Installed a Billet Technology Catch Can on the CRD - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Installed a Billet Technology Catch Can on the CRD

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-29-2012, 07:12 PM   #46
mw1414
2008 WK 

Oh boy, what a crazy couple of days. In early December I installed my Billet Technology catch can into the airbox like suzieque’s photos. The catch can worked great in the city for over a month. I just had my first long trip. I had the Jeep on the highway for 120 km at an average of 118 km/h, with one rapid acceleration. When I was approaching my rest-stop I smelled some oil and the oil light was intermittent. At the stop I was able to see loads of oil which had spurted from the dipstick, coating everything directly behind the dipstick. The dipstick was out of its seated position by about a half inch and there were no other obvious signs of oil leakage from anywhere else. The inside of the hood over and behind the dipstick was covered in oil (like it had erupted). The dipstick was reading below minimum oil. Odd and scary. At my rest stop I needed to add 7 litres of oil and it still was not at max. That’s a lot of lost oil!!!! What a mess, Oil everywhere!
After adding oil the trip continued for 100 km and the dipstick remained in position but there is a small amount of oil leaking from the dipstick. Not blown out – just seeping out. Since the replacement of oil I have driven a total of 300 highway km and the oil continues to seep out from the dipstick.

1. I used 3/8 inch rubber fuel line for the catch can install. 3/8 inch was easy because I could find barbed fittings and a fuel grade rubber hose at Princess Auto. Seems ½ or ¾ inch fuel/oil grade hose is more difficult to find. Does the hose need to be ½ inch or ¾ inch in order to permit enough blow-by without pressure build-up?

2. I have one 90 degree bend similar to suzique’s photo on page 1 of this thread (at the turbo outlet). But my 90 degree bend is made of a 3/8 inch metal fitting. Suzieque is your 90 degree fitting at the turbo outlet metal? It looks similar to a fitting used in the natural gas/propane industry. Could my 90 degree bend be causing some pressure build-up in the oil system somewhere?

3. During my last oil change I noticed there was no o-ring on the dipstick so I consulted a local shop and we found one that would fit. Could the O-ring on my dipstick be too small? Does anyone have a part number or exact size (interior/exterior dimensions) of the stock O-ring on the dipstick?

4. r unda - Where did you get your 1 inch “U” shaped hose? What application is this originally designed for? I couldn’t get a hose that didn’t kink when bending. Where did you get your 1” to ½ inch reducer? Again what application was this originally designed for (automotive or something else?) Is your ½ inch hose fuel grade?

I need some help with this issue or I will be forced to go back to the stock set-up and risk the long term issues with the oil blow-by. Any ideas?

mw1414 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2012, 07:24 PM   #47
Radcrd
2007 WK 

I have mentioned this before.... beware using catch cans and elephant hose mods in winter climates. The condensation tends to freeze up in the hoses and and causes pressure build up elsewhere. This MAY be your issue. Count yourself lucky if only the dipstick failed?? in the TDI world it is the turbo seals that blow as they are the weakest link. Seen it happen plenty of times, blown turbos leaving cars stranded in middle of winter is no fun. Put it back stock, or use only in summer months. There is no harm or long term issues with having oil in your intake.
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Radcrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #48
DieselDevotion
2007 WK 

You don't have adequate venting and pressure is building up in the crankcase. The 3/8 line is not large enough. You also run the risk of blowing out oil seals in your engine. The stock set up is much better for your engine than what you currently have.
DieselDevotion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #49
mw1414
2008 WK 

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm 200 km from Ottawa, all of the parts for my stock configuration are in Ottawa and the dealers here in Kingston are closed on Sunday. Two options?
1. Wait in Kingston until a dealer opens on Monday morning and spend another $146.90 to purchase another new air intake assembly (if they have one in stock); or
2. I can try to find a piece of 3/4 inch or 1" hose from a Home Depot/Cdn Tire to go between the turbo and the stock air intake until I get home? This temporary set-up would not benefit from the in-line heater but would eliminate the issue of pressure build-up that I have been having.
$146.90 seems cheaper than a new turbo. But a piece of hose which may only cost a couple dollars should replicate the stock set-up temporarily. Suggestions?
Unread 12-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #50
BAH101
2008 WK 

