are running the Bwoody and if you would reccomend it over the alternatives.

Thanks,
B

Unread 11-09-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

The stock airbox is more than adequate to provide all the air the 5.7 can use. The engine is just a pump and can only take in so much air, unless you use forced induction. The best thing you can do is open up another inlet into the airbox. The stock one draws air from behind the grill, and provides pretty much ambient air. Where the temp. increases is in the tube leading to the throttle body. The reason I know all this is because I've done it on my LX Magnum Hemi. I still have a temp. sensor in the airbox and it runs at ambient unless you heat soak it with a lot of in town driving. Even then when you nail it, the intake air temp. (in the airbox) drops to ambient. My MagRT picks up 5-7 degrees in the tube, again unless heat soaked in town. On the MagRT I have the airbox insulated, added a second inlet drawing air from behind the grill, and a double walled, insulated tube. I've tried every combination I can think of, but 5-7 degrees above ambient (at the throttle body) is the best I can get. One difference between the MagRT and our WK's is the location of the intake air temp. sensor (IAT). The MagRT's is right next to the throttle body and WK's is just outside the airbox. Again, on my MagRT I installed a switched rheostat that allows me to adjust my IAT signal to the PCM to anything I want. Running it a little cooler seems to help a little. Some people use the "secret" resister in series with the sensor. Same basic thing I did, except mine is totally adjustable. I've had my WK for a month now, and I've already added the second inlet to the airbox and got rid of the big, ugly inlet silencer. Sounds much better, and I am sure is more efficient. I used parts from the stock MagRT to modify the inlet tube. Here's a couple threads on how I did the MagRT and similar to how I did the WK 5.7. Hope it gives you some ideas. Oh, one other thing, somewhere on one of those LX forums some company did airflow tests of the engine and the stock system. If I can find it I'll post it too.

Modified My Homemade Double Wall Insulated CAI - LX Forums Modern Mopar Muscle

My Intake Test, Fourth (and final) Phase - LX Forums Modern Mopar Muscle

Mixture Control at Wide Open Throttle?? - LX Forums Modern Mopar Muscle

$10 CAI that draws cold air (with pix) - Dodge Talk Community Forum

Another Mod. to my CAI - Dodge Talk Community Forum

What's Your Intake Air Temperature? - Dodge Talk Community Forum
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2009, 08:08 AM   #3
555ctsv
2006 WK 

I cant imagine there is much difference between 3.5" and 4", especially when it all has to pass through that skinny throttle body opening.... Kinda like connecting a firehouse to a garden sprayer
06 WK Limited 4x4 Racing Solutions 6.4L 392 Stroker HEMI - 2" Daystar / 255-75-17 BFG MT's / SpiderTrax 1.5" / SRT8 Exhaust / K&N Intake / HID Headlights and Fogs / Alto Red Eagle Clutch Packs / Transgo Shift Kit / Diablo Trinity / Bilstein Shocks / Rear SRT Sway / Deeza Front End Links
555ctsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2009, 08:47 PM   #4
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Found the thread on airflow tests of stock Hemi airbox (LX vehicles). I suspect the WK one is very similar, as they look pretty much alike. Max. airflow is 698.7 CFM. The stock Hemi probably has a volumetric efficiency (VE) of about 80-85%. Even if it were 100%, which is unheard of for even highly modified, normally aspirated engines, the airflow for a 5.7 liter engine at 6500 RPM is 658.275 CFM. Realistically our engines probably ingest no more than 550-575 CFM at 6000 RPM. This is well within the limits of the stock airbox. Take the airbox away like most CAI's, the main thing you get is more noise....which is not a bad thing, LOL. Anyway, here's the thread on airbox airflow:

Air Flow Intake Capacity, Design and Function - LX Forums Modern Mopar Muscle

See my post No. 30 in this thread.
Unread 11-11-2009, 10:15 PM   #5
JohnBarleycorn
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks everyone for your feed back. In reading the specs from bwoody they claim to hit over 11oo cfm and have like a 19 hp increase. If the stock airbox provides ample air supply where are the performance games coming from? Is it the cleaner straighter path or simply a high flow filter or both?

Cheers,
Unread 11-12-2009, 06:24 AM   #6
BonesWK
2006 WK 

If you got the lift, Im guessing you plan to wheel it?

