Ideas for increasing performance on newly purchased 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Ideas for increasing performance on newly purchased 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-09-2014, 10:06 AM   #16
Kman09JGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianj08 View Post

When you use a "91 perf tune" or "93 perf tune" does this require the use of 91 or 93 octane fuel as well? I do not have a Superchips for the 4.7 V8 but I am curious about them. I know the Jeep manual says to use only 87 octane.

Are there good MPG gains with these tuners? I have never used a programmer on a vehicle I have owned and do not know the process one would go through when using one. Is it worth it to use on a daily driver if one doesnt drive their Jeep hard?
Yes on the 91 perf tune I use 93 gas just because 91 isn't really available in N.E Ohio where I get gas. Yes in stock form you can only use 87 octane that's what its set up for. You will get some MPG gain but with more power your foot will be it more. On the WK the highest tune is the 91. 93 is only on the wrangler I believe. If you want MPG's you can use the 87 octane tune or the milage saver tune. Its real simple to use just plug it in and follow the step by step directions it gives you. You can even call SC and they will walk you through it. Yes it is definitely worth the money my jeep is my DD and the overall driveability is night and day. I would recommend the optional transmission app for 40 bucks.

Black WK Club #107
Kman09JGC is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2014, 10:16 AM   #17
brianj08
2005 WK 

have you used the 87 octane tune or mileage saver tune? what type of difference did you notice the first time you had the tune installed on the car versus stock? I hope i'm not being annoying just trying to figure out if it is worth it for a stock DD that I do not drive fast.
brianj08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2014, 01:05 PM   #18
Kman09JGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianj08 View Post
have you used the 87 octane tune or mileage saver tune? what type of difference did you notice the first time you had the tune installed on the car versus stock? I hope i'm not being annoying just trying to figure out if it is worth it for a stock DD that I do not drive fast.
No your not being annoying the forum is here to help. I never used the 87 or mileage tune I wanted the most power I could get. The first thing I noticed is the power down low and how it shifted from 2nd to 3rd. It pulls harder and revs faster than stock. My gen 2 4.7 really responded well to the 91 perf tune. You can always use more power and its definitely worth the price. I have Superchip # 3875 the new version is the #3872 same HP and tq numbers just processor speed and more options available. You might still be able to find and old #3875 around for cheaper. The #3872 you can buy anywhere.
Black WK Club #107
Unread 04-09-2014, 09:41 PM   #19
borderpatrol420
2005 WK 

I've also been reading a little bit on coil packs. Would this be something I could install on my 2005 5.7L Hemi?
borderpatrol420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2014, 12:34 AM   #20
Kolak
Vendor

I have the latest model Superchips 3872 on special this month. If anyone is interested, send me a PM or email me at kolak@aol.com
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2014, 01:15 AM   #21
rollindom

2005 WK 

I have been very happy with my DiabloSport Intune on my 5.7 (thanks Kolak). At 130k I did every fluid and sensor on mine. That was when I noticed a huge improvement on the way my WK ran. The plugs and O2 sensors were really bad. I have tried the mileage tune and it didn't impress me. Seemed like the MDS was kicking on and off more often than normal and I didn't see any increase on mpg. I ran the 87 tune with 89 octane and have been seeing 20 mpg on the highway. I also have a BT catch can but also have a K&N intake with prefilter.
rollindom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2014, 04:54 AM   #22
FJR06
2005 WK 

I purchased my 2005 WK 5.7 last August. Here are the things I did and my perceptions of their effects. I did all of these mods after extensive research in this forum. I have pics of some of these.

