I may have found a CRD...!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > I may have found a CRD...!!

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidMore Rugged Ridge Deals !FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #1
fordt
2008 WK 

I may have found a CRD...!!

Hey folks, newbie to Jeep, not to diesels! Anyway, looking to buy a used CRD JGC (after giving up on the new CRD to EVER get released) and have found a few that are still under 70K or so (not that this engine is even broken in good at that point!). Been reading everything on this forum I can and know the pitfalls of swirl motors, orange pipes, elephant hose mods, battery acids on PCM's and the few other well known idiosyncracies that are out there. Just a couple of questions for Overland owners, I THINK the diesel Overlands all come with tow package standard-right? Does that also include beefed up alternators and cooling goodies like most tow packages? Is it fairly simple to hook up a brake controller-OK, not simple but at least available with other than a multi dollar MB wire harness part?! Also, does the MYGIG/Uconnect system link to cell phones (wife question) like Iphones and the like, can you still update the system with new op software thru Jeep or aftermarket-i.e. is it still supported as far as phones and navigation?

Thanks for all the great info here, now to pull the trigger on the vehicle, if I can find one closer than 2 states away!

fordt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
suzieque
2008 WK 

The overland should come with the RER version of the mygig. Current firmware is 2.404 i believe. The newest maps are available from navteq website, i bought the update a couple months ago and the dvd map update came with the firmware dvd as well.

I have seen crd wk without trailer hitches, i cannot say if every overland automatically came with a hitch. A factory trailer hitch option would come with the 7 pin plug for trailer lights, but the brake controller wire is not tapped to the brake sense wire, so you have to tap that wire when you install the brake controller. The factory hitch setup also includes jeeps version of sway control - a feature i am skeptical as to its effectiveness. All crd wk ship with a 800 cca battery. No oher features ship with the factory hitch option.

Great job joining this site and reading about all the crd quirks before you buy, lots of good knowledge on this site.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
Drewd

If you need a trailer hitch, hit me up. I'll sell you a lightly used OEM hitch at 1/2 price of dealer price.
Drewd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 06:51 AM   #4
LJS8510
Web Wheeler

2015 WK 

If its a 2008 you will have the My Gig and bluetooth connection.
The 2007 not sure, My Gig was one of many upgrades for 2008 models.

2015 WK Overland, V8, Offroad Group II
LJS8510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 07:07 AM   #5
jaje
2007 WK 

IIRC - all CRDs came with a bigger battery, higher amp alternator, and an engine block heater as standard equipment. If you can get a 2wd you'll get even better mpg (but not sure how rare 2wd is on an overland model - pretty common on the Limited down in TX).
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
kens97sto171

I saw a car review of the 2014 summit edition JGC I think it was CNET tech review.. in that review they said a diesel was going to be available soon. But I think it was a $5k option. omg. The review even commented that the 30mpg gain over the 24mpg of the Pentastar v6 was not a good trade.. u would never make your money back in fuel savings. And the PStar engine is pretty good. 0-60 was 7.5 sec I think.
Now if your gonna tow.... then maybe a different story altogether. The diesel is making way more torque. The diesel is sourced from Fiat.
kens97sto171 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #7
jaje
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kens97sto171 View Post
I saw a car review of the 2014 summit edition JGC I think it was CNET tech review.. in that review they said a diesel was going to be available soon. But I think it was a $5k option. omg. The review even commented that the 30mpg gain over the 24mpg of the Pentastar v6 was not a good trade.. u would never make your money back in fuel savings. And the PStar engine is pretty good. 0-60 was 7.5 sec I think.
Now if your gonna tow.... then maybe a different story altogether. The diesel is making way more torque. The diesel is sourced from Fiat.
In real world driving EPA estimates for gas cars is higher than you'll get unless you hypermile. OTOH diesels get higher real world MPG than EPA.

The $5k premium they are charging is mostly profit for a "premium" engine. For instance, VW charges $2k more for TDI over the 2.0 Turbo but it only costs VW them $800 more for the TDI. OTOH the Jetta Hybrid drivetrain costs $4,500 more than the 2.0 turbo VW takes a loss on it to keep the price low. In fact they are not alone as Toyota still doesn't make a profit on its Prius lineup even though it's the most successful hybrid sold today.
Unread 05-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #8
jjt250
2007 WK 

Not to take away from the subject of this post, but doesn't the 2014 diesel come with a lot of other non-diesel related upgrades (like interior-wise and such)? Also, the diesel is more comparable to the Hemi in terms of power. Other things to consider are the facts that the diesel will last longer and hold far better resale value.

