How to program remote 2010 GC - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-04-2011, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
olanin

How to program remote 2010 GC

I have two "keys" and a blank one. How do I program the blank one? I found a few different ways to program it, but none worked.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-04-2011, 05:34 PM
moymch
2013 WK 

They have to be programed at the dealer. Be thankful that your key fobs work! Mine have not worked right since the day I bought it last year. My third set of fobs has been on back order through my dealership for the last 3 months. 5000 key fobs have been on back order nation wide from what the service manager tells me.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-04-2011, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
olanin

Thanks for the information, did this just stop with the 2010, because there are a lot of guides for 2005+ customer programming.

If you need spare keys, there is a guy selling used ones for $34 each on ebay...the two I ordered are in great condidtion.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-04-2011, 09:12 PM
moymch
2013 WK 

I'm not sure if this programing is only for the 2010 model year. This is just what I'm being told, but then who trusts a dealership? If my GC wasn't under warranty I would be looking else were. That is a good price on the fobs as I thought they were about $150ea.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-05-2011, 05:01 AM
Budasac
2005 WK 

As far as I know, you can program the key yourself if you have two working fobs, and a third to be programmed. The reason you need two is so some one can't "clone" your key when you give it to a valet, etc. When I get home later I'll look it up in the Service manual for you.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-05-2011, 01:36 PM
Budasac
2005 WK 

Here you go. This should help:

SENTRY KEY TRANSPONDER PROGRAMMING
All Sentry Keys included with the vehicle are pre-programmed to work with the Sentry Key Immobilizer System
(SKIS) when it is shipped from the factory. The Sentry Key REmote Entry Module (SKREEM) can be programmed
to recognize up to a total of eight Sentry Keys. When programming a blank Sentry Key transponder, the key must
first be cut to match the ignition switch lock cylinder in the vehicle for which it will be used. Once the additional or
new key has been cut, the SKREEM must be programmed to recognize it as a valid key. There are two possible
8Q - 92 VEHICLE THEFT SECURITY - SERVICE INFORMATION WK
methods to program the SKREEM to recognize a new or additional valid key, the Secured Access Method and the
Customer Learn Method. Following are the details of these two programming methods.
SECURED ACCESS METHOD
The Secured Access method applies to all vehicles. This method requires the use of a diagnostic scan tool. This
method will also require that you have access to the unique four-digit PIN code that was assigned to the original
SKREEM. The PIN code must be used to enter the Secured Access Mode in the SKREEM. This PIN number may
be obtained from the vehicle owner, from the original vehicle invoice, or from the DaimlerChrysler Customer Center.
Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information for the proper Secured Access method programming procedures.

CUSTOMER LEARN METHODThe Customer Learn feature is only available on domestic vehicles, or those vehicles which have a U.S. country
code designator. This programming method also requires access to at least two valid Sentry Keys. If two valid Sentry
Keys are not available, or if the vehicle does not have a U.S. country code designator, the Secured Access
Method must be used to program new or additional valid keys to the SKREEM. The Customer Learn programming
method procedures are as follows:
1. Obtain the blank Sentry Key(s) that are to be programmed as valid keys for the vehicle. Cut the blank key(s) to
match the ignition switch lock cylinder mechanical key codes.
2. Insert one of the two valid Sentry Keys into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch to the On position.
3. After the ignition switch has been in the On position for longer than three seconds, but no more than fifteen
seconds, cycle the ignition switch back to the Off position. Replace the first valid Sentry Key in the ignition switch
lock cylinder with the second valid Sentry Key and turn the ignition switch back to the On position. The second
valid Sentry Key must be inserted in the lock cylinder within fifteen seconds of removing the first valid key.
4. About ten seconds after the completion of Step 3, the security indicator in the instrument cluster will start to flash
to indicate that the system has entered the Customer Learn programming mode.
5. Within sixty seconds of entering the Customer Learn programming mode, turn the ignition switch to the Off position,
replace the valid Sentry Key with a blank Sentry Key transponder, and turn the ignition switch back to the
On position.
6. About ten seconds after the completion of Step 5, the security indicator will stop flashing, stay on solid for three
seconds, then turn off to indicate that the blank Sentry Key has been successfully programmed. The SKIS will
immediately exit the Customer Learn programming mode. After the ignition is cycled the vehicle may be started
using the newly programmed valid Sentry Key.
Each of these steps must be repeated and completed in their entirety for each additional Sentry Key that is to be
programmed. If the above steps are not completed in the given sequence, or within the allotted time, the SKREEM
will exit the Customer Learn programming mode and the programming will be unsuccessful. The SKREEM will also
automatically exit the Customer Learn programming mode if it sees a non-blank Sentry Key transponder when it
should see a blank, if it has already programmed eight (8) valid Sentry Keys, or if the ignition switch is turned to the
Off position for more than about fifty seconds.
NOTE: If an attempt is made to start the vehicle while in the Customer Learn mode (security indicator flashing),
the SKIS will respond as though the vehicle were being started with an invalid key. In other words, the
engine will stall after about two seconds of operation. No faults will be set.
NOTE: Once a Sentry Key has been programmed as a valid key to a vehicle, it cannot be programmed as a
valid key for use on any other vehicle.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-05-2011, 01:55 PM
airportdave
Either Flyin' or Jeepin'

2010 WK 

The procedure posted above doesn't work on 2010's. They have to go the dealer to add an extra key. For some stupid reason, Jeep took away our ability to program additional fobs ourselves.

2010 Grand Cherokee Limited Hemi Q-D II, OME MD, 265/70/17 Hankook ATM's, HemiFever Tune
post #8 of 9 Old 01-05-2011, 02:29 PM
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by airportdave View Post
The procedure posted above doesn't work on 2010's. They have to go the dealer to add an extra key. For some stupid reason, Jeep took away our ability to program additional fobs ourselves.
That sucks. Anything to get some extra money out of us.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-01-2015, 06:30 PM
lowrider_34
2010 WK 

I just had a quote for $85 for the FOB and $168 to program it at the local stealership. Got a quote from a locksmith that was less but way too much. My FOB works but when the key is barely touched, it will start the car, or i'll come out of a place and the front windows will be down. I'm hoping I can get away with a new shell. I'm not paying $250 for a damn key!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.