1. Replaced all 12 plugs myself with the mopar champions. Fun.... Don't know if they had ever been replaced (99,000 miles). Noticeable improvement in performance and stability.
2. Changed ALL fluids and filters making SURE to follow explicit Mopar recommendations for weights, additive to diffs, etc. Do not use after market filters in the transmission. My mechanic did that (I don't have a shop where I can easily do this sort of work) and one of the after market filters fell off its o-ringed post so the poor thing was sucking air. Scary. Start WK, put in gear, nothing happens... Thoughts of a $2000 transmission fix causes chest to tighten. Had to tow the WK to the shop. Mechanic covered all costs.
3. Took off the throttle body to clean, but it was in rough shape so I gave it the seafoam treatment through vacuum line to clear out the intake manifold (there are excellent threads) and then bought a new one - 85 mm ported from MM. Noticeable improvement in performance.
4. Bought the BT Catch Can. There is no plug and play bracket for our WK, so you have to make one and install yourself. There are a couple of excellent threads on that with pics. I painted everything black and I like it.
5. AFE State 2 cold air intake (thanks Kolak). I wrapped the intake tube with black insulating tape which tapered the sound just a bit. Noticeable improvement in performance and I like the sound (it is not loud, just has a deeper pitch).
6. NRG EPAC voltage stabilizer. Mixed opinions on the value of these things (lots of threads, some not so friendly), but I am happy to have it on the WK.
7. Sonnax booster - you can feel it for sure - tightens up the shifts. Seems that only a few of us run these. Cheap and easy to install. Install and drive for a couple of weeks before using the SC Tuner and tranny app if you want to combine them.
8. SC tuner with tranny app (thanks Kolak). Oh yes, this is the thing that makes the most difference. I don't run the 91 octane setting. The hemi is built to run lower octane so I run 87. The basic tune they provide is really nice, but the tranny app makes a huge difference in drivability and personal pleasure. It takes a pretty serious effort to fully understand the tranny app and how best to modify your shift schedules, put people here can help. I also used the tuner to disable my MDS and though it is subtle, I like it better without for a variety of reasons.
9. Just last week I installed a Sprint Booster. Oh yes, this thing really makes a difference! Changes the voltage ramp with accelerator pedal depression. Responsiveness is much improved. The stock WK has a super sluggish pedal response (foot goes down, voltage applied, WK thinks for a while, acceleration...) - extremely annoying to me after my 1996 Cherokee Sport that finally got so rusty that the frame broke... WK was an awesome upgrade, but the pedal delay.... yuk. This thing improves it considerably.
10. Bilstein 5100s (thanks, Kolak). Responsiveness improved significantly. I like the 2 inch lift and bigger tires too (cannot go bigger without other modifications - don't want to anyway).

If you are on a budget, I would do 1, 2, 3 (clean your existing TB and install a catch can). From there, 8 and 9 are the biggest bang for the buck, but the combined effects of 3 (85 mm TB), 5 and 7 were certainly very noticeable. My WK does 0-60 in approximately 6 seconds flat (using the second hand on a watch). Stock is around 7 seconds. It is a very different vehicle than the one I bought. I lost 1-2 MPG along the way, but I am very happy.

Finally, check to see if the N23 recall has been done. If it has not, then DO NOT do it at this point. there is a thread here with over 2000 posts.
2005 GC, 5.7 Hemi, QDII, BT Catch Can, Sonnax Transmission Line Pressure Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, NRG EPAC voltage stabilizer, Firestone Destination 255/70/17, Bilstein 5100 shocks and struts (with 2-inch lift setting), 2 inch Rusty's rear spacers, AFE Stage 2 CAI, Modern Muscle 85 mm ported throttle body, 4XGuard Front Guard.

Last edited by FJR06; 04-10-2014 at 06:15 AM..
FJR06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2014, 07:47 AM   #23
BLK05WK
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJR06 View Post
I purchased my 2005 WK 5.7 last August. Here are the things I did and my perceptions of their effects. I did all of these mods after extensive research in this forum. I have pics of some of these.

