I HAVE to come to a decision... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > I HAVE to come to a decision...

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 04-16-2014, 02:03 PM   #1
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

I HAVE to come to a decision...

Im faced with a Really Difficult decision right now Guys.....

I may have got a new job offer, which would give me some work experience in the field that is in my Career path. I need the experience to put on my resume to be able to excel in this Career (IT Networking)

However, the Job only pays about $2,000 more a year than my current job, and its about 45 minutes away. My current job is only 20 minutes away, and I car pool every-other-day with my brother. So I drive 2 days one week, then 3 the next. This new job would require me driving 45 minutes both ways. 5 days a week. So even with the $2,000 year pay increase, it would likely be lower with the cost I would spend in gas on my jeep. Not to mention that im nearing 100,000 miles and I still have almost 5 years left to pay on it.

So im faced with the decisions........

Do I take the offer, gain the experience and keep my jeep. (Hard because im a new homeowner, and pretty much already live pay-check-to-paycheck)

Do I kindly regret the offer, keep my current job, and keep searching. (i've been looking for quite a while and im not sure if ill find anything else soon)

Or Do I take the job and sell my Jeep and get something good on gas? I really hate to do this, I absolutely love my car. I had full intentions of lifting it and all sorts of stuff. I had planned on keeping it forever. Buying it off in 4 years and getting a new car and keeping this as a toy down the road. I mean I love this thing. It would be very hard for me to part ways with it.

Im really torn right now, I don't know what to do. Im gonna have to try and do all the figuring for weekly gas at those miles and see how much is going to come out. But other than that, my other worry is my high miles, will the car last me another 5 years until its payed off?

08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | Saguaro Front Shackles | Blacked out front grille, Blacked out stock chrome wheels | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2014, 03:01 PM   #2
BoraBora
2006 WK 

Well, I don't know if you want to take my advice since I'm 17...but personally I see career>car. I'd sell the Jeep, buy something much better on gas, expand my work experience, and once I had enough money again I would buy another Jeep on the side of my daily driver and build it up. To each their own, but that's a lot of miles for a daily drive in a gas guzzler.
2006 Black WK, Modified OME HD ~3.5'', Bilstein 5100's, 1.5" Wheel Spacers, Black JK Moabs, 285/70/R17 Duratracs, 7W Reverse LED's, tow hooks, 2 Hella 500ff's behind grill, Expanded sheet metal grill, ORT badge, Tail light guards, Firestik 3', Aux. input, Black housing headlights, Stingray roof basket, 2 Hella 500ffs on roof rack, 18% tint.
BoraBora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxdrummerxc View Post
Im faced with a Really Difficult decision right now Guys.....

I may have got a new job offer, which would give me some work experience in the field that is in my Career path. I need the experience to put on my resume to be able to excel in this Career (IT Networking)

However, the Job only pays about $2,000 more a year than my current job, and its about 45 minutes away. My current job is only 20 minutes away, and I car pool every-other-day with my brother. So I drive 2 days one week, then 3 the next. This new job would require me driving 45 minutes both ways. 5 days a week. So even with the $2,000 year pay increase, it would likely be lower with the cost I would spend in gas on my jeep. Not to mention that im nearing 100,000 miles and I still have almost 5 years left to pay on it.

So im faced with the decisions........

Do I take the offer, gain the experience and keep my jeep. (Hard because im a new homeowner, and pretty much already live pay-check-to-paycheck)

Do I kindly regret the offer, keep my current job, and keep searching. (i've been looking for quite a while and im not sure if ill find anything else soon)

Or Do I take the job and sell my Jeep and get something good on gas? I really hate to do this, I absolutely love my car. I had full intentions of lifting it and all sorts of stuff. I had planned on keeping it forever. Buying it off in 4 years and getting a new car and keeping this as a toy down the road. I mean I love this thing. It would be very hard for me to part ways with it.

Im really torn right now, I don't know what to do. Im gonna have to try and do all the figuring for weekly gas at those miles and see how much is going to come out. But other than that, my other worry is my high miles, will the car last me another 5 years until its payed off?

I think you already know what to do - you just want some nudging.........

You need the work experience - there will always be WKs to be had.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2014, 03:15 PM   #4
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Get a motorcycle. Drive the Jeep when the weather sucks!
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2014, 03:55 PM   #5
jeepsrgood4u
2009 WK 

Take the job, run the Jeep and keep the economy going by buying gas and parts for it....
09 0verland BBCPC 5.7 QD11 | Arb deluxe front bumber | Bilstein 5100 each corner | Superchips 3870 | 3" Stainless Gibson catback | K&N CAI | 1.5 Spdertrax | pinch weld mod | 255/70/18 Silent armors | 3" stainless tube steps | Weathertec digital complete set | Taillight guards |
jeepsrgood4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2014, 04:18 PM   #6
Tcolin2351
2006 WK 

You know you need to sell the Jeep and get something more economical.

