HOWTO: Replace the MTC Blower Motor Resistor - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > HOWTO: Replace the MTC Blower Motor Resistor

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-14-2011, 08:18 AM   #16
xOakley
2005 WK 

Well what exactly is it doing, maybe we can further pin point the problem. I still havent gotten around to replacing mine but I have ordered the wrong part twice lol I realized i was ordering on for an "manual" A/c unit and the part dosnt have as many connectors on it. I cant find one for me, but I have NOT tried the dealership. I dont even try and buy things like that from them, they tend to charge tooooo much for me.

Use the pictures above, they will help you get right to it. I would take the resistor out completely and drive over to the dealership WITH IT so you can compare the part you have to the one they are selling you. Not sure about the jeeps but on alot of cars they have updated them and the resistor looks sightly diffrent on the outside. Just make sure its got as many plug connections as yours. Good luck and keep us updated

xOakley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2011, 08:25 AM   #17
CmmdrDan

Will this help with the problem of it not shutting down completely? When i turn the heat off it still blows hot air, its not blowing hard but enough to make me sweat..
CmmdrDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2011, 11:42 AM   #18
MBDiagMan
2005 WK 

The blower motor that I'm working on is completely dead. I have checked the fuses, but have not gotten into the guts of anything yet. I found the correct wiring diagrams, so I plan on troubleshooting tonight or tomorrow.

It looks like I will begin by going to the resistor, since it's easy to get to, and checking for voltage from there. If it has voltage I will jump 12V to the motor and see if it turns. If not I guess I will have to figure out how to get to the fan switch to check for voltage there.

It sounds like the resistor is a problem area. If I'm lucky and it's the culprit, I will take it to the Jeep dealer for a replacement. I live 20 miles from a town of 25,000 so there aren't too many options for getting such a part.

Thanks for the replies.
MBDiagMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2011, 10:29 AM   #19
MBDiagMan
2005 WK 

I'm posting my outcome in several places in hopes that someone in the future will benefit from what I found.

The earliest WK had a Technical Bulletin specifying an upgrade for the blower resistor and connector. Your dealer can find it and will want your VIN to use for the search.

In our case it took out the heater control in the dash. This was all very easy to deal with once I found the disassembly instructions on this site.

I hope this serves to be helpful to someone in the future and thanks for all the help from those on this site.
Unread 03-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #20
jager00
2005 WK 

God write up. I was actually trying to do it the other day but didnt know which screws to take out so I just didnt mess with it lol

2005 WK 9" lift on 37's with all the goodies- regretfully sold :(
jager00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2011, 09:57 AM   #21
rbptrsn
2006 WK 

I replaced my resistor and I am having the same problem. I the blow works fine then it shuts off for a minute (Like its taking a breath) and turns back on. Sometimes it only works on high until i hit the side underneath the glove box. Summer is coming soon, I need my AC.
rbptrsn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2011, 10:01 AM   #22
jager00
2005 WK 

Is the connector fried? You might have fireplace that too

Unread 04-25-2011, 10:12 AM   #23
rbptrsn
2006 WK 

It looked fine when I replaced the resistor. Nothing burnt on the connector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jager00 View Post
Is the connector fried? You might have fireplace that too
Unread 04-25-2011, 10:14 AM   #24
jager00
2005 WK 

Then im lost lol... that was my alturnative solution lok

Unread 08-05-2011, 12:26 PM   #25
pinacocacola
2006 XK Commander 

Same problem, blower motor of 06 commander only pushed air on high, eventually went out.

bought a new blower motor resistor, found out there was always 12v power to the blower motor. Examination of blower motor showed burned out bearing. Resistor still at correct volts and ohms. But it cant hurt to keep the new one in. Thanks for the DIY, we need more like it.
pinacocacola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #26
BigSensFan
2007 WK 

Would bad resistors be the reason the Fan does not always come on?
BigSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2011, 11:01 AM   #27
rbptrsn
2006 WK 

Wiring Harness

Does anyone know where I can find a wiring harness? Nobody seems to carry it. I have checked ebay, autozone, and etc.
Unread 08-23-2011, 11:05 AM   #28
JRLT
2010 WK 

Just got the 2005 GC back from the dealer. They said that the blower motor is drawing too much current, which fried the resistor, so just changing the resistor is just a temporary fix until it happens again.
He recommended a new motor & resistor, was a $100.
JRLT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2011, 11:17 AM   #29
rbptrsn
2006 WK 

I went back and checked the wire harness after the symptoms started again and it was burnt. The resistor seem fine, no damage. I found the parts on justforjeeps.com. I am going to try to replace it, the wire harness seemed lose. Hopefully that will fix it, if not then I will replace the blower.

link here: http://www.justforjeeps.com/blmore.html

Part number - 5191797AA
Unread 08-24-2011, 01:44 PM   #30
MBDiagMan
2005 WK 

Okay, here's the deal.

The early versions that require the upgrade of the resistor, will almost certainly need the upgraded connector. Both are available at the dealer and they will want your VIN to get the right part. Also, from the link posted here a few posts ago, it sounds as if someone found these parts available from a third party source.

If you leave the original connector, it may be burnt, but not easily seen. This is most likely what is giving you the intermittent blower operation.

One poster indicated that there is 12V at the motor all the time. That is the way it's designed. The switch provides different resistance paths on the GROUND side to control motor speed.

As follow up, after upgrading the resistor and connector in my daughters WK back in January, it has run perfectly even during the hellish Texas Summer we're dealing with.

Hope this helps someone,
Doc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.