How long to notice GDE tune benefits? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > How long to notice GDE tune benefits?

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDThe NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.com

Unread 02-13-2014, 05:11 PM   #1
VulcanWDE
2007 WK 

How long to notice GDE tune benefits?

So I just installed the GDE eco tune on my 07 CRD last night. Before the tune, I was averaging 23mpg on my 30 mile commute to work with my cruise set at 68mph. After installing the GDE tune, I averaged exactly the same mpg to and from work today. Should I notice a difference right away or does it take time? Honestly, from what I've read from others, I was really hoping to see 25+mpg, which would be a 2mpg increase. Thoughts?

Unread 02-13-2014, 05:21 PM   #2
Hendrix9
2007 WK 

Have you noticed a difference in the power though? I personally have a hard time not laying into the throttle with the extra power. I didn't see much of a mpg gain for that reason. It's like I have a little hot rod now at red lights.

Highway only I gained maybe 2mpg if it's a long stretch of highway, but since I get up to speed so quickly short trips are the same as pre tune.

If you don't feel the extra power I'd try loading the tune again.

Also, are you hand calculating or using the computer? My computer is always 1.5 mpg less than it really is, and my tires are stock.
Hendrix9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 05:39 PM   #3
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

If the 23MPG is from the EVIC then you won't see a difference for a couple trips since EVIC is an average over a certain period. If it is hand calculated I would try to upload the tune again.
Unread 02-13-2014, 05:43 PM   #4
VulcanWDE
2007 WK 

Power does seem slightly improved, however I don't have a heavy foot. I usually cruise between 65-70 on the highway. My main goal was picking up the 2-4mpg that was advertised. To compare apples to apples, I'm just going by my computer mpg just because I know what it consistently reads. Tires are stock size.
Unread 02-13-2014, 05:45 PM   #5
VulcanWDE
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepforthewin View Post
If the 23MPG is from the EVIC then you won't see a difference for a couple trips since EVIC is an average over a certain period. If it is hand calculated I would try to upload the tune again.
Even though I reset the EVIC for both trips once I was on the highway? Both trips netted me 23mpg, which was the same as my pre-tune mpg for the same drive.
Unread 02-13-2014, 06:13 PM   #6
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

I've had my Eco tune in for about 3 weeks, and haven't noticed a major MPG improvement either. I have noticed a HUGE power increase.
caddydaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 06:15 PM   #7
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

If the EVIC was reset then it should be different.
Unread 02-13-2014, 06:17 PM   #8
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepforthewin View Post
If the EVIC was reset then it should be different.
I hand calculate and reset the EVIC after every tank fill up. But so far, I have less than 1 tank through using the Eco tune. The EVIC is showing around the same MPG as before though.
Unread 02-13-2014, 07:10 PM   #9
VulcanWDE
2007 WK 

Thanks for the feedback. I'm hoping it picks up some. If it doesn't get any better than stock mpg, I'll definitely be disappointed and not sure it's worth the $700. I was actually ok with the stock power.
Unread 02-13-2014, 07:40 PM   #10
TangoTango
2008 WK 

I get about 1->2 mpg better. I did notice about 1 mpg improvement around town driving, and 1.7 on freeway driving on 50+ mile trips.

I really didn't buy it for the mpg, I bought it for the performance difference which is huge.
TangoTango is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 08:01 PM   #11
RMC_xj
2007 WK 

Don't make any decisions around the info from your EVIC. Run a few tanks of diesel through it, and hand calculate them. My EVIC says I get 22 MPG, when I know I get 24-25 after hand-bombing it. In addition, even though you may be in a warmer part of the country, you're likely still using winter diesel, which will have an effect on your mileage.
RMC_xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 09:26 PM   #12
VulcanWDE
2007 WK 

I would be happy with a 1-2mpg improvement. I'll give it a few tanks though and hand-calculate as suggested and see what happens. I just thought for sure I would see an increase on computer mpg since I was resetting before each trip. Still perplexed as to why there wouldn't be. Also, of note, my speedo reads 2mph higher than GPS indicated. Have stock tire size. I'm wondering if previous owner had larger tires on at some point
Unread 02-13-2014, 10:42 PM   #13
jlcbikes

GDE Tune Benefits

I have two tunes, one for my 05 kj, and one purchased this week for the 08 wk. I'd say I havent noticed the advertised mpg improvements. When I asked Keith @ GDE about the KJ, he mentioned a few possibilities..

"How many miles on liberty? Any noticeable smoke? Worn rocker arms could hurt fuel economy. Can you measure mass air flow at idle?"

I have 105k, no smoke, not sure about rocker arms and mass air flow. I bought the tunes for engine protection. My egr clogged on the KJ, caused many expensive issues. I want to bypass harmful emissions equipment.
jlcbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 11:06 AM   #14
Chirpz

2007 WK 

I bought GDE just prior to a 6,000 mile trip pulling a trailer. The mileage gain has been about 1.5 sometimes 2, nothing to shout about. But the performance difference is significant. I later deleted the dpf and got the modified tune to include that. This shuts off the extra fuel you burn on a "regen."

While on the trip, I put the stock tune back in so I could track the mileage difference. Sorry, I could not leave it in for a whole day or even a whole tank. After driving 2000 miles with GDE pulling the RV in the mountains, the stock tune felt so wimpy and the turbo lag was uncomfortable that I had to stop and put the GDE back in.

Before the tune, my wife used to complain a lot about turbo lag... just a hesitation when you start of from a light, or pull out into traffic from a stop sign. She has not complained even once after the tune. Our acceleration is now smooth and powerful. The lag is way less.

It is a painfully expensive tune.
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 11:34 AM   #15
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirpz View Post
turbo lag... just a hesitation when you start of from a light, or pull out into traffic from a stop sign. She has not complained even once after the tune. Our acceleration is now smooth and powerful. The lag is way less.

It is a painfully expensive tune.
That was the first thing I noticed! Turbo lag is gone, then you put the pedal down a little more, and it moves forward with authority now!

Yes, the sticker shock got me as well, especially since the tuner I bought for my Escalade was around $250! But I can imagine the Jeep CRD is a very small market. How many CRD GC's were sold in North America?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.