How to IMPROVE MPG ????? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > How to IMPROVE MPG ?????

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-19-2012, 05:37 AM   #1
razu13612
2005 WK 

How to IMPROVE MPG ?????

This is probably a dumb question, but .......Can any sensors and/or chips be changed to improve MPG????? I have a 2005 Grand Cherokee, V6 and the MPG is (&$#%^)& to say the least, about 12 MPG around city and 14-15 on the Big Road. The pimple faced, non-English speaking, pot smelling individual at the Jeep garage told me "that I would just have to live with it"...... The Shop Mgr's reply was "gray" and really did NOT address the question. I left in disgust and decided that I would ask the EXPERTS, and thats why I am asking the question. Help me, PLEASE !!!!!

razu13612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 06:01 AM   #2
greta
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by razu13612
This is probably a dumb question, but .......Can any sensors and/or chips be changed to improve MPG????? I have a 2005 Grand Cherokee, V6 and the MPG is (&$#%^)& to say the least, about 12 MPG around city and 14-15 on the Big Road. The pimple faced, non-English speaking, pot smelling individual at the Jeep garage told me "that I would just have to live with it"...... The Shop Mgr's reply was "gray" and really did NOT address the question. I left in disgust and decided that I would ask the EXPERTS, and thats why I am asking the question. Help me, PLEASE !!!!!
Your mpg quoted is not normal... You should start with all the usual suspects (change your plugs/make sure they are gapped correctly, clean your tb, run some MMO through gas, buy gas not enriched with ethanol if available in your state, o2 sensors, fuel filter, and the most important of all - driving habits.... Be easy on the skinny pedal). I drive the v8 hemi which in theory should be much worse on gas and I get 15+ city and 20+ hwy...
2004 WJ GC (current)
2006 WK GC (current) 5.7L HEMI Limited QDII
greta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 06:37 AM   #3
mattydipps
2006 WK 

if your in alot of stop and go traffic then 12 is very possible ... im managing around 12-13 in my 6cyl and i drive with alot of stop and go ... on the highway ill top out around 18 .... if you have money to waste .. do invest in a hypertech tuner theyll increase mpgs +/- 3ish across the board after, of course, the regular described above ^^

also do remember its winter here in ny and we are not buying the best gas at this time .. winter gas ALWAYS draws less mpgs then spring or summer gas i wouldnt be suprised if you toucheg 14 in the summer city just with the change alone
Unread 02-19-2012, 06:59 AM   #4
tom58

and replace your air filter element
tom58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
matlohemi
2006 WK 

What your milleage ?

Stock thread tire ?

- At 60k, you should change your EGR and your PCV .

I bought the Diablosport predator tuner and i put the 87 tune on it.

I increase my mpg maybe about 1.5 just with the tuner.
Unread 02-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

What all above have said is true. Also remember you're dragging around ~4700 lbs. with an unpowered motor. It's going to take more throttle to get it going, but once moving (such as highway driving) it should do better than what you're getting. In town you may not be that far off, depending on how many times you have to get that mass moving from a stop. If you have a lift, larger tires, racks, off road lights, etc. you'll probably get worse mileage on the highway due to the additional drag created. These things aren't very aerodynamic anyway (Stock drag coefficient ~.41), and any chassis add-ons can make the mileage tank, especially with the smaller motor.

As far as tuners go, none of the "big" name (Superchips or Diablosport) tuner makers have any for your motor. I understand there are a couple tuners out there, but they all seem to get mixed reviews, so you'd have to do a little more research and talk to the folks that use them. Heck, some people don't like the SC or DS tuners for the V-8's either.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
WKFusion
2006 WK 

Fill those tires up to 34-35 i gained around 4mpg highway from doing this haha (check recommended as always)

Fixed...sorry should read what I type sometimes
Unread 02-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #8
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

34-3?
255/75R17 BFG KM1's
17" ion alloy rims
15" kicker solo baric L7 w/ Alpine m1000 amp
aftermarket headlights w/5000k HIDs
Red interior LEDs and Red license plate LED
Tinted tails
5% tint over the rear windows
more to come....
TurboDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #9
w1pf
Who, me?

