How to reset a TPMS code? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > How to reset a TPMS code?

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 08-16-2009, 07:49 PM   #1
MarkoPo
2005 WK 

How to reset a TPMS code?

One of my wheel sensors went bad and I had it replaced. I can see all of the pressures now, but I still get the service tire pressure system message that stays on all the time. It is very annoying. I hit the compass temp button nd then in about a minute the error message pops back up and stays on. Can I reset it or does the dealer have to clear the code?

Hemi Club member #2
Bonafide Gun Guru
MarkoPo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 07:50 PM   #2
HMUSN
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Not that I have the TPMS sensors since I have a 91, but my grandmothers car had the same issue. It shows you how to do it in the owners manual.
HMUSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 09:16 PM   #3
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Quote:
Sensor learning mode

Each sensor’s (transmitter) broadcast is uniquely coded so that the wireless control module (WCM) can monitor the state of each of the sensors on the four rotating road wheels. The WCM can automatically learn and store the sensor’s ID while driving “within 10 minutes continuously above 15 m.p.h. (24 Km/h)” after a sensor has been replaced, the vehicle must be stationary for more than 20 minutes in order to initiate the learning sequence.
WKJeeps.com
Unread 08-17-2009, 06:13 PM   #4
MarkoPo
2005 WK 

I don't think that's it. The wheel sensor was installed a few months ago. It reads the pressures fine but still says to service tire pressure monitoring system.
Hemi Club member #2
Bonafide Gun Guru
Unread 08-17-2009, 11:46 PM   #5
fatfreddy
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoPo View Post
I don't think that's it. The wheel sensor was installed a few months ago. It reads the pressures fine but still says to service tire pressure monitoring system.
Maybe the spare tire is causing the problem.
fatfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2009, 11:40 AM   #6
merlinTec

Hi
You have a fault in the system if all the tires are at the correct pressure. I would suspect a trigger module fault or wiring to it. (search I have posted pictures) get the codes read and come back.
Unread 08-20-2009, 05:25 PM   #7
MarkoPo
2005 WK 

I found the pictures of the rear pickup and I don't think that is it. Let me tell the whole story of it. In March a tie-rod broke going about 40 and I cremed into a bridge viaduct. It mangled the front passenger wheel, fender, and bumper cover. I got everything fixed and they put my old wheel sensor on the new wheel. It didn't work so they ordered a new wheel sensor. The pressure started reading fine after about 5 miles or so, but the error message has been there ever since. Is there anyway to just reset the whole system like disconnecting the battery or pulling a fuse to the TPMS system and see if it will reset and the error message will go away?
Hemi Club member #2
Bonafide Gun Guru
Unread 02-06-2010, 10:47 PM   #8
micajustin
1970 CJ5 

I put rubicon rims and tires off of a 2009 Wrangler on my 2006 Grand Cherokee. The tire pressures do not read and I get the blinking light and beeping every time I drive. It repeats every 10 minutes or so. I am about ready to jump it off a bridge. Tire store said it should reset itself. WRONG! Any help would be much appreciated.
micajustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2010, 11:30 PM   #9
06cherotect132
2005 WK 

UNplug the battery for 20 minutes. Doesn't that usually reset what needs to be reset?
Unread 02-07-2010, 10:12 AM   #10
555ctsv
2006 WK 

Any chance they put in the 433mhz sensor instead of the 315mhz?
06 WK Limited 4x4 Racing Solutions 6.4L 392 Stroker HEMI - 2" Daystar / 255-75-17 BFG MT's / SpiderTrax 1.5" / SRT8 Exhaust / K&N Intake / HID Headlights and Fogs / Alto Red Eagle Clutch Packs / Transgo Shift Kit / Diablo Trinity / Bilstein Shocks / Rear SRT Sway / Deeza Front End Links
555ctsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #11
MarkoPo
2005 WK 

Mine has the right sensors, the black is about wore off the knob from me continually hitting the compass/temp button on my dash. This has ben going on Since April of last year so I don't think it's going away anytime soon. I'll probably have to take to to the dealer and see if they can reset it or something.
Hemi Club member #2
Bonafide Gun Guru
Unread 02-08-2010, 12:29 PM   #12
555ctsv
2006 WK 

Well i dont have a spare at all and am also tired of this warning! Here's my attempt at a fix. I still havent put 32psi into it yet, just realized i dont have a tire pressure gauge at home. I put the sensor and valve stem into an electrical junction box and sealed it up. It's air tight but im not sure how many psi it'll hold!

06 WK Limited 4x4 Racing Solutions 6.4L 392 Stroker HEMI - 2" Daystar / 255-75-17 BFG MT's / SpiderTrax 1.5" / SRT8 Exhaust / K&N Intake / HID Headlights and Fogs / Alto Red Eagle Clutch Packs / Transgo Shift Kit / Diablo Trinity / Bilstein Shocks / Rear SRT Sway / Deeza Front End Links
555ctsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 09:50 AM   #13
twojeeps

Same Problem

I have a 2005 Grand Cherokee (WK) with the 5.7L engine, too, and I have this exact same problem. I bought the vehicle used, so I'm not sure what issues might have happen in the past. The tire pressures read fine. I just get the error message "Service Tire Pressure.System" every few minutes. I can step through it to read the pressures and see the rest of the message screen, but it keeps coming back. Regarding the suggestion to disconnect the battery for 20 minutes. I read in the owners manual that if you do this with a vehicle that has the cylinder deactivation system, you will need to take it to a dealer to get them to reprogram that system.
twojeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 10:09 AM   #14
colinzj
2006 WK 

For an '05, it's within the realm of possibility that the battery in one or more of the sensors is reaching the end of its life.

At any rate, a dealer can read out the exact TPMS issue and point you in the right direction for a fix.
Unread 07-28-2010, 11:19 AM   #15
meep
2008 WK 

my 08 laredo is throwing the light too. generic light-- can't see which wheel it is. all pressures are fine. i could take it in under warranty, but my dealer blows, based on multiple experiences. tried to sell a friend's wife "front brake clutches" at $200 a corner for their minivan. took them 3 tries to put my passenger door panel on right. i wouldn't trust them with a can opener and some refried beans.

M
meep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.