installing fog lights on my girlfriends 05 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > installing fog lights on my girlfriends 05

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!3" BDS Suspension Lift Kit - Jeep JK 07-11Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-30-2012, 09:08 AM   #1
jerretxx

installing fog lights on my girlfriends 05

Hey guys, I bought my girlfriend fog lights for her 05 grand cherokee. I found a site showing how to install these lights, it is very simple.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f140/...nstall-867728/

However, has anyone ran a jumper wire to the tail lights to activate these? Id love to do that rather than pay our local dealership $100.00 to do so.

If you could tell me how, or message me a step by step how to that would be great!

Thanks!

jerretxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
colinzj
2006 WK 

Don't run a jumper to the tail lamps. Please, for the love of God, don't run a jumper to the tail lamps.

They're called fog lights for a reason. You're not supposed to run them except in fog.
Used in clear conditions, fog lights dangerously decrease your night vision. In fact, that's why it's illegal almost everywhere to use them in clear conditions.

When she plows into a deer/tree/grandma and the cops/insurance finds out the fogs were on, you will have a bad day.
Unread 12-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
Robb286
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinzj
They're called fog lights for a reason. You're not supposed to run them except in fog.
Used in clear conditions, fog lights dangerously decrease your night vision. In fact, that's why it's illegal almost everywhere to use them in clear conditions.
Ahhhhhh What?! Lol I have never heard of this nonsense before. I run fogs every morning & every night in multiple vehicles for years... Maybe it's just a arizona /western states thing!?
Robb286 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
Robb286
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerretxx
Hey guys, I bought my girlfriend fog lights for her 05 grand cherokee. I found a site showing how to install these lights, it is very simple.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f140/...nstall-867728/

However, has anyone ran a jumper wire to the tail lights to activate these? Id love to do that rather than pay our local dealership $100.00 to do so.

If you could tell me how, or message me a step by step how to that would be great!

Thanks!
I used that same thread when installing my fogs. Its very useful and extremely simple. I didn't run a jumper tho. I had my dealership do it in 20mins and only paid 45 bucks. Fairly cheap compared to what everyone else paid.
Robb286 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
colinzj
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb286 View Post
Ahhhhhh What?! Lol I have never heard of this nonsense before. I run fogs every morning & every night in multiple vehicles for years... Maybe it's just a arizona /western states thing!?
Nope. It starts at USDOT and goes to every state. (Same deal in Europe, too, where they're much crankier about enforcement than cops anywhere in the US are about traffic laws.)

Turning on the fogs puts the pool of light way too close to the vehicle. As a human being, you put your focus where the brightest light is. That's why DOT and E-Code design requirements put the hot spots of the low and high beams as far out as they do (and one of the many reasons aftermarket HID "kits" are dangerous—they put too much light too close to the vehicle).

With fogs on, the brightest location—and the driver's focus—are about a foot off the bumper, which is great when that's all you can see (like traveling slowly in fog), but a major problem when you should be scanning far down the road while traveling at speed. In a city where you've got a ton of street lamps it's not as much of a problem, but fogs put you at a serious deficit traveling through darker areas.
Unread 12-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
jerretxx

What I mean by using tail lights is using that circuit to power my fog lamps. The park lights/headlights have to be on for my tail lights to come on. If I use the power off of that, I can then control the lights by my factory switch. It's the same thing you would do while doing fogs an hi-beams. Our local dealer is charging $95.00 that's why I was wondering if anyone had done this.

I don't want the fogs on all the time, only on dangerous conditions.
jerretxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
LouC
2007 WK 

When I used to install Hella fogs on my old school cars, the way we did it was to use the low beam circuit to trigger the relay, the power to the relay came from a fused lead right off the battery pos clamp. So we had a toggle switch between the wire from the low beam circuit to the relay and the fogs could be only when the headlamps were on low beam which is consistent with most states vehicle codes. I used this on a number of cars ('80s Japanese vehicles) using the harness supplied by Hella but I'm not sure if that will work with the WK's electrical system. I'd want to do it the way the factory did, the electrical systems on these Jeeps are pretty sensitive.
LouC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2015, 10:01 AM   #8
fetterjohn

I'm bringing that back from the dead...

Is it possible to wire the fog lights in line with the headlights so they both come on at the same time? I really don't want to purchase or install the kit with the new left light switch. Besides, I would always have them on (I like the look), so a switch would be useless.

Wiring assistance or a diagram would be great from you all of you smart people out there in Jeep land.

Thank you.

John
fetterjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2015, 10:04 AM   #9
fetterjohn

I'm bringing that back from the dead...

Is it possible to wire the fog lights in line with the headlights so they both come on at the same time? I really don't want to purchase or install the kit with the new left light switch. Besides, I would always have them on (I like the look), so a switch would be useless. OR have them wired like daytime running lights...to always be on.

Wiring assistance or a diagram would be great from you all of you smart people out there in Jeep land.

Thank you.

John
fetterjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.