My plan is to keep the WK as a toy and continue to build it once I have a cheaper DD, but I drive 3 miles round-trip and take a train to work everyday. If I had to drive into the city everyday, I couldn't afford it either.

As others have said, WK's will always be out there. Also, if you haven't lifted it or done any mods, its not like you have a ton invested in it already. My answer may be different if you had some blood, sweat and beers into it.

It will suck, really, really suck, but well worth it in the end.
Unread 04-16-2014, 04:32 PM   #7
tom19511
2006 WK 

Get a cheap econocar for work. Drive the Jeep when the weather sucks and for fun!
2007 Liberty Sport 3.7
tom19511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2014, 04:35 PM   #8
Red_liner740

Buying another vehicle may not be the best option.

How upside down are you on the payments? As in, how much could you sell it for vs how much you owe.

Second, after selling it, paying off the difference, you STILL have to buy another vehicle.

A lot of people fall in the trap of "better vehicle on gas" meanwhile they went and had to pay extra 5K to put themselves in that car totally negating any fuel savings for the next several years.

Do the math on current mpg estimation for that round trip, what the other vehicle would cost extra, any extra costs in purchasing said vehicle, what that vehicles MPG is and what your break even point is. You'd be surprised.

Learn to hypermille. There are tips and tricks that can definitively help immensely with highway MPGs
Red_liner740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2014, 06:39 PM   #9
Tcolin2351
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_liner740
Buying another vehicle may not be the best option. How upside down are you on the payments? As in, how much could you sell it for vs how much you owe. Second, after selling it, paying off the difference, you STILL have to buy another vehicle. A lot of people fall in the trap of "better vehicle on gas" meanwhile they went and had to pay extra 5K to put themselves in that car totally negating any fuel savings for the next several years. Do the math on current mpg estimation for that round trip, what the other vehicle would cost extra, any extra costs in purchasing said vehicle, what that vehicles MPG is and what your break even point is. You'd be surprised. Learn to hypermille. There are tips and tricks that can definitively help immensely with highway MPGs
That's actually a really good point. If there's still 4 yrs to pay it off, chances are there's a lot of negative equity in it.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 04-16-2014, 06:49 PM   #10
Mitkch
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddydaddy View Post
This actually seems like a VERY viable option, IMHO. Try and find a used motorcycle and use it on good weather days. Sips on gas, cheap to insure. It will pay for itself in the long run.

Move on and further your career!!! If it's what you really want, the motorcycle option isn't for you, and you're not upside down in your Jeep, go trade for something more economical. Don't put your career and essentially your life on hold for a vehicle. There are so many WK's around and there will still be plenty more when you can afford to have one again.

Just my $0.02
Black WK Club #138
Mitkch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2014, 06:54 PM   #11
Andy401
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddydaddy
That's exactly what I do and I have a 90 mile round trip commute
Silver WK Club Member #106 - 2010 Silver WK
2" Rough Country BB Lift - Kumho 265/70/R17 - Hunter Brush Guard - Homemade Stubby Antenna
-KCCO
Andy401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2014, 07:18 PM   #12
ryann04
2008 WK 

if it's all highway to and from work, as long as your easy on the skinny pedal, you'll be fine.
selling your vehicle you will almost always take a loss... purchasing another *economical vehicle* still costs money, gas, insurance, etc...
I say keep the jeep and drive conservative and make budget cuts elsewhere in your entertainment section of life.

and yes, take the job!
Blue WK Club Member #42 // DIESEL FTW !!!! -Ryan
ryann04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2014, 07:32 PM   #13
gornoman
2006 WK 

Take the job, keep the Jeep, sell the house, move closer to work.

You're welcome.
Blue WK Club Member #15
My other passion - WWW.buggiesgonewild.com
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2014, 07:48 PM   #14
modernblueWK

I will offer the opposite opinion. Your time at home is valuable. Living 45 minutes from work adds a lot of stress to your life. That's 1.5 less hours per day you will spend at home with friends family and for yourself. You will spend 16.25 whole days per year in your car driving. I used to commute 25 miles each way in Denver. 30 minutes to work in the morning, 60 minutes home through downtown and north metro. That time in the car can affect your health, your sanity and your credit card balance. If you are already check to check the increased gas bills and payments on a fuel sipper might stretch you thinner than you would like.

But.......... If the job experience is worth it then do what you gotta do. Have you thought about speaking with your current boss about this? Seems weird but they may consider making your current job more worthwhile to you. Microsoft certs, more pay, more trainings and opportunities.

That commute may eventually define you and define your quality of life. Just my 2cents.
Blue WK club #4
2013 HEMI Durango Awd Crew. All stock
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2014, 07:50 PM   #15
modernblueWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
Take the job, keep the Jeep, sell the house, move closer to work.

You're welcome.
This too. If it's an option.
Blue WK club #4
2013 HEMI Durango Awd Crew. All stock
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.