How To Remove/Install Starter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > How To Remove/Install Starter

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-26-2012, 06:07 AM   #1
Macguba798
2005 WK 

How To Remove/Install Starter

I tried searching this forum for pictured procedure of the 2005 WK 3.7 V6 starter removal/install and can not find one so I hope this helps someone.

I'm experiencing the dreaded wouldn't crank/turn over starter issue. Checked the battery and it's showing 12.7V battery cable wires are very clean. Starter wires looks clean but the solenoid is rusted so I figured since Jeep has 80K + miles anyway might just clean change the starter and might get lucky.

Disclaimer: I'm no expert and claim to be one. This procedure is my own way and follow so at your own risk.

Tools:

-13-15mm sockets.
-Long flat screw driver or anything flat tipped tool (for yellow wire)
-various size socket wrench extensions
-universal socket joints
-2 ton jack stand (optional)
-2 ton floor jack (optional)

My Steps:

- Disconnect battery cables.
- Put front end in jack stand (optional).
- Remove front under body panel.
- Unbolt driver side half shaft. You can access 2 bolts at a time and to access the other 2 you have to put the shift lever to neutral (put ignition to on) position then go back down and turn half shaft manually to position the other 2 bolts. Go back up and put shift lever back to park, therefore; locking the half shaft into position then go back down and unbolt the remaining 2 bolts.
dsc03138.jpg

dsc03139.jpg

- Unbolt starter
dsc03154.jpg

- Remove Solenoid cable and yellow wire once the starter is unbolted. You have to maneuver it around with your other hand to access the nut.
dsc03140.jpg

- Pull out the starter through driver side half shaft by pushing it on the side
dsc03145.jpg

Install the new starter in the revers process and good luck. It took me about 3 hours because I have to figure out several approaches. I would suggest add 6 pack of beer to your tools list.

Unfortunately for me new starter did not solve my Jeep's problem so back to square one.

Macguba798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2012, 06:59 AM   #2
t3kmitch
2005 WK 

Replace the terminal on the yellow wire and it will probably start right up.
Blue WK Club Member #32
t3kmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2012, 07:05 AM   #3
Macguba798
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3kmitch View Post
Replace the terminal on the yellow wire and it will probably start right up.
Cool. I'll try that too but what's making me wonder is the clicking sound under the dash board by the steering column. I used to have an OEM alarm that is not working anymore and I'm wondering if it is the alarm kill switch that is causing this too.

Thanks for the tip.
Macguba798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2012, 08:14 AM   #4
t3kmitch
2005 WK 

I had problems with the yellow wire connection and it still created a click behind the dash (think it actually was coming from the relay/fuse boxes). I was told the relay will click when it activates sending power to the starter, but the corroded connection won't transmit the power to the solenoid.

Usually a wiggle of the yellow wire connection got it started for me. Seeing as you replaced the starter (which involves shifting around the connection, equivalent to a "wiggle") and it still doesn't start the alarm could be a real option. However, I'll bet the connection is easier and cheaper than troubleshooting the alarm.
Blue WK Club Member #32
t3kmitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.