Ice in Transfer Case- Clicking/clunking under acceleration - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Ice in Transfer Case- Clicking/clunking under acceleration

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 01-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
R32R1
2006 WK 

Ice in Transfer Case- Clicking/clunking under acceleration

Hey guys,

Alright so before we jump to CV, I have come up with a theory to why only on cold days and only when the vehicle is cold, I get a clicking/ clunking sound under 50% throttle and above directly under my feet. This leads me to believe its transfer case related. Now my case is wet, which is a good indicator that I need fluid, but is it possible moisture has built up enough to form ice?

This only happens when cold. I took it to the transmission shop and we couldn't repeat the noise. My second guess was transfer case chains, but if that theory were correct, it would be WORSE under warmer vehicle temps from the chains expanding.

The best analogy I can provide is pretend you're riding a 21 speed and are frantically pedaling. You change gears and that louder 'jump' of teeth sound happens because you're still hammering down on the pedals while changing gears. That's what the sound is under my feet.

Any input is appreciated.

Pic for reference. 2" RC w/ 265/70-17 Duratracs

img_20130107_172415.jpg  
R32R1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32R1 View Post
Hey guys,

Alright so before we jump to CV, I have come up with a theory to why only on cold days and only when the vehicle is cold, I get a clicking/ clunking sound under 50% throttle and above directly under my feet. This leads me to believe its transfer case related. Now my case is wet, which is a good indicator that I need fluid, but is it possible moisture has built up enough to form ice?

This only happens when cold. I took it to the transmission shop and we couldn't repeat the noise. My second guess was transfer case chains, but if that theory were correct, it would be WORSE under warmer vehicle temps from the chains expanding.

The best analogy I can provide is pretend you're riding a 21 speed and are frantically pedaling. You change gears and that louder 'jump' of teeth sound happens because you're still hammering down on the pedals while changing gears. That's what the sound is under my feet.

Any input is appreciated.

Pic for reference. 2" RC w/ 265/70-17 Duratracs
What are you talking about?

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
R32R1
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
What are you talking about?
1. The sound occurs when pressing the gas pedal over half way (50% throttle)

2. When looking under the truck, I notice the transfer case is wet (fluid leaking, but no puddles anywhere. My WJ had that problem too, but it is an indicator there is a possibility the level is low)

3. Today it's 47 degrees out and no noise at all. This is making me fall back to my theory that there's ice in my transfer case since the outside temp is above freezing.

To make myself sound less crazy, my theory is backed by the fact there's 140k miles and a potential low fluid level in the transfer case. Is there a possibility that over the years, some sort of condensation has built up enough to form ice inside of the transfer case where it's at a noticeable point? I'm going to change the TC fluid and ATF this week to see if it does anything. Although at this point, I'm a little hesitant in changing the ATF due to the mileage on the truck and the hype that older trannys like dirtier fluid.
Unread 01-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Your theory isn't backed by anything that you've presented so far.
Condensation or ice inside the t-case?
Transfer cases and transmissions like dirty fluid?
Has your Jeep been submerged in water as deep or deeper than the t-case?
Have you ever drained and refilled your t-case oil?

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
LouC
2007 WK 

I think you better change the fluid right away and look for the leak while you are at it.
Unread 01-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
R32R1
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Your theory isn't backed by anything that you've presented so far.
Condensation or ice inside the t-case?
Transfer cases and transmissions like dirty fluid?
Has your Jeep been submerged in water as deep or deeper than the t-case?
Have you ever drained and refilled your t-case oil?
No, it hasn't been submerged in water that deep. It was a shot in the dark, but I'm getting the fluids changed this week. Hopefully that fixes it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.