the (?) HVAC/switch lighting thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > the (?) HVAC/switch lighting thread

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wHalloween Savings to die for!

Unread 04-11-2012, 04:42 PM   #16
w1pf
Who, me?

2007 WK 

OK, here it is, as it stands today. It still needs a lot of work. But hopefully it is enough for some folks to take a shot at doing it, and we can improve it as people actually try to use it.

urgh, as I read it I see I wasn't very clear on the resistor values for the switch blocks (old data is in the early part of the writeup). I think 2.7K or 3.3K, 2.2K end up being too bright.

Red WK #19, Hemi #68.. I think..
Durango Owners Club DOTY 2011
-------
"Must have been that yesterday was the day that I was born"

Last edited by w1pf; 04-11-2012 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: resistor values
w1pf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #17
w1pf
Who, me?

2007 WK 

Omelet: I haven't found any blue inverted-cone LEDs yet. The inverted-cone style is only important for the HVAC, the switch panels don't really care much (you might want to scuff the LEDS up with sandpaper to diffuse the light if you use regular dome-style LEDS in the switch panels)
-------
Unread 04-11-2012, 05:10 PM   #18
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Cool thanks bud! I still want to do this, but it wont happen for a little while.

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #19
w1pf
Who, me?

2007 WK 

Let me know when you think you're warming up to do it, and I'll nose around for blue LED options.
-------
Unread 04-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #20
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Cool thanks Bud!!!

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #21
YotaCrawler
2005 WK 

Just got done doing this, with help from w1pf's writeup and pictures. Works great, too some time getting used to soldering, but this was my first time doing anything intricate. Pics below are of the HVAC control board, and the upper switch board. I also did the lower switch board, but on my laredo i only have 1 light, so it's not worth posting. The light all the way on the left of the switch board is something i rigged up, it's there to illuminate the "information center" strip. They all light up brightly using the 3mm inverted cone LED's listed, just haven't gotten to see it all put together and shining at night yet.

One question for you guys, am i the only one or does anyone else have the blue/green/red plastic behind their HVAC knobs so they are illuminated blue/red with heat/cold, and a greenosh blue for the direction and fan intensity? (picture below). Does anyone know how to remove these inserts, or at least take the color away to make it shine white like in the pictures posted above?
photo.jpg   image_1.jpg   image_2.jpg  
YotaCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #22
NinePerRev
2006 WK 

Unfortunately scraping off the colors leaves clear plastic. So you would need to replace it with something white. Or maybe since the LED is kind of a white light, it would good leaving it transparent?
NinePerRev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #23
YotaCrawler
2005 WK 

got it all fitted together, everything's been running great for two months no problems except the damn plastic chipping off the buttons don't have night pics, but they are outstanding.
YotaCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #24
w1pf
Who, me?

2007 WK 

updating, there seems to be some renewed interest in this (that is, more owners are getting annoyed that their lights are out)

pdf of my writeup is at http://kopec.us/misc/led_replacement_1a5.pdf

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/n...-knobs-665155/ is another related thread with some chatter.
-------
Unread 04-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #25
booneKJ02
2005 WK 

Great write up, I plan on using this next week. Yesterday i went and bought replacement incandescent lights from radioshack and they suck so im just going to rip everything out and put in LEDs. The only question i have though is, is there any way to get that green hue back into the buttons (info center, heated seats, pedals, ESP) or will they forever be white. I though about either blue or green leds but it will look horrible. The only other thought was using a green/blue sharpie and coloring behind the button? Any ideas?
booneKJ02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2013, 10:35 AM   #26
w1pf
Who, me?

2007 WK 

If you can find a piece of transparent plastic that gives you the color you want, maybe glue a (full-size) square in behind the front of the switch.. when you open it up you'll see that the buttons are just a square tube, so you could easily tack a square of plastic in there. If you just tack it on the edges, you could probably change it out later if you decided you don't loke the color.

...tom
-------
Unread 04-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #27
JackB1
2008 WK 

I was advised to buy the Eiko 2162 bulbs as shown on the auction site shown here bulbs Are these the same as Radio Shack ones you purchased. What year WK are they for? Mine is an 08 and I assume several years used same bulbs.
JackB1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #28
w1pf
Who, me?

2007 WK 

From reading here, I think the 08+ are different from 07- .. but I don't know, I've never torn into an 08 hvac control.
-------

Last edited by w1pf; 04-21-2013 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: typo
Unread 04-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #29
Fasito
2007 WK 

Hi there. After replacing my 07 WK CRD ATC blown bulbs for similar incandescent bulbs, all the HVAC systems delivers is very hot air thru defroster grilles ... no matter what I select for the air outlet or temperature ... ?any clues? thanks in advance.
Fasito is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #30
booneKJ02
2005 WK 

Just finished swapping all the center stack lights. Im working on some form of a light blue filter to make the radio screen somewhat bluer. If i cant, its not the end of the world. Looks really nice at night now, better than all burnt out like before.

booneKJ02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.