Hydrolock prevention..... with after market intake.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Hydrolock prevention..... with after market intake..

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 05-09-2014, 03:51 AM   #1
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Hydrolock prevention..... with after market intake..

Well I'm in the process of installing my small RC budget boost and I have the JK Rubicon wheels / tires sitting here waiting.

The trip we are going on is only two weeks away and I'm mostly worried about my intake. I don't plan on doing no crazy mud/ water stuff. But it is spring time and I know the place will be a little wet in places and mud / water will be flung. Also I'm sure I will go through smaller puddles. I'll be following a couple wranglers. If it looks to high, I'm not going through anything.

But regardless I'm worried about my ok intake. I bought the BWoody short ram intake. It sits right about where the stock box was. But it's not enclosed at all and water shoots right up from the wheel well. I had to buy a dry flow cover for the filter because just driving in the snow / rain, my filter had gotten pretty darn wet from water slinging right up by the wheel well. It's almost a straight shot up.

So this is my concern. I do have the dry flow cover that reflects water now. But it doesn't stop a saturation, or large splash. I'm not doing anything crazy I don't need a snorkel or nothing. But I need to find some piece of mind here. I thought about somehow securing some sheet metal or even a tarp under the intake as to block the majority water splashing from coming straight up by the wheel well. But I'm not sure how effective that would be.

Looking back I guess I should have bought an enclosed intake like the volant. But I just thought the bwoody looked nice custom painted etc.

What do you all think? What do you do to stay say from hydrolocking?

I might even put my old stock intake on for the trip since its at least enclosed in a box and not exposed.

08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | Saguaro Front Shackles | Blacked out front grille, Blacked out stock chrome wheels | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2014, 05:12 AM   #2
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Do you not have wheel liners in? That should block the water from shooting up and hitting the filter.
Unread 05-09-2014, 05:19 AM   #3
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Yea. I mean I guess I'm exaggerating a little. The wheel liners do seem like they will stop a lot. But there is still like almost a ft square section between the front of the wheel liner and the grill area that's straight down to the ground. Worries me, maybe I'm just over thinking? I'll take a picture since not too many people on here have my intake.
08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | Saguaro Front Shackles | Blacked out front grille, Blacked out stock chrome wheels | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
Unread 05-09-2014, 07:51 AM   #4
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Pics would be helpful because I can't visualize how there is a square foot of open space under your intake.

As far as water crossings take them nice and slow. Push your wake with the bumper, don't break through it. Stock WK can do 14" water fording IIRC - lifted obviously a touch more but I wouldn't go any deeper.
Other than that you shouldn't likely hydrolock from some occasional spatter.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2014, 08:43 AM   #5
BAH101
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC
Pics would be helpful because I can't visualize how there is a square foot of open space under your intake. As far as water crossings take them nice and slow. Push your wake with the bumper, don't break through it. Stock WK can do 14" water fording IIRC - lifted obviously a touch more but I wouldn't go any deeper. Other than that you shouldn't likely hydrolock from some occasional spatter.
Operating manual says 20" for standing water.
Less for moving, but they mention more about loosing traction in those conditions.
image-760997980.jpg

Unread 05-09-2014, 08:44 AM   #6
jjt250
2007 WK 

If you're really worried, I'd just go ahead and reinstall your stock intake for the trip. That's what I would do at least.
Unread 05-09-2014, 11:29 AM   #7
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAH101 View Post
Operating manual says 20" for standing water.
Less for moving, but they mention more about loosing traction in those conditions.
Good catch - you're right.

I may have been thinking 14" ground to plastic rockers (b post) at stock ride.

I dunno. But thanks for clarifying.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2014, 11:53 AM   #8
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Pics would be helpful because I can't visualize how there is a square foot of open space under your intake.

As far as water crossings take them nice and slow. Push your wake with the bumper, don't break through it. Stock WK can do 14" water fording IIRC - lifted obviously a touch more but I wouldn't go any deeper.
Other than that you shouldn't likely hydrolock from some occasional spatter.
I guess I might be exaggerating a bit when I say a sq ft. But its a decent amount of space and you can see right down to the pavement. Ill post some pictures in a bit, Im pretty busy right now, and I tried to upload the pics from my phone, but it exceeded the attachment size. So im gonna need time to transfer the photos to my pc.

I may just be over thinking this. But the stock intake just seemed a little more water resistant being in a box.
Unread 05-10-2014, 08:29 AM   #9
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Ok guys,

So not nearly a whole sq foot. I have a tendency to over exaggerate but here are the pictures:

And an underneath up shot:

That is where my concern is right now. The stock intake was at least in a box and would not likely take in a splash from that area. However, the stock intake also had a smaller airway BEFORE the box that went right to one of the first two slots on the front Grille. Which could be bad also I suppose.

Or im just worrying too much.
Unread 05-10-2014, 09:07 AM   #10
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Go back to stock....
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2014, 09:58 AM   #11
BlackPrintz
2005 WK 

If you travel through water, like a very, very deep puddle, just take it easy. It's like boating, avoid making a large wake and don't splash. That's where a problem will occur. I've taken mine through water that was up past my door sills without issue, except for a bit of wet carpet. Unless you're deep enough to suck water into the filter, you should have no concerns. Tread lightly.

edit: If you are going into water, I'd be more concerned with relocating the rear differential vent tube. I've extended mine to the underside of the trunk floor.
Black WK #139
05 WK, 5.7 Hemi, 2" R.C. lift, 32s, K&N, MagnaFlow, 4xGuard Skids, Custom Rock Rails
BlackPrintz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #12
BAH101
2008 WK 

You could also put a tarp across your front, it will prevent a lot of water coming into the engine compartment. As long as you keep moving though...momentum is key.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.