Installed a Billet Technology Catch Can on the CRD - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Installed a Billet Technology Catch Can on the CRD

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #16
r_unda

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nice! where did you get the clear catch can? mine is solid!

Thanks!

2011 WK2 HEMI 4x4 Overland
2007 WK CRD 4x4 Limited GDE Tuned
1998 TJ SE
1973 CJ5 - YJ OME 2.5" lift, 33" tires
1951 Willys truck
r_unda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #17
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Well, that is sure a lot prettier than my elephant hose. Nice job.

Interestingly, when I recently took my rig in for warranty replacement of my Alternator, I pointed the elephant hose out to the mechanic. He shrugged and said, "We don't care about that, sgot nutting to do with the alternator."

I sort of expected them to complain about it.
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #18
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieque View Post
I removed the K&N filter and installed a STP air filter I bought from Pep Boys for $11.
Why did you replace the K&N?
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #19
TangoTango
2008 WK 

Probably because the $11 filter was cheeper than the cleaning kit for the K&N?

With diesel's... there is usually a list of "approved air filters" AND if you are not running one of these approved air filters and your engine dies.. then no warentee.

This is because some cheep air filters have been know to come apart, and putting chunks of the air filter in the valves, which doesn't work well.
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #20
fred99x
2008 WK 

I had the Racor 3500 filter installed and have now removed it as oil was still getting through to the turbo (now listed in classified if interested). Is suzieque's air box the box where the air filter is? If so, I had the vent from the front differential run to the air box because at the time, we were getting really bad odours from the differential oil. I checked the air filter a little while back and found that just the fumes from the differential coated the air filter and the filter looked pretty gummed up. Just an fyi.
fred99x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #21
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred99x View Post
I had the Racor 3500 filter installed and have now removed it as oil was still getting through to the turbo. Is your air box the box where the air filter is? If so, I had the vent from the front differential run to the air box because at the time, we were getting really bad odours from the differential oil. I checked the air filter a little while back and found that just the fumes from the differential coated the air filter and the filter looked pretty gummed up. Just an fyi.
Yes that's where the air filter is. Good idea to run the front differential vent hose to the same spot. I had read that the front different put off a bad smell when it is hot, I've not experienced that myself to date.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #22
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoTango View Post
Probably because the $11 filter was cheeper than the cleaning kit for the k&n?

...some cheep air filters have been know to come apart, and putting chunks of the air filter in the valves, which doesn't work well.
Well I checked the area around my maf sensor and noticed a very slight oil film, i was nervous about a maf failure so I put in the paper filter. I am not sure if the oil film was k&n oil or from the crankcase gases, a switch to paper filter would be a good test.

The stp filter seemed much better quality than the fram filter I tested, the fram actually tore around the edge and seemed very flimsy.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
Unread 07-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #23
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_unda View Post
Nice! where did you get the clear catch can? mine is solid!

Thanks!
It's a catch can from a company called billet technology, their common catch can is also solid but they sell a clear container as an option, I think it's great!
Unread 07-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #24
fishinbama
2007 WK 

I have already resigned myself to an intake cleaning somewhere down the line. I have tried several different catch cans and EHM mods without 100% success. After the GDE tune I just put it all back to stock. Sometimes the fumes would drift up when idling and securing child car seats. Those flaps need to come out anyway and who knows how far I can get before I have to do it.
fishinbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2012, 10:27 AM   #25
BAH101
2008 WK 

So Suzieque, how is your EHM into the airbox mod coming along? No issues? I think I might route my hose the same, I'm getting tired of the smell I get sometimes.
Unread 08-31-2012, 11:48 AM   #26
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAH101 View Post
So Suzieque, how is your EHM into the airbox mod coming along? No issues? I think I might route my hose the same, I'm getting tired of the smell I get sometimes.
love it so far! I did a long highway trip (1200 miles in 10 days), pulling a 5000lb trailer and emptied the catch can back into the crankcase halfway through the trip, not cause it was "full" but I like to keep the catch can fairly empty.

my air box and air filter had oil residue. Though I doubt the oil stain affected the paper air filter performance, but I replaced the $11 paper air filter anyway, haven't cleaned the lower half of the air box yet, just haven't had time.
Unread 08-31-2012, 11:55 AM   #27
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred99x View Post
If so, I had the vent from the front differential run to the air box because at the time, we were getting really bad odours from the differential oil. I checked the air filter a little while back and found that just the fumes from the differential coated the air filter and the filter looked pretty gummed up. Just an fyi.
I was waiting for the right time to post this, so here's my take on this. When the jeep was brand new I had no front differential vent odour. I changed the differential fluids myself and again, no front differential vent odours.

Then recently, I had the dealership do the differentials, I supplied all the correct fluids (same as I used before) and then I noticed the nasty odour while on my long vacation trip!

Got home, put the jeep on ramps and checked the fluid level in the front, it was low! I bet the buggers only put in 1 litre in the front, even though I gave them more than enough fluid (I know how much it should take, having done it myself once). I topped up the front with another 0.5 litre and the smell is "nearly" gone. I suspect, that the front fluid is "cooked" from being 30% low, I will change it again myself and let you know if the smell is gone.

So though I'm not positive, you guys getting front differential odours may have low or "cooked" fluids. Best to check it.

by the way, I was going to vent my diff to the air box too, but maybe there is to much vacuum pulling up vapors, not sure.
Unread 09-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #28
fishinbama
2007 WK 

It looks nice to me. I hope it works out for you Suzie as it will give us another option. Don't forget if you do get an MAF code that you can clean the maf in a bag of alchohol.
fishinbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #29
fred99x
2008 WK 

I had the front differential odour and dealership changed the fluid two different times attempting to remove the odour. After the second fluid change, the smell seemed to be gone. Just to make sure, I vented the front diff into the air box. After about a year, the air box filter was coated with oil film and a lot of particles were stuck to the filter so I replaced the filter and vented the diff back to atmosphere. The front diff smell no longer is apparent. All I know for sure is the smell started after pulling our travel trailer and as far as I know, the fluid level was not low. Also, once the fluid smells, you pretty well have to replace it to get rid of the odour.
fred99x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #30
etp

Is there any need for a catch can on a 3.7L WK? I haven't seen one installed on a 3.7 yet and was curious why I haven't.
05 Laredo WK - 3.7L QT1 - OME HD 3" - 245/75/17 Goodyear Wrangler Authorities - Graphite MOAB Rims - 1.25" Spidertrax Spacers - K&N 77 CAI - SCT Tuner w/ 93 Octane - Fastman TB - Magnaflow Exhaust - Infinity Kappa Speakers w/JVC KDR-820BT
etp is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.