1. Replaced all 12 plugs myself with the mopar champions. Fun.... Don't know if they had ever been replaced (99,000 miles). Noticeable improvement in performance and stability.
2. Changed ALL fluids and filters making SURE to follow explicit Mopar recommendations for weights, additive to diffs, etc. Do not use after market filters in the transmission. My mechanic did that (I don't have a shop where I can easily do this sort of work) and one of the after market filters fell off its o-ringed post so the poor thing was sucking air. Scary. Start WK, put in gear, nothing happens... Thoughts of a $2000 transmission fix causes chest to tighten. Had to tow the WK to the shop. Mechanic covered all costs.
3. Took off the throttle body to clean, but it was in rough shape so I gave it the seafoam treatment through vacuum line to clear out the intake manifold (there are excellent threads) and then bought a new one - 85 mm ported from MM. Noticeable improvement in performance.
4. Bought the BT Catch Can. There is no plug and play bracket for our WK, so you have to make one and install yourself. There are a couple of excellent threads on that with pics. I painted everything black and I like it.
5. AFE State 2 cold air intake (thanks Kolak). I wrapped the intake tube with black insulating tape which tapered the sound just a bit. Noticeable improvement in performance and I like the sound (it is not loud, just has a deeper pitch).
6. NRG EPAC voltage stabilizer. Mixed opinions on the value of these things (lots of threads, some not so friendly), but I am happy to have it on the WK.
7. Sonnax booster - you can feel it for sure - tightens up the shifts. Seems that only a few of us run these. Cheap and easy to install. Install and drive for a couple of weeks before using the SC Tuner and tranny app if you want to combine them.
8. SC tuner with tranny app (thanks Kolak). Oh yes, this is the thing that makes the most difference. I don't run the 91 octane setting. The hemi is built to run lower octane so I run 87. The basic tune they provide is really nice, but the tranny app makes a huge difference in drivability and personal pleasure. It takes a pretty serious effort to fully understand the tranny app and how best to modify your shift schedules, put people here can help. I also used the tuner to disable my MDS and though it is subtle, I like it better without for a variety of reasons.
9. Just last week I installed a Sprint Booster. Oh yes, this thing really makes a difference! Changes the voltage ramp with accelerator pedal depression. Responsiveness is much improved. The stock WK has a super sluggish pedal response (foot goes down, voltage applied, WK thinks for a while, acceleration...) - extremely annoying to me after my 1996 Cherokee Sport that finally got so rusty that the frame broke... WK was an awesome upgrade, but the pedal delay.... yuk. This thing improves it considerably.
10. Bilstein 5100s (thanks, Kolak). Responsiveness improved significantly. I like the 2 inch lift and bigger tires too (cannot go bigger without other modifications - don't want to anyway).

If you are on a budget, I would do 1, 2, 3 (clean your existing TB and install a catch can). From there, 8 and 9 are the biggest bang for the buck, but the combined effects of 3 (85 mm TB), 5 and 7 were certainly very noticeable. My WK does 0-60 in approximately 6 seconds flat (using the second hand on a watch). Stock is around 7 seconds. It is a very different vehicle than the one I bought. I lost 1-2 MPG along the way, but I am very happy.

Finally, check to see if the N23 recall has been done. If it has not, then DO NOT do it at this point. there is a thread here with over 2000 posts.
Agreed with everything^
So far I've done 1-4 myself
I just received my Sonnax booster today actually and will be installing it tonight.
I'll give an update on that.
I'm gonna look at 8,9 myself too.
Never heard of a Sprint Booster.
I also just ordered all new o2 sensors, crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor. Not enough people look into changing these sensors in higher mileage WKs. I just got my wk at 130k from my in-laws completely stock. So I'm doing a few little things then calling it good.
I ordered all my sensors off rock auto for like $125
Unread 04-10-2014, 09:51 PM   #24
borderpatrol420
2005 WK 

That sprint booster is exactly what I'm looking for. I thought I was just stuck with that lag in my acceleration, but this is going to clear that issue right up. I had the same issue with my 92 Grand Marquis, so I'm already used to that type of lag. Awesome tips though FJR06, definitely looking into everything you listed. I also had the police package on my Marquis so it had an incredibly loose suspension. I could drive over speed bumps without much discomfort. The suspension on my WK is pretty nice, but I sure do miss my Marquis for that one reason. And finally, that N23 recall seems pretty serious. I bought it from a reputable dealer, so I'm sure they looked into this, but I'll call them tomorrow to make sure. Thanks for all the info FJR06, exactly what I was looking for.
borderpatrol420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2014, 10:36 PM   #25
jtodaro
1996 XJ Cherokee 

FJR06, Where can the Sprint Booster be obtained?

