JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   Ideas for increasing performance on newly purchased 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/ideas-increasing-performance-newly-purchased-2005-jeep-grand-cherokee-2298689/)

borderpatrol420 04-05-2014 10:38 PM

Ideas for increasing performance on newly purchased 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
 
Hey guys,

I used this forum to help me make an informed decision when I decided to purchase my 2005 5.7L Hemi Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4. Now I need to ask you guys a few questions on what I should do to make sure my Jeep has the longest life possible. I'm also interested in improving performance. It currently has 99,500 miles on it and the dealer wasn't able to tell me for certain when it was last maintenance, so I figured I'd start fresh with a new maintenance regiment. Here's a list of things I'll be starting off first thing and would like everyone's input on what is best.

Spark Plugs (Maybe Spark Plug Wires)
-I'm not sure what spark plugs I should buy and I also read somewhere on this forum about upgrading the ignition system. Not sure about much more than replacing the spark plug wires, but I'm intrigued to learn more about the benefits of upgrading my ignition system and what type to install.

Replacing the fluid for the front and rear axle as well as the transfer case (not much I can think of to improve performance here)

Replacing my air filter as well as cabin air filter.
-I've read pros and cons of upgrading to a cold air intake, but I think the cons of having the filter open to large particles isn't a good choice for me.

Replacing brakes pads and rotors
-Not sure if anyone has an opinion here on what would be a very good brand to install. The tires are in great condition though.

Clean throttle body
-I've seen things like throttle body spacers are supposed to improve performance, but I'm on the fence with this

Maybe replace PCV valve
-Not sure if there's a performance part out there for this

Replace oil and filter
-Again, not sure if there's any special filter I should be aware of to help my jeep

Replace fuel filter
-Same as oil filter, not sure of a special filter any of you prefer

Fill up the gas tank with 89 octane fuel
-Does anyone prefer a different octane?

Replace Automatic Transmission fluid and filter

I may also drain the coolant and power steering fluid, but they seem ok for now.

I've heard of performance chips, but haven't researched this topic enough to say for certain whether I want something like this or not.

Again, I'm looking to increase the performance and life-expectancy of my Jeep so all information is welcome. Even if I haven't listed it here, I'd greatly appreciate any more ideas on aftermarket parts I should consider installing or other maintenance issues I should be aware of. I'm glad to finally own a decent vehicle b/c i've been driving a 1992 Grand Marquis for the past 9 years. Screw the snow I'm finally ready for it!

wagoneerXJ 04-06-2014 03:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Try an air tube from a 6.1 SRT8. I think you want Taylor shorty wires with Champion plugs. Make sure you remove the throttle body to clean it, instead of just spraying it. Use 5w-20 oil if you have not disabled MDS. There is not really a fuel filter to replace, unless you drop the tank. Take a look at the Superchips flashpaq. Install a catch can.

http://wkjeeps.com/wk_maintenance.htm

caulk04 04-06-2014 07:35 AM

All good points. Skip the throttle body spacer.

Factory fluid only for the t-case. You should have the nv245 case.

75w140 in the axles with factory lsd additive if you have Quadra Drive 2 (look at shifter bezel).

Nothing you've mentioned is going to make any performance increase. Superchips is a good tuner to get.

Also, just get factory filters for the trans.

paroxysym 04-06-2014 09:44 AM

Skip the fuel filter and yen throttle body spacer- unnecessary.

Start looking for some 6.1 hemi bolt ons- like wagoneer mentioned, throw the airtube on there. That will open things up, also look into a 6.1 manifold. Throw a tune on it and call it a day.

borderpatrol420 04-06-2014 12:09 PM

So even though I have a 5.7 Hemi, I should still add the parts mentioned above for a 6.1? Does this increase performance just because the parts are larger and can allow more airflow? I also wasn't aware some parts from a 6.1 could be added to a 5.7.

jtodaro 04-06-2014 02:52 PM

On the upper end of the $$$ for increasing performance on the 5.7 Hemi, you can swap in a 6.1 (stock or aftermarket) cam and even worked over heads.

lylepat04 04-06-2014 03:10 PM

I'm also interested in this subject. I have a 2005 4.7L limited. It's the newest vehicle and first jeep I have owned. I love this jeep! Unfortunately, I have a put a lot more miles on it then I would like too. So saving gas, better performance, and keeping it in fight shape is key for me. Any advice would be great.

borderpatrol420 04-07-2014 10:53 PM

I was talking to a guy at the dealership I bought my Jeep from today and he mentioned I should be able to add the aftermarket supercharger kit for a 2006 6.1L Hemi. Wondering if any of this might be possible. Don't really have the cash for it, but might be interested later in the future. Wondering if any of you have more information on this.

borderpatrol420 04-07-2014 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylepat04 (Post 21916465)
I'm also interested in this subject. I have a 2005 4.7L limited. It's the newest vehicle and first jeep I have owned. I love this jeep! Unfortunately, I have a put a lot more miles on it then I would like too. So saving gas, better performance, and keeping it in fight shape is key for me. Any advice would be great.

