how to install aftermarket amp/subs to existing factory amp - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > how to install aftermarket amp/subs to existing factory amp

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 03-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
Kkoharski
2008 WK 

how to install aftermarket amp/subs to existing factory amp

I have an installation question regarding connecting an aftermarket sub & amp to an existing factory amp AND head unit with no sub output. My vehicle and products are as follows...

2008 jeep grand Cherokee Laredo- w/ touch screen nav & Boston acoustic component speakers and amplifier as well.

I recently purchased and would like to install..

Sound ordnance B-8PT (amp&sub enclosed)
LOC made by Audio Control, LC2i model
Rockford Frosgate 10awg amp wiring kit (includes power & ground wires, act fuse holder, remote wire + hardware
Noise canceling RCA cables

I've installed amps and subwoofers before but never to a factory radio with no RCA outputs and a factory amp for the component speakers.

I am seeking some kind of wiring schematics of help with the best routes to connect everything for the best sound!

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Kkoharski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
denihanj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkoharski
I have an installation question regarding connecting an aftermarket sub & amp to an existing factory amp AND head unit with no sub output. My vehicle and products are as follows...

2008 jeep grand Cherokee Laredo- w/ touch screen nav & Boston acoustic component speakers and amplifier as well.

I recently purchased and would like to install..

Sound ordnance B-8PT (amp&sub enclosed)
LOC made by Audio Control, LC2i model
Rockford Frosgate 10awg amp wiring kit (includes power & ground wires, act fuse holder, remote wire + hardware
Noise canceling RCA cables

I've installed amps and subwoofers before but never to a factory radio with no RCA outputs and a factory amp for the component speakers.

I am seeking some kind of wiring schematics of help with the best routes to connect everything for the best sound!

Any help is appreciated, thank you!
I am trying to do the same in a 2009 grand cherokee. Any answers to you post or did you find answers?
denihanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
bhawks28
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by denihanj View Post
I am trying to do the same in a 2009 grand cherokee. Any answers to you post or did you find answers?
you could try some light reading :
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/f...ub-amp-695810/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/n...g-rer-1490843/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/h...on-ac-1481264/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/s...my-wk-1337143/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/r...ifier-1060135/
Unread 04-13-2013, 11:04 PM   #4
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

i just went through all of this......
Its a huge pain if you have the RER radio (2008+). I guess the non-touch head units will work normal. I have also read that its a possibility that the non-nav RER might work fine. But if you have the RER with the nav, be prepared to get frustrated.

You can't really hook it into the head unit of the RER. You would need to spend a lot of money on a PAC unit that converts the signal from the canbus to an analog audio signal. I believe they are around $150-200 and even those are reported to have issues, and possibly not work at all.
http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=28

I tried everything in my power to splice in my line out converter behind the head unit. I found the wiring diagram and cut and spliced the converter where it normally would go, but it won't work. Let this be a warning, don't waste your time messing with your head unit unless you have the PAC harness.

You could test your luck with the PAC, or get a new head unit, or.......
Its not the most ideal way, but you have to splice the line out converter into the analog OUTPUTS of the stock amp. So basically your new amp is getting the signal from your old amp. Its not going to achieve the best sound quality, but I can tell you that it is still MUCH MUCH better than the stock system. I also have a sound ordnance amp /speakers / 2nd amp/bass. And I installed all new 4 door speakers, and ran new speaker wire.

Take a look at my thread here for more detailed information:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/n.../#post15113721

In the simplest way that I can put it, the jeep sends all of its audio information digitally to the stock amp via the CAN BUS. Its a digital signal, so you can't splice into it (you need analog). Also its supposedly encrypted. What those PAC adapters are suppose to do is take the digital signal from the CAN BUS, and convert it to an analog signal, that you can then use to add a new amp. So all of the audio signal to the stock amp is via CAN BUS. But the output signal from the stock amp is true analog signal to the speakers. So you can do what I did and splice into the outputs of the stock amp with your LOC. But keep in mind you will be using BOTH amps this way. It would certainly produce better sound quality if you could splice directly into the head unit with the PAC adapter. But I have read from a few places that it works, and a few places that it doesn't.
08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | Saguaro Front Shackles | Blacked out front grille, Blacked out stock chrome wheels | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 12:17 AM   #5
Jaashua
2005 WK 

My installer found a way to get around this without going amp to amp, but that is why I paid someone to do it.

Sent from my Samsung S2 using JeepForum
Jaashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 07:57 AM   #6
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Probably with some sort of wiring adapter like the PAC units. There isn't any other way. Unless you have the regular head unit.
08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | Saguaro Front Shackles | Blacked out front grille, Blacked out stock chrome wheels | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #7
Jaashua
2005 WK 

I do, I missed that part.
Jaashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.