HVAC HEAD LIGHTING out - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > HVAC HEAD LIGHTING out

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-28-2009, 10:12 AM   #1
Merlin810
2005 XJ Cherokee 

HVAC HEAD LIGHTING out

Hi Everyone!
I am new to this forum and have a question/problem I hope you can help me with. I have a 2005 Grand Chreokee Larado and the lighting behing the HVAC Head is out on the left side of the panel. The right side will come on dim if you tap on the panel. Any ideas on what is causing this and is it an easy fix?
Any help would be appreciated !
Thanks

Merlin810 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2009, 10:37 AM   #2
my04gt

you will have to replace it with a new unit or do what i do and just lightly tap the knob and the face plate unit until the light come back on again. some one on here has bought new lights and soldered them in the board
my04gt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
sabre364
2007 WK 

seems like a common problem, seen it a couple times on this and the other board. I also saw it in a friend's WK.

If you are under warranty get it replaced. If not, you have to buy a whole new board. Now thats some genius Chrysler engineering for you.

Other option - you can solder on new leds, do a search here and jeepsunlimited. Its much cheaper than a new board but might be tricky if you've never used a soldering iron - but not that tricky IMO. The key is to find the right size/voltage leds.
sabre364 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2009, 09:41 PM   #4
sabre364
2007 WK 

here you go

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...control+lights
sabre364 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2009, 07:14 AM   #5
DavidinHartford
2005 WK 

The HVAC illumination bulbs failing is a common problem.

The LEDs over heat and short out. The control head is a sealed unit so the bulbs are not servicable. Not unless you are experienced enough to crack it open and solder your own LEDs in place.

My 2005 is under warranty, so I took it back to the dealer. They replaced the control head.

No cost to me, but there was a price on the work order. Perhaps an internal charge to the sales dept.

The part number is: 55111009AO

part: $94.38

I'm not sure if that is the retail price or dealer internal.

I did notice that the knobs have a chrome edge to them, where as the orginals were all black. So I am hoping this new control is a newer and improved part.
DavidinHartford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.