I need some help with my LED signals - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > I need some help with my LED signals

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 08-04-2011, 11:11 PM   #1
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

I need some help with my LED signals

Ok so I posted yesterday that I got new LED flashbacks for my forward turn signals.

I installed them easily enough, but ran into a problem. They light up just fine. The problem comes when I turn the blinkers on. The passenger side flashes between white and amber like it should. The drive side does not. At first I thought I had a defective bulb so I swapped the two sides and still had the same problem. So then I thought maybe the drive side wasn't blinking before I installed these and through the stock bulbs back in and they both worked fine. So why does one side work and the other does not? I know in order for them to blink properly (not fast) I have to instal a resistor which I have. But would this be the problem here? I didn't want to go through the trouble of putting the resistors in until I knew the bulbs would work. Ok, enough of me. What do you guys think?

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 01:05 AM   #2
bull_blaster
2005 WK 

Unlike regular bulbs, LED's are more sensitive both voltage and current. Check and compare the Output Voltage of both left and right terminals..... LED's and voltage fluctuations dont get along pretty well, So I'm pretty sure you need to install that resistor to stabilize the current. It could be that the other side is more stable than the other side.
bull_blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 06:20 AM   #3
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

yea i would install the resistors it only takes a couple seconds to do anyways

when i put LED bulbs in for my brake lights [also my rear turn signals] i needed the resistors to stop the hyper flash.
also the driver side worked great from the beginning but the passenger side i was having problems on, turns out the resistor didnt have a good enuf connection so i just kinda hard wired it in, instead of using thoce T-connector things
TurboDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 07:16 AM   #4
BlackedOutWK
2007 WK 

a lot of guys on jeep garage have these and i believe that is a common problem. as stated above, you just need to add a resistor. maybe robpp will chime in, he would be able to tell you exactly what you need.
Unread 08-05-2011, 08:32 AM   #5
robpp

for the front 3 ohm resistors. goes across the ground and the blink wire.
they get REAL hot so be careful where you mount it.

and then like someone above said they may be polarity specific. so you may have to try them BOTH ways to find which position has ALL functions working.
Rob 007 Laredo 4.7 FFV 27X; DeBadg'd; Zaino'd; SRT8 Grill, Pedals, Strut; ClearBra; WeatherTech; LED Reverse; HIR Hi/Lo; SS Fog; Stealth Turns; 15% Tint; Stubbie; Rear Spoiler; Magnaflow; V1; 22Elite Console/Visors; Body Kit; Color Match Everything; TintedTails; K&N 63; Front Skid; QuickOilDrainValve; BatteryTender; SuperChips 91; Bilstein; Billet Window Switches; Greasable Addco Sways; RamMedic Hood; Fastman TB; BWoody Links; Kicker Upgrade w/Single Sub; AVIC F90BT Hacked; NeffyWrap ABCD; Putco LEDs; Viper 20s w/255/50; R1 Slot/Dimple w/Hawk Pro Ceramic; Whistler Mod w/FlashTech Halos
robpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 10:17 AM   #6
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Ok thanks a lot guys. I know the bulbs are polarity sensitive because if I put them in wrong they won't work at all. It the a good write up somewhere for the resistors? I couldn't find one.

Unread 08-05-2011, 10:23 AM   #7
robpp

on other sites......

but really its a simple splice into the blink wire and then either splice or run a wire to ground. i mounted minetothe inside of the fender but have seen all sorts of mounts used. like i said, they get super hot so put them where you wont be touching them.

oh yeah, the polarity thing. when you have the resistor attached the backwards bulb acts diff tham when no resistor present. acts like one circuit out. thats why after the resistor I mentioned the polarity.
Rob 007 Laredo 4.7 FFV 27X; DeBadg'd; Zaino'd; SRT8 Grill, Pedals, Strut; ClearBra; WeatherTech; LED Reverse; HIR Hi/Lo; SS Fog; Stealth Turns; 15% Tint; Stubbie; Rear Spoiler; Magnaflow; V1; 22Elite Console/Visors; Body Kit; Color Match Everything; TintedTails; K&N 63; Front Skid; QuickOilDrainValve; BatteryTender; SuperChips 91; Bilstein; Billet Window Switches; Greasable Addco Sways; RamMedic Hood; Fastman TB; BWoody Links; Kicker Upgrade w/Single Sub; AVIC F90BT Hacked; NeffyWrap ABCD; Putco LEDs; Viper 20s w/255/50; R1 Slot/Dimple w/Hawk Pro Ceramic; Whistler Mod w/FlashTech Halos
Unread 08-05-2011, 10:36 AM   #8
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Ok thanks! Do you happen to know which color wire is the blink wire? I know it won't be hard to figure out, but if you already know then that helps!

Unread 08-05-2011, 06:04 PM   #9
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

u get them working??
Unread 08-05-2011, 07:00 PM   #10
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Yep! Just came back inside from doing it! Unfortunately the resistors I had on hand were 6ohm instead of 3ohm, but it doesn't seem to matter. They are both working just fine The flash wire is the green one incase anyone else cares to know. I am planning on snapping a few pix and posting them up here in a bit.

Unread 08-05-2011, 07:02 PM   #11
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

awesome, congrats!
Unread 08-05-2011, 07:03 PM   #12
robpp

good job; the higher the number is actually less heat and better in general.

i didnt see where the bulbs came from but they look good and bright.
Unread 08-05-2011, 07:05 PM   #13
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Cool! Thanks for the help guys!

Unread 08-05-2011, 07:17 PM   #14
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpp
i didnt see where the bulbs came from but they look good and bright.
I got them off eBay from a local company. I picked them up for $50. They are a 57 Dual Color Chip SMD LED bulb. They are supposed to be brighter than the traditional 60 SMD LED bulb (30 white and 30 amber). Not sure how bright the others would be, but these look pretty bright!

Unread 08-05-2011, 10:20 PM   #15
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Ok pix as promised!

Off:

On:

Flash amber (turn signal):

A little more defined:

A comparison of the new LED bulb (Passenger) and stock (Driver):

And a quick vid:

Summery, I could not be happier with how these turned out! I am so happy to finally have round Jeep headlight! I never did like the look of the half white half amber headlight. It wasn't very Jeep like. Which is also why I want to color match my headlights so I can accentuate the fact that there are round headlight in there somewhere. Thanks again for the help with my little hiccup!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.