I had the EHM on for a while, with a catch can in-line and without. Found it smoked quite bad and was very smelly. Then I routed the lines to the airbox, used 1/2" hydraulic fittings from the catch can to the airbox. All worked ok, except the catch can collected no oil, it just deposited it into the bottom of the airbox.
Now I am back to stock.
Unread 12-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #51
r_unda

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw1414 View Post
4. r unda - Where did you get your 1 inch “U” shaped hose? What application is this originally designed for? I couldn’t get a hose that didn’t kink when bending. Where did you get your 1” to ½ inch reducer? Again what application was this originally designed for (automotive or something else?) Is your ½ inch hose fuel grade?
The 1 inch “U” shaped hose came from Oreally’s Auto Parts. The where nice enough to let me go to the back and pick the hose I needed. It is a long radiator hose (about 1.5 feet) with a “U” at one end.

The reducer I bought it here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDevotion View Post
You don't have adequate venting and pressure is building up in the crankcase. The 3/8 line is not large enough. You also run the risk of blowing out oil seals in your engine. The stock set up is much better for your engine than what you currently have.
I agree with this statement. My guess is that our engines are producing a lot more blowby than suzieque’s engine.

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm 200 km from Ottawa, all of the parts for my stock configuration are in Ottawa and the dealers here in Kingston are closed on Sunday. Two options?
1. Wait in Kingston until a dealer opens on Monday morning and spend another $146.90 to purchase another new air intake assembly (if they have one in stock); or
2. I can try to find a piece of 3/4 inch or 1" hose from a Home Depot/Cdn Tire to go between the turbo and the stock air intake until I get home? This temporary set-up would not benefit from the in-line heater but would eliminate the issue of pressure build-up that I have been having.
$146.90 seems cheaper than a new turbo. But a piece of hose which may only cost a couple dollars should replicate the stock set-up temporarily. Suggestions?
Why don’t you try the regular Elephant Hose Mod without the catch can, just a 1” hose open to atmosphere? I went back to stock so I have not tried it but a lot of members are running the EHM without a problem. This could be your solution right now.

2011 WK2 HEMI 4x4 Overland
2007 WK CRD 4x4 Limited GDE Tuned
1998 TJ SE
1973 CJ5 - YJ OME 2.5" lift, 33" tires
1951 Willys truck
r_unda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #52
jaje
2007 WK 

I run the EHM vent to the atmosphere and have not had an issue with it. Only that it smells up the garage as the cc gasses smell like well an engine crankcase. I park my Jeep in the garage and keep the door closed all the time to keep in the warmer air. Even though we are below freezing the past couple of weeks I've had no issues with the EHM.
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #53
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Oh boy, what a crazy couple of days. In early December I installed my Billet Technology catch can into the airbox like suzieque’s photos. The catch can worked great in the city for over a month. I just had my first long trip. I had the Jeep on the highway for 120 km at an average of 118 km/h, with one rapid acceleration. When I was approaching my rest-stop I smelled some oil and the oil light was intermittent. At the stop I was able to see loads of oil which had spurted from the dipstick, coating everything directly behind the dipstick. The dipstick was out of its seated position by about a half inch and there were no other obvious signs of oil leakage from anywhere else. The inside of the hood over and behind the dipstick was covered in oil (like it had erupted). The dipstick was reading below minimum oil. Odd and scary. At my rest stop I needed to add 7 litres of oil and it still was not at max. That’s a lot of lost oil!!!! What a mess, Oil everywhere!
After adding oil the trip continued for 100 km and the dipstick remained in position but there is a small amount of oil leaking from the dipstick. Not blown out – just seeping out. Since the replacement of oil I have driven a total of 300 highway km and the oil continues to seep out from the dipstick.

1. I used 3/8 inch rubber fuel line for the catch can install. 3/8 inch was easy because I could find barbed fittings and a fuel grade rubber hose at Princess Auto. Seems ½ or ¾ inch fuel/oil grade hose is more difficult to find. Does the hose need to be ½ inch or ¾ inch in order to permit enough blow-by without pressure build-up?

