How much is a factory catalytic converter & oxygen sensors - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-07-2017, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Penemonie
2006 WK 

How much is a factory catalytic converter & oxygen sensors

I drive an 06 Grand Cherokee 3.7L. I had some misfires and got the ignition coils/sparks plugs replaced and the fuel injecting systems (after driving on the highway for 30min). I took the car back home from the shop and everything was okay. However, yesterday the shaking during idling issue came back and the check engine light was flashing then stayed on. I brought it my car to the shop again and they told me that the catalytic converter is plugged and I need to have it replaced as well as the two oxygen sensors. They told me that a factory cat costs $1,300 and with the two sensors plus labor, I am looking at $2,400...
is there anything that doesn't sound right?

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5428.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-07-2017, 01:45 PM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

A good, local, trustworthy muffler shop should be able to tell you if the cats. are truly plugged up. A good computerized diagnostic scanner can also detect problems with them. It is somewhat rare, unless there have been ongoing 02 (fuel mixture) problems. Then they usually overheat and the catalyst disintegrates. The muffler shop would probably first pound on them with the palm of his/her had (or use a rubber mallet) and see if they rattle, indicating catalyst fragmenting. They would also probably burn a hole in front of and in back of the cats. and check the back pressure on both sides of the cat. The pressures should be very close to the same on both sides.

New factory cats. (usually come as a complete "Y" pipe with cats.) are indeed very expensive. Again, if they prove to be bad, a good muffler shop should be able to weld in some "approved" cats. for a whole lot less $$$. O2 Sensors usually run ~$30-50 each and, if you have more than about 100K on the vehicle, I'd replace them all....two in front of cats., and two after the cats.

Also, coils rarely fail and would not need to be replaced. These are easily checked also, rather than just replacing them. Were there any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) showing? Other things can cause idle issues too, such as a contaminated Idle Air Control Motor.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing and how it turns out.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, TruFlow Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, Transgo Shift Kit, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-07-2017, 02:22 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

Before you replace the O2 sensors, check the fuses and relays. I once wasted a lot of money on new sensors when the fuse was the real problem.

2007 WK CRD QDII OME MD OMG WTF BBQ

post #4 of 7 Old 09-07-2017, 03:18 PM
Raffish
2005 WK 

$1300 is what the OEM ones cost... Check out a Magnaflow one, about half the cost if de!eting isn't an option.. Kolak can hook you up I believe...

05 WK Limited 5.7, QDII, CherryPop Red, OME HD, DIY CC, 230xxxkms
15 Compass 2.4L, 15xxxkms
post #5 of 7 Old 09-07-2017, 04:30 PM
LouC
2007 WK 

Went through this with my 07 a couple of years ago. Was getting the P013 slow O2 sensor response code. It was caused by a crack in the converter letting in extra air. Because it was before 80k miles I got it done for free (fed emissions warrsntee).
In NY we have Cali emissions which I feel is completely outrageous we never asked for that. And guess what, after market cats may not cut it with the Cali emissions.

2017 JK Unlimited Sport 6 spd
2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac
post #6 of 7 Old 09-08-2017, 12:08 AM
Kolak
Vendor

What code(s) are stored? Did the shop tell you?

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-26-2017, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Penemonie
2006 WK 

Update:
I decided to go with the repair because I didn't think the car would worth any if it had the bad act. Now it drives fine but sometimes shakes a little bit for a brief second (power is not going through from the engine to the wheels) when I accelerate from stop or very low speed. Bought the car in 2014 and never experienced mechanical issues until this time. I feel that the car has reached the stage where it starts to have many issues.
Thanks for all y'all's responses!

Tags
catalytic converter , grand cherokee , misfire , oxygen sensor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.