2007 WK 

wow, I have to run 80-85MPH on the highway to get my 07 5.7L WK down to those mileage numbers..
Red WK #19, Hemi #68.. I think..
Durango Owners Club DOTY 2011
-------
"Must have been that yesterday was the day that I was born"
w1pf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
greta
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1pf
wow, I have to run 80-85MPH on the highway to get my 07 5.7L WK down to those mileage numbers..
I know... I really don't understand how he could be getting that bad of mpg... What's even more confusing is that others seem to think that those numbers are reasonably close (I have to take their word for it cause they would no better about that particular motor than I)... I have to think that it is driving habits... A lot of my driving during the week is stop and go and I am still avg right at 15... Then on the interstate or hwy doing speed limit it is over 20... Winter gas and all...
2004 WJ GC (current)
2006 WK GC (current) 5.7L HEMI Limited QDII
greta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #11
CmmdrDan

I had the same numbers. Just tuned it with the hypertech tuner. Brought my city mileage up by about 1.5mpg and my highway is up to 17mpg. I have a few o2 sensors to change and am thinking about a tab and intake in the future. Then all I want is an exhaust and new front struts.
CmmdrDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 02:39 PM   #12
nitecop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by razu13612 View Post
......How to IMPROVE MPG ????? ...... Help me, PLEASE !!!!!
Slow down. When your sitting at a traffic light and it turn green Don't be the first car to next light.
On the highways Drive the speed limit.
I does make a difference.
Project f-Xj F150/XJ Ford eXtreme jeep combo
06 6 Speed LJ my daily driver.
Colorado Jeep club memeber #505
nitecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #13
meep
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitecop

Slow down. When your sitting at a traffic light and it turn green Don't be the first car to next light.
On the highways Drive the speed limit.
I does make a difference.
^^^this^^^
meep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 11:43 PM   #14
Blueflame1979
2005 WK 

And If all else fails, just stop thinking about it. I know I did, getting as low as 6.8 mpgs in the wintertime stop and go traffic. Remember also like mentioned before, Winter gas sucks, if you have the heater on, heated seats, other accessories, all of this takes juice. Ur gonna get less mileage also by warming up ur vehicle, which is debatable whether you should warm it up or just get going when the temperatures drop. Also if you drive alot of short trips like me, ur mpgs are gonna suck because your vehicle hasn't fully warmed up and capable of performing at it's best and most efficient. It took me a whole year to notice that our vehicles are highway vehicles, being that our Jeeps weigh in close to 2 1/2 tons it takes some power to get it moving but once it's moving light throttle keeps it going. Oh yeah try to.keep ur Rpms below 2000, that helps somewhat. Personally I have done what I could, but in the end I've learned to live with it and you dont have to settle for that of course but remember you bought a Jeep not a prius, so mpgs are going to be less than a lot of other vehicles.
Unread 02-19-2012, 11:54 PM   #15
t3kmitch
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame1979 View Post
And If all else fails, just stop thinking about it. I know I did, getting as low as 6.8 mpgs in the wintertime stop and go traffic. Remember also like mentioned before, Winter gas sucks, if you have the heater on, heated seats, other accessories, all of this takes juice. Ur gonna get less mileage also by warming up ur vehicle, which is debatable whether you should warm it up or just get going when the temperatures drop. Also if you drive alot of short trips like me, ur mpgs are gonna suck because your vehicle hasn't fully warmed up and capable of performing at it's best and most efficient. It took me a whole year to notice that our vehicles are highway vehicles, being that our Jeeps weigh in close to 2 1/2 tons it takes some power to get it moving but once it's moving light throttle keeps it going. Personally I have done what I could, but in the end I've learned to live with it and you dont have to settle for that of course but remember you bought a Jeep not a prius, so mpgs are going to be less than a lot of other vehicles.
I'll second the warming up part. I have a 1/2 mile commute to work, it kills the mpgs. (Yes I know I should probably just walk or bike, I do on occasion). I saw a study somewhere that it is best to just start driving right away, but you consume much more gas when the engine's cold. Don't remember exactly how much more but it was surprising.
Blue WK Club Member #32
t3kmitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.