HOWTO: Replace the MTC Blower Motor Resistor - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > HOWTO: Replace the MTC Blower Motor Resistor

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 09-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #31
LifeOnABoard
2008 WK 

This just helped me get a mouse out of blower. Oh my beejesus it stank! To drop the motor just take off the shield below the glove box and then take the 6 torx screws out of the bottom of the motor. Then pull down!

Now I get to eat dinner then go clean out the blood.

LifeOnABoard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #32
goflick
2005 WK 

I have a rapid ticking when the blower is on. Will replacing this switch make that go away?
goflick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #33
jjbankhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by xOakley View Post
Well what exactly is it doing, maybe we can further pin point the problem. I still havent gotten around to replacing mine but I have ordered the wrong part twice lol I realized i was ordering on for an "manual" A/c unit and the part dosnt have as many connectors on it. I cant find one for me, but I have NOT tried the dealership. I dont even try and buy things like that from them, they tend to charge tooooo much for me.

Use the pictures above, they will help you get right to it. I would take the resistor out completely and drive over to the dealership WITH IT so you can compare the part you have to the one they are selling you. Not sure about the jeeps but on alot of cars they have updated them and the resistor looks sightly diffrent on the outside. Just make sure its got as many plug connections as yours. Good luck and keep us updated
new to this forum, first post

I actually got a WAY cheaper part on my resistor and harness at the nearest jeep dealer.

Napa wanted 89.00 for the resistor and 70-100 for the harness.

Jeep dealer charged 26 and change for the resistor and 29 for the harness.

I have the 4 pin resistor for manual controls.

thanks to the OP this is very useful for first time replacements.
jjbankhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 04:21 PM   #34
lucasweatherby
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Moved Post Here:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/bl...l#post15224423

Last edited by lucasweatherby; 03-31-2013 at 05:16 PM..
lucasweatherby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 04:22 PM   #35
lucasweatherby
2005 TJ Wrangler 

PS. I so did not realize this was a Cherokee subtopic until just now.
lucasweatherby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 11:33 PM   #36
madcommander

Awsome thank you so much for showing us this. The dealer wanted way to much to fix this.
madcommander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #37
Eck

So, I am one of the lucky few who dont have a resistor. I have a blower power module. Which is a cool $100 at the dealer. I couldn't find it at any parts stores...
Eck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #38
Walt
2008 WK 

Thank you for taking the time to do it well.

My blower motor (on auto. temp. control system) is starting to go. Now, I have a template to follow in repairing it.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 12:48 PM   #39
R4TCHET
2005 WK 

Hmmmm, I got mine at autozone for $10. no joke

Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone using JeepForum
| (dark)KHAKI WK CLUB MEMBER 17 | 2005 4.7L QTII | JBA UCAs | Modified OME MD 3.5" lift | Rusty's Adj. track bar | 4XG Matrix | 285/70r17 Duratracs | 17" KMC Enduro Wheels | Rola Roof Rack | 21" Bean LED Light bar on Roof Rack | 2 12" Punch P3 Subs | Expanded Sheet Grille | SA Sliders |
R4TCHET is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #40
Walt
2008 WK 

FWIW, the blower motors on each of my 4 GC's ('97 ZJ, '00 & '03 WJ's & '08 WK) have died after ~5 yrs. The '08 WK (with) ATC is starting to act up now. Every so often, I have to smack the glove box to get it to run. Once it starts, it runs reasonably well.

The motor needs to be replaced, but it comes as a sub-assembly with the fan wheel attached.

This thread was great, because I couldn't see how to get the glovebox out damage-free. Thank you.

BTW: GC's with ATC have an electronic board in place of the resistor.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #41
willys-fan

@colinzj, THANK YOU!! really appreciate the details with picture. It sure saved me some $$, above all had the great satisfaction of having repaired it myself.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Jeep Grand Cherokee 2005
willys-fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #42
BigSensFan
2007 WK 

My part does not look like the OP picture are there more than one part number for various years?

Is this a part number for it 04885482ac/a

and is this what it looks like?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/01-12-Chrysle...item257f3f860c
BigSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #43
ligcmp
2005 WK 

I found this write up after I posted my problem with my blow motor resistor. However I am happy I took it to the garage because there was damage to the wiring harness. My friend works at the garage and did the install and told me it took longer then normal due to that. Cost me $42.
Black WK Club Member #23
ligcmp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #44
cooley123

that was the part!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbptrsn View Post
I went back and checked the wire harness after the symptoms started again and it was burnt. The resistor seem fine, no damage. I found the parts on justforjeeps.com. I am going to try to replace it, the wire harness seemed lose. Hopefully that will fix it, if not then I will replace the blower.

link here: http://www.justforjeeps.com/blmore.html

Part number - 5191797AA
Thats it right there! Advanced auto had no clue what i needed and ordered me some 50.oo part that was not correct at all even though it says so in their system. thanks for the link. just ordered it!! Well actually, the resistor wasnt the issue, it was the harness itself. even though that link is correct, the same site has the correct harness too! Either way, thanks for the lead!!!

http://www.justforjeeps.com/recoforre.html

cooley123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 08:25 AM   #45
haasie20
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thank You. Fixing my Sisters commander as soon as the part arrives. Replaced the resistor in my Wrangler 3 times in 6 years.
haasie20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.