Install factory trailer hitch info - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Install factory trailer hitch info

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-16-2009, 11:47 PM   #1
kevin1977
2008 WK 

Install factory trailer hitch info

Hi all i need a little help. I have a 2008 Wk crd and it didn't come it the tow package. I'm going to the dealer to put it in the way it would have come from the factory (maybe)lol. Any info about the trailer sway and if it is just something they have to scan in or if there is a piece needed. The green wire that is for the trailer brakes if it came from the factory would be near the fuse box under the dash but were will they put it now will it even have it? The dealer said that if i started towing near the max i would need a transmission cooler installed does that sound right? It wouldn't come from the factory like that would it? From what i read it didn't it might just be a good idea though. Any help on what its suppose to come from the factory with would be great.

Thanks
Kevin

kevin1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2009, 07:44 AM   #2
scottydog
2006 WK 

A lot of GCs came with the heavy duty cooling package, which includes a tranny cooler and power steering cooler, plus an extra radiator fan? The wiring should be there for the hitch, including the brake wire. Check your build sheet (take the vin to the dealer and they can print one out for you) for heavy duty cooling and ps cooling.

If you don't have those your loads are more limited. You can install the hitch yourself if you're brave enough to cut the bumper (not hard with a dremel) but the dealer has to turn on the tow wiring with starscan.
scottydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2009, 11:04 AM   #3
colinzj
2006 WK 

Check your build sheet like scottydog said, but your year's (or 07, either way) when Jeep decided to start cheaping out on the HD cooling and making you buy it as an accessory if you didn't have the tow package.

Trailer sway control, according to Jeep, cannot be added to a vehicle that doesn't have it. I think Merlin has commented on this before, hopefully he'll pop in.
Unread 01-17-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
merlinTec

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinzj View Post
Check your build sheet like scottydog said, but your year's (or 07, either way) when Jeep decided to start cheaping out on the HD cooling and making you buy it as an accessory if you didn't have the tow package.

Trailer sway control, according to Jeep, cannot be added to a vehicle that doesn't have it. I think Merlin has commented on this before, hopefully he'll pop in.
Hi
Thanks colinzj he ask me about this in a PM but the US tow package is different to the UK one so I couldnít be of much help to him so advised he post here to ask other that has had this done. But thanks for thinking of me.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 01-17-2009, 01:48 PM   #5
z_gilligan
2010 JK Wrangler 

I installed the hitch myself in my garage. The hardest thing was trying to find a way to snake the wire harness from the back of the vehicle to the front of the vehicle. I cut the bumper with a dremel...easy! Just take your time. The hitch is easy, just 4 bolts to install and you are good.
Like scottydog said you do have to take the vehicle to the dealer to have the hitch scanned in. My dealer took 40 bucks from me.
Any questions let me know
z_gilligan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2009, 05:35 PM   #6
kevin1977
2008 WK 

so the trail sway isn't going to happen but the HD cooling came with the tow package or doesn't? Just want to know what it is missing so as to added it in the future if needed or now. thanks for all the replys so far.
Kevin
Unread 01-19-2009, 08:45 AM   #7
dreamps
2008 WK 

if i were you id go to http://www.etrailer.com/pc-H~87752.h...cleid=20086288 and buy it!!! you dont have to cut the bumper and it is better than the factory hitch. i have it and installed it in like 20 mins. really easy to do. ill post pics of it on photobucket so you can see.
dreamps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2009, 09:01 AM   #8
JoeJP

Talk to your dealer, because I don't know about the CRD; but 2008 4.7 & 5.7l GC's all have the sway control as part of the stability program, it just has to be activated by the dealer. None of the 2008's have the wiring installed (unlike earlier wk's that you just had to plug into), which is a pita to run and needs the dealer to turn on. As far as other components, the 4.7l needs the auxilliary fan (a mechanical unit that mounts on the waterpump - just like the old days), but that is it (to achieve the full tow rating) - the 4.7's & 5.7's all have the transmission and ps coolers.
The factory hitch is specifically designed to attach to the designed frame point, which is behind the bumper (The e-trailer piece mounts the same way - all it does is avoid cutting the bumper, which is the easiest part of the job), and is easy to install - just pull the bumper cover off (you will need a 1/4" rivet tool to put it back on), 4 bolts and a torque wrench (115 ft.lbs), and cut the plastic with either a dremel or rotozip (it is pre-marked) and you are done in less than an hour.

