JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   the (?) HVAC/switch lighting thread (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/hvac-switch-lighting-thread-1334788/)

w1pf 02-26-2012 08:46 PM

the (?) HVAC/switch lighting thread

4 Attachment(s)
Summary: The bulbs that light the HVAC and switches in the center stack are surface-mount, soldered-in incandescent bulbs. The bulbs are far from a lifetime component. The official procedure for dealing with a burned out bulb is to replace the module.

There are many threads about this, trying to get the info in one place.

With some solder-fu, the bulbs can be replaced with LEDs and forgotten. The magic LEDs are 3mm "inverted cone" LEDs, and my preferred supplier is moreleds.com (just because they were awesome when I ordered my batch for this project; they called to make sure the shipping I chose was what I really wanted, and that the resistors they were including for free were the correct value for my project).

I'm going to try to get a pdf of the whole mess done, but in the short term here are some pix of this weekend's adventure.

Orb217 02-27-2012 03:22 AM

Awesome! I've been dying to try this.

zeds_dead 02-27-2012 11:40 PM

I would love more info on this!

Omelet 02-28-2012 04:33 PM

Nice! I would love to get a pdf with full directions if you do it! This is something I have been wanting to do for a while only with blue. I know a couple guys that I could pay to do it, but I am cheap and prefer to do it myself :D Great job :thumbsup:

w1pf 02-28-2012 06:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Started the doc, but client work once again gets in the way. Good thing they pay my invoices promptly :)

Some of the things that make the difference between an OK job and a nice job are getting the colors to match, and getting the intensity to match. In the HVAC control, you MUST have inverted-cone LEDs or things are gonna be blotchy and dim. Setting up the 12V supply in the bathroom and closing the door to check things out seems to be part of the game :(

Omelet 02-28-2012 09:24 PM

Sweet! Once you finnish writing it up I will add it to my list. Who knows when I will get to it :D

zeds_dead 02-28-2012 10:36 PM

Once you finish writing it im tearing into my hvac controls asap. The lights are all out. They went out slowly one by one. Actually, I think 2 are still lit. But I'd love to not have to turn on my overhead lights at night to change the temp! :thumbsup:

pavelhen 03-01-2012 10:27 AM

The color between the HVAC and the Info center seems to be a bit different in the pictures. Were they both done with the same LED's?

One other question is, does each button on the info center have its own LED?

w1pf 03-01-2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavelhen (Post 13154942)
The color between the HVAC and the Info center seems to be a bit different in the pictures. Were they both done with the same LED's?

They were. The switches are each in their own little space, and the HVAC is an open space with a light pipe. The combination of the other colors in the HVAC space and the fact that the switch LEDs are run a LOT dimmer than the HVAC LEDs leaves a color difference. I may look at the "ice cube" diffused LEDs for the switches to see if that helps. But I think the fact that the switch LEDs live in a basically black universe and the HVAC LEDs live in a kinda green universe may make this difficult to fix.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavelhen (Post 13154942)
One other question is, does each button on the info center have its own LED?

Yes.

----
Gotta drive out to a client starting at 5am tomorrow, so that will be the first pitch-dark sojurn with this set of LEDs.

pavelhen 03-02-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w1pf (Post 13157447)
They were. The switches are each in their own little space, and the HVAC is an open space with a light pipe. The combination of the other colors in the HVAC space and the fact that the switch LEDs are run a LOT dimmer than the HVAC LEDs leaves a color difference. I may look at the "ice cube" diffused LEDs for the switches to see if that helps. But I think the fact that the switch LEDs live in a basically black universe and the HVAC LEDs live in a kinda green universe may make this difficult to fix.

Yes.

----
Gotta drive out to a client starting at 5am tomorrow, so that will be the first pitch-dark sojurn with this set of LEDs.

I get exactly what you mean. Nice work.

Rob 99TJ 03-19-2012 07:21 AM

Great info. I'd love to see a write-up too! In my 07' the HVAC lights are all good, but it's the lighted bars above and below that have a couple lights out.

My concern with replacing the bulbs is getting them to match the rest of the lighting color and intensity. I'm a DIYer too so I can't wait for you to write this up. THANKS!

Orb217 04-09-2012 01:21 AM

Any progress on the write-up? I'm thinking of attempting this project next weekend.

w1pf 04-10-2012 05:00 PM

I will try to get the writeup done for the weekend, or at least post it in whatever state it is in.

The only parts you'll need to order are the LEDs themsleves: these are 3mm "inverted cone" white LEDs from www.quickar.com. Ask for "560-ohm resistors" in the comment field of the order. Get more LEDs than you need.

Everything else can be obtained from the kid who wants to cell you a new smartphone at Radio Shack.

Orb217 04-10-2012 09:41 PM

Are those 560 ohm or 5.6k resistors in the pictures?

w1pf 04-11-2012 06:53 AM

The time now is 02:06 AM.