Iced up wheel? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Iced up wheel?

FLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-03-2015, 07:44 AM   #1
Test
2007 WK 

Iced up wheel?

So a few weeks ago I got stuck in my work parking lot in some real dense snow. I worked at it and got out after a couple minutes. I then drove home and parked on the street as I always do. Later that night I was going to go to the store, but the Jeep would barely move from the parking spot. I was able to drive less than 5mph. The traction control was kicking in and reducing engine power, so I turned it off. It was still sluggish and felt like it couldn't pull its own weight, though the engine was running fine. I could hear the rear differential clutches engaging. So I just kept giving it more gas and all of a sudden I hear a loud clunk and it drove normal again. I just figured something iced up and froze the wheel in place. Has this happened to anybody else?

Test is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2015, 08:18 AM   #2
Nejeep

Not to me personally but in freezing weather it can happen if accumulated snow/ice melts after you park due to the warmth of the engine or brakes then it refreezes in the brake pads or elsewhere thus locking up the wheel.
Parking in a garage that is above freezing for a couple of hours is the easiest fix.

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
Nejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2015, 09:30 AM   #3
Carlson05
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test
So a few weeks ago I got stuck in my work parking lot in some real dense snow. I worked at it and got out after a couple minutes. I then drove home and parked on the street as I always do. Later that night I was going to go to the store, but the Jeep would barely move from the parking spot. I was able to drive less than 5mph. The traction control was kicking in and reducing engine power, so I turned it off. It was still sluggish and felt like it couldn't pull its own weight, though the engine was running fine. I could hear the rear differential clutches engaging. So I just kept giving it more gas and all of a sudden I hear a loud clunk and it drove normal again. I just figured something iced up and froze the wheel in place. Has this happened to anybody else?
happens to me all the time except the clunk happens the second I start moving. Just your brakes freezing up and then breaking free. Nothing to worry about.
245:65:17 Cooper AT3's
OME 2.5'' lift w/bilstein 4600 struts.
Carlson05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2015, 11:23 PM   #4
Jchulski19
2007 WK 

Happened to me this winter as well I was like what the heck i had to drive around the apartment complex a couple times before the wheel finally released
Jchulski19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2015, 12:12 AM   #5
Red_liner740

Shouldnt happen all the time. I thought so too until this weekend when driving home i felt extra drag and discovered cooked brakes on front driver side.

Disassembled to find a stuck caliper. It was doing the same "clunk" noise anytime i started to move after sitting a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlson05 View Post
happens to me all the time except the clunk happens the second I start moving. Just your brakes freezing up and then breaking free. Nothing to worry about.
Red_liner740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2015, 06:45 AM   #6
madmedic2010

Same thing happened to my 2005 Grand Cherokee, but now the air sensor light for my tires is lit on my dash. Wondering did I break something when the brake broke free? Any help would be great.
madmedic2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2015, 08:34 AM   #7
tom19511
2006 WK 

Battery probably died in the sensor. They only last about 5-10 years.
2007 Liberty Sport 3.7
tom19511 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2015, 07:17 AM   #8
Carlson05
2005 WK 

Well i mean it doesn't happen all the time just after driving around in snow storms. Ice gets everywhere
245:65:17 Cooper AT3's
OME 2.5'' lift w/bilstein 4600 struts.
Carlson05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.