I'm right there with you man. I've been rolling around in a 92 grand marquis for the past 9 years, so this is definitely an upgrade.

fafafofi 04-08-2014 11:12 AM

Superchips programmer increased my power immensely. Next is the catch can, srt tube and a TB cleaning

modernblueWK 04-08-2014 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borderpatrol420 (Post 21957473)
I was talking to a guy at the dealership I bought my Jeep from today and he mentioned I should be able to add the aftermarket supercharger kit for a 2006 6.1L Hemi. Wondering if any of this might be possible. Don't really have the cash for it, but might be interested later in the future. Wondering if any of you have more information on this.

Putting a supercharger on an engine with 99,000+ miles on it sounds like a bad idea.

A full service, plugs, filters, throttle body cleaning. Get a programmer. Drive it.

Kman09JGC 04-08-2014 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylepat04 (Post 21916465)
I'm also interested in this subject. I have a 2005 4.7L limited. It's the newest vehicle and first jeep I have owned. I love this jeep! Unfortunately, I have a put a lot more miles on it then I would like too. So saving gas, better performance, and keeping it in fight shape is key for me. Any advice would be great.

I would say a programmer is your best bet. On my 09 4.7 I'm running the Superchips with the 91 perf tune with the optional trans app. Night and day difference. Last week I took my jeep in for my lifetime powertrain warranty check and had the tune out for about a week and wow could not believe how much better it ran with the tune in. To the OP for the Hemi diabosport is what you want. For the 4.7 Superchips, Bully Dog and I think Hypertech.

borderpatrol420 04-08-2014 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kman09JGC (Post 21971713)
I would say a programmer is your best bet. On my 09 4.7 I'm running the Superchips with the 91 perf tune with the optional trans app. Night and day difference. Last week I took my jeep in for my lifetime powertrain warranty check and had the tune out for about a week and wow could not believe how much better it ran with the tune in. To the OP for the Hemi diabosport is what you want. For the 4.7 Superchips, Bully Dog and I think Hypertech.

Did some research on a catch can and it definitely sounds like something I'm looking for. Always want to make sure I can increase the life of my Jeep and I'm sure this will help. As for chips, I'm still kinda on the edge. They're a bit expensive and I'm not entirely sure where I'd mount the controller. There are also a lot of chips out there so I'm not sure which ones are bunk and which ones will actually increase performance and/or fuel economy. If anyone has suggestions, definitely open to it. I also read up a bit on the diabosport Trinity, but I'm not sure if it works for a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Again, I'm pretty new to chips so fill me in if I sound like an idiot.

Kman09JGC 04-09-2014 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borderpatrol420 (Post 21980625)

Did some research on a catch can and it definitely sounds like something I'm looking for. Always want to make sure I can increase the life of my Jeep and I'm sure this will help. As for chips, I'm still kinda on the edge. They're a bit expensive and I'm not entirely sure where I'd mount the controller. There are also a lot of chips out there so I'm not sure which ones are bunk and which ones will actually increase performance and/or fuel economy. If anyone has suggestions, definitely open to it. I also read up a bit on the diabosport Trinity, but I'm not sure if it works for a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Again, I'm pretty new to chips so fill me in if I sound like an idiot.

With a hemi a catch can is a must. Diabosport in tune or Superchip flashpaq #3872 and vivid will work with 05 hemi. You don't need to mount it just plug it in follow instructions and unplug it. It is really simple to use. Yes they are pricey but are worth every penny.

brianj08 04-09-2014 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kman09JGC (Post 21971713)
I would say a programmer is your best bet. On my 09 4.7 I'm running the Superchips with the 91 perf tune with the optional trans app. Night and day difference. Last week I took my jeep in for my lifetime powertrain warranty check and had the tune out for about a week and wow could not believe how much better it ran with the tune in. To the OP for the Hemi diabosport is what you want. For the 4.7 Superchips, Bully Dog and I think Hypertech.

When you use a "91 perf tune" or "93 perf tune" does this require the use of 91 or 93 octane fuel as well? I do not have a Superchips for the 4.7 V8 but I am curious about them. I know the Jeep manual says to use only 87 octane.

Are there good MPG gains with these tuners? I have never used a programmer on a vehicle I have owned and do not know the process one would go through when using one. Is it worth it to use on a daily driver if one doesnt drive their Jeep hard?


The time now is 01:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.