2005 Grand Cherokee Limited WK - Black, 5.7 Hemi, 545RFE, 3.73
Black WK Club Member #122 | HEMI Club Member #87
jtodaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2014, 03:22 AM   #26
FJR06
2005 WK 

Welcome borderpatrol420. The SprintBooster doesn't eliminate the throttle lag, but it improves it noticeably - at a price. If you search the forum you will find some discussions about it. There was a period when people were finding the single-setting ones on Amazon for $100 or something like that. There are three settings on mine - I keep it on the most aggressive one.

jtodaro, I got it here:

http://www.sprintboostersales.com/
2005 GC, 5.7 Hemi, QDII, BT Catch Can, Sonnax Transmission Line Pressure Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, NRG EPAC voltage stabilizer, Firestone Destination 255/70/17, Bilstein 5100 shocks and struts (with 2-inch lift setting), 2 inch Rusty's rear spacers, AFE Stage 2 CAI, Modern Muscle 85 mm ported throttle body, 4XGuard Front Guard.
Unread 04-11-2014, 05:22 AM   #27
Kman09JGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJR06 View Post
Welcome borderpatrol420. The SprintBooster doesn't eliminate the throttle lag, but it improves it noticeably - at a price. If you search the forum you will find some discussions about it. There was a period when people were finding the single-setting ones on Amazon for $100 or something like that. There are three settings on mine - I keep it on the most aggressive one.

jtodaro, I got it here:

http://www.sprintboostersales.com/
FJR06,
I have been looking at the sprint booster for a long time. Superchips improved throttle response but it is still there. Would you say sprint booster or New TB improved throttle response more. As far as the sonnax line booster would you have to take the tune out first and run it for awhile or can you put it in with the tune and trans app already in. Thanks!
Black WK Club #107
Unread 04-11-2014, 06:18 AM   #28
FJR06
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman09JGC View Post
FJR06,
I have been looking at the sprint booster for a long time. Superchips improved throttle response but it is still there. Would you say sprint booster or New TB improved throttle response more. As far as the sonnax line booster would you have to take the tune out first and run it for awhile or can you put it in with the tune and trans app already in. Thanks!
Kman09JCG,

Good recent discussion here about TBs:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/p...money-1528630/

I put the 85 mm ported TB on because I really wanted to replace my stock one, which was just impossible to clean. I decided to try the MM 85. It has been long enough now that I cannot remember exactly how much different it felt, but I did notice improved throttle response, idle, etc. The link above suggests that different people have different experiences. I quite possibly would have noticed the same improvement by just replacing the stock 80 mm TB with a new one.

The SprintBooster is a different beast. Check the diagram on their website:

http://www.sprintboostersales.com/whyitworks.cfm

It makes the throttle feel more responsive owing to a larger voltage output. So, at half throttle with the booster it feels like three quarters throttle without. There is no power gain, just a tighter feel. It is very noticeable and I like it. I suppose if I had to choose between the TB and SB, I would choose the booster, unless your stock TB is trashed like mine was.

The sonnax - I had an odd experience with it at first. I had my SC tune in there with all my transmission torque management numbers at 50%. I only had it in for a week or so before I put the sonnax in there. Suddenly I was getting very sharp 2-down shifts as I would come to a stop. I knew from several threads that shifting can be erratic for the first couple of weeks after installing the sonnax as the TCM gets used to the pressure change. But the neck-snapping 2-downs scared me into pulling the sonnax just a few days after I installed it. The sharp downs continued. I eventually set the tune back to stock, had the TCM reset, and drove for a few weeks. I then reinstalled the sonnax a couple of weeks ago, and just yesterday reinstalled my SC tune. Everything went smooth this time. Bottom line, I think I confused my TCM by putting stuff in and out too fast. 90grandoneer convinced me to take it slow with these things. Let the TCM get used to the booster, and then reapply the tune. Good advice. However, I suspect it is fine to put it in with your tune in place. Like I say, I think I just did too many changes in a short periods of time. If you put it in and shifting is a bit erratic, give it a couple of weeks to let the TCM relearn.

Last edited by FJR06; 04-11-2014 at 06:28 AM..
Unread 04-11-2014, 06:20 AM   #29
Billbo1970
2009 WK 

Wow, the Sprint Booster has gone from a reasonable $100 tuner part to an expensive $300 item!!
Billbo1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2014, 01:23 PM   #30
Kman09JGC

Thanks FJR06. My 09 has just 30K on it. Most of my driving is short drives to work. Sprint booster sounds just like what I need. Did you remove your tune first or install as is?
Black WK Club #107

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.