If the I6 WJ is underpowered, then is the heavier V6 WK worse? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > If the I6 WJ is underpowered, then is the heavier V6 WK worse?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 02-15-2015, 08:35 PM   #1
shinyhalo
2000 WJ 

If the I6 WJ is underpowered, then is the heavier V6 WK worse?

I have read posts here saying the I6 is underpowered for a 4000 pound SUV and even though I'm no expert, my WJ I6 doesn't blow me away with power so I tend to believe this. Also, when I fill the gas tank or load it with concrete bags I can definitely tell the difference.

So... with the WK being about 500 pounds heavier curb weight, is this WK thing a slug or is the V6 better than the I6 for power? And long life?

shinyhalo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2015, 05:09 AM   #2
caulk04
2008 WK 

3.7 is sufficient for motivation. That's about it really. It'll get the job done for someone who just wants to drive.

Towing? Gonna suck.

Passing? Gonna suck.

Offroading? Not gonna be much fun, for two reasons (power and no low-range).
Unread 02-16-2015, 05:16 AM   #3
Marcus86GLHS

the power to weight ratio of the 6-cyl WJ and WK leave a lot to be desired but the ratio is on par with many other competing SUV's so from a market perspective I'd say Jeep did not do much better or worse than the competition.

After owning an I6 ZJ all of the GC's I bought afterwards had V8's.......a Hemi WK is one hell of a street brawler even in stock form against many other SUV's in same size/weight class.

2002 Wrangler Sahara, black, 4.0L, 5-speed, Dana 44 rear axle with Trac Loc LSD, duel tan tops, Canyon wheels with Wrangler Silent Armors. 75,000 miles, 2nd owner.
Marcus86GLHS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2015, 04:58 PM   #4
00RedWJ
2006 WK 

I've had both a WJ I6 4.0 and now a WK v6 3.7. The 3.7 feels better and much more peppier off the line and more suitable for the WK. Passing power is lacking but I have no complaints My WJ struggled when the car was loaded up. Both are very reliable engines. Gas mileage was about the same for both, and quite poor. My 2013 Suburban with a 5.3 V8 gets just about the same gas mileage and is so much bigger.

2006 Black Grand Cherokee Laredo WK
3.7 with 65,000 Miles
00RedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.