2. I have one 90 degree bend similar to suzique’s photo on page 1 of this thread (at the turbo outlet). But my 90 degree bend is made of a 3/8 inch metal fitting. Suzieque is your 90 degree fitting at the turbo outlet metal? It looks similar to a fitting used in the natural gas/propane industry. Could my 90 degree bend be causing some pressure build-up in the oil system somewhere?

3. During my last oil change I noticed there was no o-ring on the dipstick so I consulted a local shop and we found one that would fit. Could the O-ring on my dipstick be too small? Does anyone have a part number or exact size (interior/exterior dimensions) of the stock O-ring on the dipstick?

I need some help with this issue or I will be forced to go back to the stock set-up and risk the long term issues with the oil blow-by. Any ideas?
I used the diameter of hose included with the Billet Technology catch can. I'd have to grab some scrap hose to measure the inside diameter, but I'm pretty sure its bigger than 3/8" that you used. A 3/8" hose could be introducing a 50% restriction in airflow over a 3/4". Some of the ebay catch cans do have small diameter hoses and fittings, you want to avoid those (in my opinion) on diesel engines.

It took me a bit of time at Home Depot to find an adapter to go from the CCV valve and take a 90 degree turn to the Billet Technology catch can.

I've used my Jeep with the Billet Technology catch can installed while pulling my trailer and I know it was running at near full turbo boost so lots of crankcase pressure but no issues with the dipstick or oil fill cap.

I carry the stock CCV hose with me in case I need to drop in at a dealership, takes me less than 10 minutes to remove the Billet Technology catch can and hoses and return to a stock setup. I will do a measurement of a cut stock CCV hose at some point, seems to me the inside diameter of the stock CCV hose (in the center section) is 3/4", but the stock hose returns to the air intake tube so a vacuum is being applied to the stock CCV hose. That is why I ran by return hose to the airbox, at least some vacuum is being applied.

I got pinged by another member on another forum because his setup did freeze up with some condensation. He was parked outside in northern Alberta. I don't remember if he ran the return hose to the airbox (like my setup), or if he just ran it under the Jeep. I am pretty sure he ran the return hose under the Jeep. I park in a heated garage, so I have not seen the freeze up problem myself.

I ran 3/4" heater hose while with my Racor, it was fine for a short term, its just not oil rated hose.

Do you carry the stock CCV hose? Did you route the Billet Technology catch can return hose to your airbox like I did?
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #54
dandarst
2008 WK 

Couple years ago I used 5/8" power steering hose to the atmosphere, still working, no problem summer or winter.
Prevost liberty detroit 60 series
dandarst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2012, 01:02 PM   #55
mw1414
2008 WK 

Thanks for everyone's input. I appreciate all of the responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieque View Post
Do you carry the stock CCV hose? Did you route the Billet Technology catch can return hose to your airbox like I did?
I do not carry the stock CCV hose with me. I didn't think it would be necessary. If I do go back to using the Oil Catch can in the spring I will definitely carry the stock hose just in case. I left the catch can mounted to the Jeep to use when the temperature gets warmer.
I did route the catch can hose to the airbox. Looked like the exact entry point into the airbox as in your photos.
The inside hose diameter that came from Billet was 1/2 inch.

Here is my update.
In order to return from Kingston to Ottawa I stopped at Canadian Tire and purchased a small brass fitting (3/8 inch thread to 1/2 inch barb) and 6 feet of 1/2 inch heater hose. The end with the 3/8 inch thread fit perfect into the CCV hose that I had previously cut in half. The barbed end with a clamp held the 6 feet of heater hose. I routed the heater hose behind the engine (into the atmosphere) and secured with a tie. Basically an Elephant Hose Mod.

I am assuming my catch-can set-up did not work for two reasons.
1. The 3/8 inch diameter hose that I chose was too narrow; and/or
2. The average temperate has been -12 degrees Celsius. The Jeep has been outside and any moisture or condensation is simply accumulating rather than melting and getting blown through the system. This condensation is built-up somewhere between the CCV valve and the airbox preventing/limiting the blow-by.

I am considering myself lucky that the oil dipstick blew and not something more catastrophic. Immediately after the blow-out I was close to a scheduled rest stop and was forced to add 8 litres of oil. There wasn't much oil left in the system and the engine could have easily seized.

