Installed HID fog lights... Question! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Installed HID fog lights... Question!

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #16
TokenBlackJeep
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrybomb05

Pretty new to bulbs and stuff.. tried to do an HID conversion in a friend's WK.. went horrible (had to take it to a shop after we took the bumper off and everything)

Are the fogs difficult to install? We never actually got to install the fog lights, and do they require something special to add them in? (Again very new to HID.. I just add sylvania bulbs and call it good lol)
My WK came equipped with fog lights already... So I had to do was replace the bulbs...

But Ive read the write up on how to install the fog lights... & I must say it looked pretty difficult! They rated it a 2/10 for challenge though.

Your better off installing a switch and just ordering some fog lights off eBay.

Unread 06-21-2012, 11:23 PM   #17
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

CherryBomb05 are you talking about installing just and HID conversion kit or the fig lights themselves with all the wiring? Just the HID conversion is easy! You unplug the wires from the factory bulbs, remover factory bulbs, plug the wires into the new HID ballasts, install the new HID bulbs, and connect the ballast wires to the bulbs. Then you are good to go! The fogs don't need a relay harness, but the lows do.

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 12:19 AM   #18
apagel202

Anyone know about putting an HID conversion on a set of Spec-D halo fog lights? Looking at throwing in a pair of 55w 3000k put can't figure it out for the life of me!! It's not as simple as plug and play...
apagel202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 07:05 AM   #19
csmith1734
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet
CherryBomb05 are you talking about installing just and HID conversion kit or the fig lights themselves with all the wiring? Just the HID conversion is easy! You unplug the wires from the factory bulbs, remover factory bulbs, plug the wires into the new HID ballasts, install the new HID bulbs, and connect the ballast wires to the bulbs. Then you are good to go! The fogs don't need a relay harness, but the lows do.
What fog light kit did you get?
csmith1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 09:17 AM   #20
TokenBlackJeep
2006 WK 

Can someone post a HOW TO on installing the lows w/ the relay?
Unread 06-22-2012, 12:45 PM   #21
cherrybomb05
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet
That easy huh? We had a horrible time with my buddies headlights in his 05. We blew up a couple of ballasts ( or at least I think that's what we blew up ) thanks for all the nice help! (sorry for thread hijack)

the jeep I'm modding has fogs already installed btw token
cherrybomb05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 01:29 PM   #22
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith1734 View Post
What fog light kit did you get?
It is a 55w kit I got off ebay for about $40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokenBlackJeep View Post
Can someone post a HOW TO on installing the lows w/ the relay?
I think there might be one around here somewhere. Did you try searching? However I would not recommend a HID conversion in the lows. I did that at first and ended up swapping them out in favor of the '08+ lamps for a proper beam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrybomb05 View Post
That easy huh? We had a horrible time with my buddies headlights in his 05. We blew up a couple of ballasts ( or at least I think that's what we blew up ) thanks for all the nice help! (sorry for thread hijack)

the jeep I'm modding has fogs already installed btw token
Were you trying to instal a fog or low beam kit? The lows need a new relay harness to work properly. The fogs don't even through I made one for mine anyway

Unread 06-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #23
cherrybomb05
2010 JK Wrangler 

We were trying to install a slim ballast HID kit for the high beams and the low beams( if that makes sense) we also wanted to do the fog lights but it was late at night and I had work the next day

I'm planning on installing some nice Lights in my 06 wk though
Unread 06-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #24
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrybomb05 View Post
We were trying to install a slim ballast HID kit for the high beams and the low beams( if that makes sense) we also wanted to do the fog lights but it was late at night and I had work the next day

I'm planning on installing some nice Lights in my 06 wk though
So you were installing 2 sets? 1 for the Hi and one for the Low?
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #25
cherrybomb05
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
So you were installing 2 sets? 1 for the Hi and one for the Low?
If I remember correctly.. yes.. It was a while back though and like I said we never got it finished :P
Unread 06-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #26
TokenBlackJeep
2006 WK 

Everything up and running... No relay used... Lights done flicker until car is turned off, but they only flicker for a few seconds.
image-415499597.jpg   image-1232306675.jpg   image-1083552815.jpg  
Unread 09-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #27
2008WK_Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
It is a 55w kit I got off ebay for about $40.

I think there might be one around here somewhere. Did you try searching? However I would not recommend a HID conversion in the lows. I did that at first and ended up swapping them out in favor of the '08+ lamps for a proper beam.

Were you trying to instal a fog or low beam kit? The lows need a new relay harness to work properly. The fogs don't even through I made one for mine anyway
Is a harness needed if the ballast supplies only 35W to bulbs or it's needed 35W or 55W anyway?

I'm getting mixed messages, some say on fog lights, you need the harness no matter what, others say only if you use 55W bulb/ballast not if you have 35W.

Anyone?
2008WK_Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #28
wookiee
Bought, not built.

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokenBlackJeep View Post
My WK came equipped with fog lights already... So I had to do was replace the bulbs...

What bulbs do you use?
07 Steel Blue Overland CRD QDII | Bilsteins | 4xguard Matrix | Rear SRT8 SwayBar | DashHawk w/egt | Provent | MBRP XP Exhaust | New Intake Tube & Seal + EHM | Alternator Splash Guard | Crank Sensor | GPS AL InMotion Hack | Swirl motor bypass | Fuelly.com - wookiee | Blue WK Club Member #13 | 100,000 Mile Club | Dogpiled Club | flashpaq 3872 for those no 4-low days |
wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 01:26 AM   #29
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008WK_Canuck View Post

Is a harness needed if the ballast supplies only 35W to bulbs or it's needed 35W or 55W anyway?

I'm getting mixed messages, some say on fog lights, you need the harness no matter what, others say only if you use 55W bulb/ballast not if you have 35W.

Anyone?
Just to be on the safe side I would install a relay harness no matter what. When I originally used 35w HIDs in my fogs they would work most of the time, but occasionally only one would turn on. I would have to switch them off and back on once or twice before they would both turn on. Once I made a harness the problem went away.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.