OP, are you talking about an 2007 or 2008? The towing package does offer more cooling and MyGig should work fine with your smartphone.
Unread 05-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #9
Zlartibartfast
2007 WK 

Georgia - 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4D Sport Utility

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/...9-c21c55f9ec60

it's only about one long day's drive away......but Carmax can ship it to a location closer to you

I got my CRD through Carmax - I recommend them based on my very positive experience. It cost me $300 to have mine shipped from Tulsa OK to Austin TX.
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #10
fordt
2008 WK 

Hah! I feel right at home here with talk of better diesel MPG's than EPA guesstimates, the new 2014 and it's pricey upgrade to the VM Motori engine. I have been looking at getting a new one (the new interiors ARE amazing, and I like the body style), but Jeep continues to push back the availability, now probably looking at a September arrival (while still advertising 30 mpg on its commercials for a car not yet available here!) So I figured I'd find a good low mile 07-08 for half what a new one will cost (2WD), and let the new cars folks "test" the new engine and drivetrain. Maybe after a couple years if the new CRD still sells, I'll pick up one then. Until then, the Merc engine is fine with me. Zlarti-funny you should mention the Carmax car, I looked at that one-like the color, but alas, Carmax NEVER negotiates and I felt it was probably $2-3K too high and cost to ship was about $500. And I love to haggle...go figure. Thanks for all the responses and the answers! The search continues...
fordt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #11
NDSU_Bison
2014 WK 

A diesel engine typically has lower horsepower than a gasser. Unless you drive 100 MPH, you don't really need much horsepower. What most people want is torque so they can get up to freeway speed on an no-ramp. I test drove a hemi and a CRD on the same visit to the dealer and the CRD is much more fun to drive at legal speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjt250 View Post
Not to take away from the subject of this post, but doesn't the 2014 diesel come with a lot of other non-diesel related upgrades (like interior-wise and such)? Also, the diesel is more comparable to the Hemi in terms of power. Other things to consider are the facts that the diesel will last longer and hold far better resale value.

OP, are you talking about an 2007 or 2008? The towing package does offer more cooling and MyGig should work fine with your smartphone.
NDSU_Bison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #12
jaje
2007 WK 

EPA estimates on diesel engines are often on the very low end and diesel owners often see much higher mpg than EPA. OTOH gas engines EPA you'll more often see lower estimates than EPA. EPA tests are done on a dyno in a laboratory with the engine lugging along at low rpm and mildly accelerating to speed and some short stops. To factor in drag coefficient they add resistance to the dyno to lower highway mpg on big vehicles - but does not take into account cross winds, head winds or turbulence from other vehicles ahead or around you. At idle diesels use much less fuel than gas engines and is the reason why you see city EPA estimates on diesels often meeting or exceeding their gas counterparts (and in real life as well). EPA does not test a car at load doing realistic driving such as 80 mph going up hill with the A/C on and fighting a headwind where the gas engine would get often 50% less mpg than the diesel.

Diesel powered cars tend to come with bigger batteries, larger alternator, engine block heaters as standard equipment. Then they are often considered premium upgrade over any gas engine outside of a sport tuned (in this case SRT8). This means that there is much higher profit margins they will charge in addition to often being forced to choose a higher content luxury or equipment package. OEMs admit they charge much higher profits on diesels as diesel buyers will pay it. For instance the venerable VW TDI which has a 50% take rate for Golf and Jetta sales only costs VW $800 more for the diesel over the 2.0T but they charge $2k more b/c people will pay that much more. In the end though you come out ahead as the resale value is much higher on the diesel engine optioned vehicle over the cheaper gas version. OTOH true hybrid drivetrains (such as in the Prius or VW Hybrid) costs $4k more than in this case the 2.0T Jetta but OEMs for some reason will take a loss on each hybrid they sell. Toyota still has not made a profit on its Prius lineup or any hybrid they've sold - it is a loss leader and sold as "green credibility" often to smug people who like to block the left lane b/c they are saving the environment (that's how much I think of hybrids sold to people who do not live in heavily congested cities where hybrids would only make sense).

In the end - hybrids work well in the city with massive congestion and frequent and long stops and frequent acceleration back to a stop. Diesels make sense in cars that are driven normally and not for performance purposes. I doubt I'd own and drive a diesel sportscar (until diesel technology in light passenger cars comes a long way - though Mazda's Skyactiv-D that will be in the Mazda6 and soon after the CX-5 looks very promising - low compression ratio, all aluminum engine and no need for nox emissions equipment b/c of such).
Unread 05-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #13
jjt250
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDSU_Bison View Post
A diesel engine typically has lower horsepower than a gasser. Unless you drive 100 MPH, you don't really need much horsepower. What most people want is torque so they can get up to freeway speed on an no-ramp. I test drove a hemi and a CRD on the same visit to the dealer and the CRD is much more fun to drive at legal speeds.
Yep you're right- I meant torque.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.