The first three pictures are the parts I used to connect the catch can. The last two are the temporary parts I used to get home. The Jeep is now back to stock. Except for the thick coat of oil on everything behind the dipstick.
dec-2012-ccv-catch-can.jpg   dec-2012-catch-can-airbox.jpg   dec-2012-airbox-attachment.jpg   dec-2012-quick-fix.jpg   dec-2012-heater-hose.jpg  

Last edited by mw1414; 12-31-2012 at 05:02 PM..
Unread 12-31-2012, 03:26 PM   #56
suzieque
2008 WK 

thanks for the update.

there was another CRD owner that could not get any catch can setup to work without blowing oil. he ended up going the route of the elephant hose mod and venting to the atmosphere. makes me wonder if there are reasons why some CRDs have more blowby than others. I will do a bit more research, but I have not read of any tests to measure blowby at different rpm.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
Unread 01-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #57
JeepinShep
2007 WK 

Suzieque, I have a lot of atmospheric vent with my EHM - to the point I'm planning on doing a custom catch can with 1" hose just to handle the flow.. And gods forbid if I pop the fill cap while the engine is idling. It looks like the jeep's on fire there's so much visible "smoke" pouring out. I don't know if I have blow-by on the rings in glazed cylinder walls from previous owner not running it above city speeds to clean 'em out, or if my turbo seals are starting to fail, or what - but neither of those two are anything I want to casually go poking at.. Hence the oversized catch can hoses and 'leave well enough alone' on the possible causes for now.

when I pulled the kidney bean, it was soaked through - oil was pouring out - so I know it's been a long-term problem (I've had the WK for 14k of its 88k miles). Once I get a permanent catch can in place, I'll look into pulling the intercooler and pouring it out, too. Just to see how much gunk it has accumulated.
2007 WK Limited, Red Rock Crystal, 3.0L CRD, QD-II. OME HD lift. 255x75x17s. Pinchweld mod. 1.5" Alloy hub-centric spacers. F/R Stillen rotors and pads. 4xG rear diff guard and belly armor. Tuned by Green Diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoch
...you never, ever, skimp on suspension and tires as they will save your *** when you do something stupid - and .. you *will* do something stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeansWings
Rock crawling is a whole 'nother animal. To me, the off-camber low rpm negotiation of lines provides a different type of adrenaline than plowing through mud. It's terrifying at times, but the pride of looking back at what you just climbed over is what is addictive.
JeepinShep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #58
suzieque
2008 WK 

After watching a 3.0l crd video on youtube, I removed the oil fill cap while idling and quite a bit of oil fumes and vapour came out, much more than on any gas engine i owned previously. That was with my stock ccv hose in place. That made me wonder, "what is an acceptable/unacceptable amount of 3.0l blowby?". Still no answer to that question.
Unread 02-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #59
suzieque
2008 WK 

just a quick update for you guys.

given all the concerns about the small hoses/fittings in the Billet Catch Can, I'm going to re-install my Racor (it has 3/4" inside diamater hose), until I get the Billet Technology catch can be drilled and tapped for larger fittings to support 3/4" (inside diameter hose).
Unread 02-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #60
JeepinShep
2007 WK 

I made the mistake of getting a CC with 1" inner diameter hoses. finding 1" hoses that are suitable has proven to be quite a challenge, as has finding the adapters to choke to the 3/4" off the crank case and into the intake.. Oh well. Live and learn.
2007 WK Limited, Red Rock Crystal, 3.0L CRD, QD-II. OME HD lift. 255x75x17s. Pinchweld mod. 1.5" Alloy hub-centric spacers. F/R Stillen rotors and pads. 4xG rear diff guard and belly armor. Tuned by Green Diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoch
...you never, ever, skimp on suspension and tires as they will save your *** when you do something stupid - and .. you *will* do something stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeansWings
Rock crawling is a whole 'nother animal. To me, the off-camber low rpm negotiation of lines provides a different type of adrenaline than plowing through mud. It's terrifying at times, but the pride of looking back at what you just climbed over is what is addictive.
JeepinShep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.