HOWTO: Replace the MTC Blower Motor Resistor - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > HOWTO: Replace the MTC Blower Motor Resistor

TJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 10-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #46
croth
2005 WK 

I have replaced the resistor pack on my '05 at least three times. The last one lasted about three weeks. Soooo, I figured the blower motor was drawing too much power and changed that out, (it was squeaking anyway). Two days later, driving along, suddenly start seeing smoke coming out from under the dash!! Turned the fan off and it went away!! Got home, got under the dash, tried the fan...... nothing but high speed again.

Tried to pull the plug off the resistor pack, couldn't get it off! It welded itself right to the resistor pack.

I did get it off the resistor pack, completely melted the two outside connectors, wires were burnt an inch up from the connector.

The new harness has much larger wires than the original did.

Oh well, live and learn!

Unread 11-11-2013, 06:20 AM   #47
Sighn

mouse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeOnABoard View Post
This just helped me get a mouse out of blower. Oh my beejesus it stank! To drop the motor just take off the shield below the glove box and then take the 6 torx screws out of the bottom of the motor. Then pull down!

Now I get to eat dinner then go clean out the blood.
I found one in my blower too. Now to find out how it got in, and screen off the entrance!
Sighn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #48
98jgc
2005 WK 

Just did mine, great and super easy to follow write up, I found it easier to cross hands when manipulating the bump stop things right for left , left for right. It felt more natural. Anyway one of the wire blue/grayish colored wire look was a little burned up looking, as was the connector on that single outermost pin. I plugged it in and it worked fine. I'll probably need to do the upgraded harness soon. Part was 8.00 on ebay shipped, so if I need another mehh who cares. And yes this job is 10 minutes tops - Don't be afraid it is a 1/10 in difficulty.
98jgc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2014, 02:10 PM   #49
wootenjs

I have the reverse of this, plenty of air on lowest and intermediate settings, but nothing on highest setting. Could it still be resistor?
wootenjs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2014, 07:37 PM   #50
bknox0928

Help! :)

I found this post to be SO helpful, very easy to DIY with all the pictures. Any ideas on what else could cause the same thing? My AC would only work on full blast in my 2005 Grand Cherokee. We replaced the blower motor resistor but it didn't fix the problem, any suggestions on what to try next would be greatly appreciated!
bknox0928 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 12:32 PM   #51
stark_WK
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknox0928 View Post
I found this post to be SO helpful, very easy to DIY with all the pictures. Any ideas on what else could cause the same thing? My AC would only work on full blast in my 2005 Grand Cherokee. We replaced the blower motor resistor but it didn't fix the problem, any suggestions on what to try next would be greatly appreciated!
I have had this problem for a year and I thought it was the knob that controls the AC!!! I wish I had seen this post sooner!

Swapped out old resistor, put in new one. Everything works fine... except the backlight to the information panel and shift panel don't light up.. I think I read somewhere it's actually a faulty switch in the headlight switch assembly on the steering wheel.

I had difficulty removing the connector to the blower motor resistor, and when it finally came loose, I noticed both end terminals look black (burnt, melted).

bknox, I would guess it might be a faulty contact on in the knob that controls the AC?
stark_WK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2014, 12:28 PM   #52
kendog81

Blower motor

Much thanks!!! (too hot not to have the AC working properly) Time for that cold Beer!!
kendog81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2014, 06:51 PM   #53
ladyjen
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jager00 View Post
God write up. I was actually trying to do it the other day but didnt know which screws to take out so I just didnt mess with it lol
God wrote that up? and here I am thinking the dude was only human!
ladyjen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2014, 02:35 PM   #54
BrooklynWK

I'm done using aftermarket blower motor resistors and blower motors. Not worth it. I replaced a blower motor because it was making noise after having it for less than a year. Some things are not worth buying aftermarket. Just spend the $$ and get mopar stuff.
BrooklynWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2014, 03:45 PM   #55
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynWK View Post
I'm done using aftermarket blower motor resistors and blower motors. Not worth it. I replaced a blower motor because it was making noise after having it for less than a year. Some things are not worth buying aftermarket. Just spend the $$ and get mopar stuff.
Agree with you. There are just certain components that are not worth the few dollars you save when they have to be replaced more frequently. I believe heater blower motors are one of those. Mine start to die after 3.5 to 5 years ( my 4th Grand Cherokee).
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2014, 08:41 PM   #56
00RedWJ
2006 WK 

I replaced my resistor and a few months later the fan stopped working intermittently but would come on with a good whack to the glove compartment box. I found rock auto had the resistor complete,with new harness for $12 (link below). Soldered in the new harness and kept a resistor pack for a spare. Been fine now for a year The old harness was pretty fried, apparently not sufficient gauge wiring.

http://www.rockauto.com/m/mobilecata...&parttype=6557

2006 Black Grand Cherokee Laredo WK
3.7 with 65,000 Miles
00RedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.