If so why would you get the Bwoody CAI and not just a short ram intake? I would think that bwoody is a hydrolock magnet on the trail. Just my 2 cents though
2006 Black WK Limited 4.7 4x4 QD II -- RR 2.25" Lift - JK Moabs - 32" Wildpeaks - Rear OME Shocks - AFE Stage 2 Intake - Saguaro 4x Front Shackles - 1-1/2" Wheel Spacers - Tail Light Guards - CB - 4' Firestik - Rola Roof Rack - Exhaust
If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
Chive On
BonesWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2009, 10:09 AM   #7
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

I can't say where they got their figures, or if they're accurate. I do know from the other forums I belong to that there is a lot of "padding" the ratings for various products. I'd say, go the route you choose, and see for yourself. Even many of the users of these products claim both good and bad. Like I said, you'll for sure get more noise, and lots of folks equate that with more performance. It's hard to gauge with the "seat of the pants" dyno. I found in all my tinkering that if you can get the air (as cool as possible) into the airbox, (I use an SRT-8 airbox) and have as little restriction as possible between the box and the throttle body, you can't do much better. On my Magnum I have a tapered tube (4 in. reducing down to the slightly over 3 in. throttle body) with virtually no restriction and a smooth inner wall. At best this may provide a little venturi effect and accelerate the air slightly. I've also cut about 1 1/8 in. off the end of the EGR tube in the intake. Stock it goes into the middle of the manifold behind the throttle body. By cutting a little off, I was trying to improve airflow behind the throttle body. Don't know if it does any good, but if it does, it can't be too much. I do think that every little "improvement" you make is cummulative though. I haven't seen the WK SRT-8 airbox, but I'd like to. If it's a little different, I'd probably go with it, even though it doesn't flow that much more.
Unread 11-12-2009, 10:43 AM   #8
phillyeaglekgd
1995 ZJ 

Just a quick "side-opinion" - I noticed you are wanting to remove the resonator and install a Super 44 cat back. Unless you LOVE extremely loud drone and interior resonance, I would go with a different muffler. I have the Super 44 with 3" all the way back and no resonator and (I never thought I would say this) but it is too loud. It does sound mean as hell, but IMO it is not worth the interior noise.
phillyeaglekgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2009, 12:55 PM   #9
JohnBarleycorn
2013 JK Wrangler 

Philly- I used to have a 91 Camaro with the super 44 and it definately had teeth. I just love the sound and until I have kids or a good woman who can tell me otherwise bring on the noise. I guess another option would be to leave the resonator on. Do you have a sound clip of yours?

Bones - Coming from a JK with 4" lift and 35"s the lift on my WK is really more to give my butt that higher up feeling. I almost feel like I am driving a car now. That being said I dont plan on wheeling but I do routinely go camping and in the winter I head to the mountains multiple times a week for snowmobiling and snowboarding.

90 - Appreciate your feedback, I'll give your thread another read over.
Unread 11-12-2009, 01:22 PM   #10
phillyeaglekgd
1995 ZJ 

I put a resonator tip on and it helped a little bit, but not much. I don't have a sound clip, but I'll see if I can get one.
phillyeaglekgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2009, 01:57 PM   #11
BonesWK
2006 WK 

love lifted 4 door JKs. My next vehicle for sure
2006 Black WK Limited 4.7 4x4 QD II -- RR 2.25" Lift - JK Moabs - 32" Wildpeaks - Rear OME Shocks - AFE Stage 2 Intake - Saguaro 4x Front Shackles - 1-1/2" Wheel Spacers - Tail Light Guards - CB - 4' Firestik - Rola Roof Rack - Exhaust
If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
Chive On
BonesWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2009, 12:59 PM   #12
JohnBarleycorn
2013 JK Wrangler 

I installed the flowmaster last night. The Super 44 they had wasn't the correct offset so I ended up going with the Super 40. I am glad I downgraded because whoa is there a lot of resonance in the cabin. Overall I like the sound, I think the only downside is the MDS is much more audibly noticeable now. On the plus side I am seeing a 2 mpg increase! This thing could pay for itself in a year!

Suggested Threads
  • Intakes - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (16 replies)
  • Air Intakes - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (31 replies)
  • WK Intakes - WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum (8 replies)
  • K&n intakes - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (2 replies)
  • Air Intakes - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (6 replies)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.