Also, you can get the factory hitch for less than $90, and the Hidden Hitch is $110.

Last edited by JoeJP; 01-19-2009 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: Hitch price
JoeJP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2009, 09:36 AM   #9
WSPJeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Dreamps, let me know when you get some pictures up. I am highly interested in the e-trailer hidden hitch. Thanks
WSPJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2009, 09:52 AM   #10
my04gt

also check ebay i got mine there and the wireing as well
my04gt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2009, 10:30 AM   #11
dreamps
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPJeep View Post
Dreamps, let me know when you get some pictures up. I am highly interested in the e-trailer hidden hitch. Thanks
ill run outside in about 30 mins at lunch time and snap some pics so give me about 40 mins from now i love it and i've towed a 21ft stingray boat with it no problems. its a damn good hitch wiring is easy as h***!!!!
Unread 01-19-2009, 02:54 PM   #12
merlinTec

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJP View Post
Talk to your dealer, because I don't know about the CRD; but 2008 4.7 & 5.7l GC's all have the sway control as part of the stability program, it just has to be activated by the dealer. None of the 2008's have the wiring installed (unlike earlier wk's that you just had to plug into), which is a pita to run and needs the dealer to turn on. As far as other components, the 4.7l needs the auxilliary fan (a mechanical unit that mounts on the waterpump - just like the old days), but that is it (to achieve the full tow rating) - the 4.7's & 5.7's all have the transmission and ps coolers.
The factory hitch is specifically designed to attach to the designed frame point, which is behind the bumper (The e-trailer piece mounts the same way - all it does is avoid cutting the bumper, which is the easiest part of the job), and is easy to install - just pull the bumper cover off (you will need a 1/4" rivet tool to put it back on), 4 bolts and a torque wrench (115 ft.lbs), and cut the plastic with either a dremel or rotozip (it is pre-marked) and you are done in less than an hour.

Also, you can get the factory hitch for less than $90, and the Hidden Hitch is $110.
Hi
Well thanks Joe this is why I come here to learn new thing. I didnít know the 08 had sway control till today and I read up on it. Not sure about dealer having to turn it on though as I have not seen it on star scan list http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...ar+scan&page=2 but could be elsewhere I will look some more. Going by the training I have had on this system it is active if you have trailer installed or not as this can be activated in strong winds. The handbook also doesnít say if activated when you read it in there but itís all good things to know.
Thanks,
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 01-19-2009, 03:09 PM   #13
dreamps
2008 WK 

another reason i should have gotten the v8... one more thing i would like to point out is that i believe the factory hitch is not 2".
Unread 01-19-2009, 03:20 PM   #14
kevin1977
2008 WK 

the factory hitch is 2" and rated at 7200lbs for the crd and i believe 7400 for the v8. I talked to one dealer and he didn't know about being able to activate it or not. don't think they have installed many and the ones they have people probably didn't ask. Merlin If you find any more info out on that and if it is in the crd and the v8 please post. Thanks all wish this info was easy to find its like pulling teeth from the dealer. Still trying to get my build sheet from jeep they are taking there sweet time. Its been over a week since i asked for it.
Unread 01-19-2009, 05:35 PM   #15
z_gilligan
2010 JK Wrangler 

Dreamps...
If you plan on going off road with the hidden hitch it will decrease your departure angle as it hangs lower than the bumper. I installed the factory bumper myself and that still drags some.
z_gilligan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.