Indescribable noise from underneath - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Indescribable noise from underneath

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRCI FUEL CELL BRACKET - Perfect for the back of your JeepARTEC LABOR DAY SALE - 15% off

Unread 07-10-2014, 10:18 AM   #1
sues_jeep
2005 WK 

Indescribable noise from underneath

First, thank you in advance for this message board. I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and when I hit a a hard enough bump in the road, there is the loudest most annoying and horrible noise I've ever heard. It sounds like something is stuck on the drive shaft, you can feel it hitting the floorboard just above the transfer case.The only way to fix it is to stop and put it in reverse and backup about 10 ft. I can't get it on a lift, don't have the tools or equipment. I just need to know what to tell the mechanic to look. Thank you!

sues_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2014, 10:54 AM   #2
colinzj
2006 WK 

Tell the mechanic exactly what you told us.
Unread 07-10-2014, 10:58 AM   #3
sues_jeep
2005 WK 

Thanks, I've done that twice, and both times the mechanic looked and said they couldn't see anything. I was hoping someone here might have had a similar experience, or maybe this is a not uncommon problem.
Unread 07-10-2014, 12:01 PM   #4
NameLikeNoOther

My WK Jeep Lemon did this too. It could be the Front Drive Shaft CV or the cheap plastic Transmission Skid Plate sometimes moves or dislodges from it's mounting tabs and rubs the Front Drive Shaft. On mine the noise was a combination of the two factors. But the backing up to solve the wobbling and noise was from the torched Front Drive Shaft CV. Mine fried at 150,000km of highway driving. Jeep is garbage.
NameLikeNoOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #5
Keeslinger31
2005 WK 

Check out the differential bushings one in front one on the top of the driveshaft and one on the passenger side
If those are bad they will let the differential twist making the driveshaft angle change

also crawl under there and check the front shaft for play in the cv on the transfer case end
and since you have an 05 the diff end should be ujoints
Unread 07-10-2014, 12:24 PM   #6
NameLikeNoOther

^^^^

Quote:
Check out the differential bushings one in front one on the top of the driveshaft and one on the passenger side
If those are bad they will let the differential twist making the driveshaft angle change
*** This is another issue mine had as well
NameLikeNoOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2014, 09:04 PM   #7
CRCs_Reality
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sues_jeep View Post
First, thank you in advance for this message board. I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and when I hit a a hard enough bump in the road, there is the loudest most annoying and horrible noise I've ever heard. It sounds like something is stuck on the drive shaft, you can feel it hitting the floorboard just above the transfer case.The only way to fix it is to stop and put it in reverse and backup about 10 ft. I can't get it on a lift, don't have the tools or equipment. I just need to know what to tell the mechanic to look. Thank you!
Rear parking brake cable!

No, really.. I had the EXACT issue right after I bought my '05, after a hard bump, the rear parking brake cable would drop enough to get snagged on my rear driveshaft and get 'wrapped' around it halfway. It made an awful racket and had me convinced something horrible was wrong, but backing up would fix it (because it would unwrap from the driveshaft). It drove my crazy for the better part of a week before I found it.

Easy to check, look at your rear parking brake cable right above the driveshaft (mine was catching by the rear u-joints) and see if it's all chewed up (mine was).
Luckily I caught mine before the cable was ruined, I fixed it by adding a spring to pull the cable slack up towards the body of the Jeep and it's never done it again.
Silver WK Club Member #116
CRCs_Reality is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2014, 08:45 AM   #8
sues_jeep
2005 WK 

Thank you thank you thank you!! Excellent feedback, and I believe it IS the parking brake cable. It makes perfect sense. Now I can't wait to get home and get under it. I'm heading to the mountains this weekend and the thought of listening to that horrible sound on every back road was not making me happy. But if I can't fix it now, well, I'll just deal with it like I've been doing for the past months.

You guys rock
Unread 07-11-2014, 10:11 AM   #9
Keeslinger31
2005 WK 

Crazy?! I guess lifting would also help fix this
Unread 07-16-2014, 10:22 AM   #10
sues_jeep
2005 WK 

CRCs_Reality, you rock! That's what it was, I crawled under and looked, and sure enough, cable was chewed up and there was a shiny spot on the U joint where it was catching. I tucked it up with the other cable, zip tied them together and Bob's yer uncle-Fanny's yer aunt...no more noise!!!!

It is truly a pleasure to drive my Jeep again, and bouncing down the dirt road to the Lost World Caverns (Lewisburg WV for spelunking) was the best test to see if the fix worked.

\_/ \_/ Cheers!
Unread 07-16-2014, 11:38 AM   #11
CRCs_Reality
2005 WK 

Outstanding! I'm glad that's all it was
Silver WK Club Member #116
CRCs_Reality is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.