Info on Cupped Tires? (CAUTION, Toyota Tech Involved) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Info on Cupped Tires? (CAUTION, Toyota Tech Involved)

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
LilyBayXJ
Wheels With Moose

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Info on Cupped Tires? (CAUTION, Toyota Tech Involved)

Hey guys, I'm in need of a schooling on IFS rigs, having owned nothing but solid axle Jeeps. Just a warning in advance, it involves my '07 Tacoma, so if you've got nothing to say but, "Toyota sucks," ect., please take it elsewhere. I figured you guys would likely be the most knowledgeable on the topic, so any help would be greatly appreciated

I've been a long-time member of the Jeeping community, having owned many Jeeps over the years. I've become fairly knowledgeable with mechanics, I've always done my own repairs. However, I've never owned a vehicle with IFS before, and know basically nothing about it's design.

I recently purchased a 2007 Access Cab 4x4 with 191,000 miles on it, for the steal price of $5,000. It's in mechanically good shape NOW, but it's had some recent work done, including new brakes all around and new CV Shafts up front.

The truck came with a set of 245/75/16 Cooper Discoverer S/T's on it, Load Range E. The tires have less than 10K miles on them. However, the tires that were previously on the front got cupped pretty bad from the worn CV's, and are worn down to about half-tread. (That's some serious tread wear!) The tires that were originally on the rear look in brand new condition.

Now, the PO replaced the front CV shafts and rotated the tires front/rear so the good tires are up front and the cupped tires in the rear. The cupped tires are bad enough to shake the whole truck between speeds of 20-80 MPH. Also, the shaking is felt in the steering wheel when the brakes are applied, which would lead me to believe warped rotors, but the rotors are new?

So, what would you guys do? Take it in for an alignment and have them re-balance the tires? Run it and wait for the cupped tires to wear down, or replace the two cupped tires? Replace all four?

FYI, for those unfamiliar, we're talking IFS up front, Solid Axle rear.

What're your thoughts? Thanks!

-Walt

1983 CJ-5 - Stock - Sold
TJ Boot Camp
LilyBayXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

CV axles don't cause cupped tires. Check the shocks/struts and get an alignment.

For the cupped tires on the rear, make sure they're reverse direction from what you had on the front. See if they'll rebalance and if they do they should eventually smooth out.
Unread 09-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

If the PO hammered the rotors to get them off while changing the CVs he probably warped them.
Unread 09-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
LilyBayXJ
Wheels With Moose

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Awesome, thanks a bunch for the advice. I'll have it aligned and re-balance the tires, and probably replace the shocks and struts then.
1983 CJ-5 - Stock - Sold
TJ Boot Camp
LilyBayXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.