Installed a Billet Technology Catch Can on the CRD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Installed a Billet Technology Catch Can on the CRD

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 05-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
suzieque
2008 WK 

Installed a Billet Technology Catch Can on the CRD

Well, I installed a Billet Technology Catch Can designed for the WK Hemi on to a WK CRD. The bracket the catch can came with had to to be flipped to fit to the strut bar of the CRD. I like the look of it. I need to show a photo of how it is connected to the airbox on the CRD.

I bought a Billet Technology catch can from a member on another site. I really wanted the BT brand and I wanted a clear container so I could check it quickly without removing.

Here is the top view of the catch can from the WK Hemi, notice the hoses are quite short. I bougtht is used from another member, $150 shipped.

Here is the side view, I love the clear container, you can see oil in it right away:

Here is the braided hose kit I bought to dress up the hoses, $30 from a local auto supply store, also comes in blue or silver fittings, I got red to match the catch can. There is is enough braiding to do some other hoses, including the raditor hose.

Here is the side view with the braided hose kit installed. I cut the stock PCV hose in half and spliced in the catch can hose on one end then on the other end I plugged hose that goes to the air intact tube. Notice the long exit hose, wonder why it's so long?

I connected the hose to the airbox in front of the air filter.

Here is the system installed first without the engine cover:

Here is the system installed first with the engine cover:

2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
p3busman

Please let us know how often you have to clean the oil out.
p3busman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3busman View Post
Please let us know how often you have to clean the oil out.
what I've noticed so far is that driving around the city doesn't generate alot of oil. On the highway though the CRD is under boost all the time and that is when I see quite a bit of oil. I wrote down the mileage at install and I will measure it at 1800 miles, or when the container is 1/3 full, whichever comes first.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
Unread 05-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
nostaw22
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Just trying to make sure I'm following what you've done... You're using this catch can thing like a ProVent/Racor filter to capture oil, but instead of routing back into the intake just before the turbo (e.g. the stock CCV routing) you're feeding the CCV gases into the air box?

JW
Unread 05-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #5
Sizzlenut

Please let us know how often you have to replace your air filter.
Sizzlenut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #6
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostaw22 View Post
Just trying to make sure I'm following what you've done... You're using this catch can thing like a ProVent/Racor filter to capture oil, but instead of routing back into the intake just before the turbo (e.g. the stock CCV routing) you're feeding the CCV gases into the air box?

JW
Yes, that is correct, and the reason is that my experience is that all catch cans still let through a bit of oil mist in the CRD. I'm using the air filter to stop that completely. Some guys would just vent it under the Jeep, but I don't want any drips on the driveway, plus using the airbox provides a bit of a vacuum to ensure a positive flow.
Unread 05-07-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzlenut View Post
Please let us know how often you have to replace your air filter.
I have a K&N air filter, so I will let the oil just lubricate the filter.
Unread 05-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #8
terrasmak
2007 WK 

Anyone who is interested , look in the elephant hose mod thread, I posted a much better catch can for a cheaper price.
Unread 05-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #9
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrasmak View Post
Anyone who is interested , look in the elephant hose mod thread, I posted a much better catch can for a cheaper price.
but it does not look as sweet as this.
Unread 05-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #10
terrasmak
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieque View Post
but it does not look as sweet as this.
But it is fully baffled and really good design. I don't drive around with my hood removed or open, so looks are not important, function is,
Unread 05-07-2012, 06:50 PM   #11
Dr. Internet
2012 WK 

Actually, Terrasmak's installation looks more like an OEM part, so it would probably fool most Chrysler "Diesel" (sic) mechanics, except for the hardware store hose clamps. Need to find some more expensive clamps that only work once, to fit into the general schema under the hood.

Susieque's adds a lot more bling under there, but would stand out during an inspection, IMHO.

Either is better than the POS intake system Chrysler's engineers (?) sold us.

What ever happened to the class action lawsuit against Chrysler for this obviously flawed design?

2012 Black Grand Cherokee Overland Summit 4x4
USN Club Hull # WK-13
TEXAS Jeep Club #29
Dr. Internet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #12
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
I don't drive around with my hood removed or open, so looks are not important, function is,
It's true, I suppose nearly any mod, whether a lift or cold air intake or wheels or catch can could be done cheaper, I was going for looks and function.

I'll be first to admit this is my fourth version of a catch can or bypass, I like this setup the best (so far). By the way I remove my catch can when my Jeep goes in for service (I make sure it can come out in 15 minutes or less when designing), so blending in to a stock look is not as important.
Unread 05-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #13
oilverland
2008 WK 

Quote:
Can't find it. Can you provide URL?

Thx
Unread 05-08-2012, 12:11 AM   #14
terrasmak
2007 WK 

http://saikoufabrication.blogspot.co...&max-results=3 is the one i'm going with for my car and my Jeep. His site sucks so you have to look around on it. It is chambered , has mesh , really cool setup.
Unread 07-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #15
suzieque
2008 WK 

Here is my catch can at about 1600 miles, 50% highway miles, 50% city miles.

I dumped this into a measuring cup, it's a bit less than1/4 cup of oil. So, do the math, if you've not had a catch can installed, and your vehicle has 45000 miles on it, your intake may have injested 7 cups of oil!

Here is my hose from the catch can going to the airbox...

I found an oil stain in the airbox that I cleaned out, the liquid you see is water after I washed it, I will let it air dry and then reinstall the filter, so some vapor gets through the catch can and to the output hose. I removed the K&N filter and installed a STP air filter I bought from Pep Boys for $11.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.