How to remove engine shroud - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > How to remove engine shroud

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 10-04-2013, 05:44 AM   #1
hdsport
2008 WK 

How to remove engine shroud

Just looking at my '08 JGC 4.7L engine yesterday and was going to pull a couple of plugs to check them and was wondering what is the method to remove the plastic shroud cover from the engine.

Didn't want to break anything, so I thought I'd seek some professional help.......

Thanks.

In God We Trust
hdsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 05:45 AM   #2
scootter82
2009 WK 

On my hemi, I just had to remove the oil cap then pull off the shroud
Unread 10-04-2013, 06:34 AM   #3
caulk04
2008 WK 

I didn't think the 4.7 had a shroud...I know the previous ones didn't. Maybe the 08+ does.

Otherwise, I'd imagine you're talking about the airhat/intake resonator. Should be a couple bolts on either side of it going into brackets on the intake manifold and obviously the hose clamps at the inlet and outlet.
Unread 10-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #4
jjarvis0007
2005 WK 

If you're talking about the 4.7 V8 cover its two 10mm bolts on each side and them some 5/16's on the throttle body and intake tube. Pull back and up once those are loosened and you'll be good to go.
jjarvis0007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
modernblueWK

Nope, on the 2008 4.7 you pull the outer shroud toward you (toward the grille). Itjust pops into a few ball socket fasteners. The airbox is attached to the throttle body with a hose clamp.

The shroud you see is two pieces.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
hdsport
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernblueWK View Post
Nope, on the 2008 4.7 you pull the outer shroud toward you (toward the grille). Itjust pops into a few ball socket fasteners. The airbox is attached to the throttle body with a hose clamp.

The shroud you see is two pieces.
Thank You, That's just the kind of information that I needed.
I just lifted up the front and gently pulled the catches from the rear and it came right off.
The air box was attached as you stated.

I checked one Top plug and it had a nice tan color and was gapped at .044.

Looks like a little wear, but nothing that says I should change them.

Thank You again for your help....this is what makes this Forum great.
In God We Trust
hdsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #7
modernblueWK

If/when you do change them, make sure you use the proper factory spec bosch plugs. I got mine from justforjeeps.com.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.