How are the Goodyear HP's in snow? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > How are the Goodyear HP's in snow?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-03-2007, 06:41 PM   #1
gsxr150

How are the Goodyear HP's in snow?

Some of you know I just got my 2006 Jeep... I was looking at the tires, and they don't look very "grippy" in the snow. Any reviews for me?

gsxr150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2007, 07:49 PM   #2
Scottina06
2006 WK 

www.tirerack.com they have reviews/ratings for every tire they sell
Scottina06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2007, 08:46 PM   #3
gsxr150

Yeah, looking for Cherokee specific reviews from fellow board members.
Unread 11-03-2007, 11:27 PM   #4
jeepgaffer
2006 WK 

Well, I still have my stock HPs...and after last winter here in Chicago (my first with my WK), I plan on replacing them before winter this year. The tires are find on dry, and even wet pavement, but in the mud and snow they suck! The tires have very little bite in the thick stuff and the treads get easily packed. I never felt like my life was in danger in the snow, but I was dedinately aware that the tires weren't 100%. There were a few snows where I got a little snowed in while parallel parked and I almost couldn't make it out, because the tires would lose almost all their grip! I think these tires are fine for people who don't offroad and don't live in a climate where it snows heavily or frequently...otherwise forget about them!

I'm looking at getting either the Toyo Open Country A/Ts, Firestone Destination A/Ts, or Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors (in 245/65-17 size) before the big winter snows really hit...I'll have my dealer reset the computer to the alternate tire size.
Unread 11-04-2007, 06:45 AM   #5
Weissbrewer

snows

Putting Studded Hakapalitas on mine, Should be able to climb Mt Washington w the QD2 elockers !
Weissbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2007, 03:12 PM   #6
gsxr150

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgaffer
Well, I still have my stock HPs...and after last winter here in Chicago (my first with my WK), I plan on replacing them before winter this year. The tires are find on dry, and even wet pavement, but in the mud and snow they suck! The tires have very little bite in the thick stuff and the treads get easily packed. I never felt like my life was in danger in the snow, but I was dedinately aware that the tires weren't 100%. There were a few snows where I got a little snowed in while parallel parked and I almost couldn't make it out, because the tires would lose almost all their grip! I think these tires are fine for people who don't offroad and don't live in a climate where it snows heavily or frequently...otherwise forget about them!

I'm looking at getting either the Toyo Open Country A/Ts, Firestone Destination A/Ts, or Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors (in 245/65-17 size) before the big winter snows really hit...I'll have my dealer reset the computer to the alternate tire size.

Would you have to reset the computer for a wider tire? I don't think you would have to?
Unread 11-04-2007, 03:33 PM   #7
jeepgaffer
2006 WK 

Yeah, because it is about .5" taller, so the speed/odometer would be off slightly. It is the alternate size from the factory. From what I understand, the dealer can reset the tire sizes, but only to stock Jeep/Chrysler sizes....
Unread 11-04-2007, 05:45 PM   #8
gsxr150

Ahh...gotcha.
Unread 11-05-2007, 05:29 AM   #9
garsarno

Had them as OEM on our '99 Grand Cherokee / no problem with the snow
garsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2007, 06:48 AM   #10
indianrefining

OEM on my '07 Liberty Limited. Absolutely no problems with them.
indianrefining is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2007, 05:07 PM   #11
jprow74

they are horrible! I just swapped mine out after last season it was disgraceful. have GYWrangler Silent Armors - very aggressive ,but should be great for wet/snow
jprow74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2007, 08:00 AM   #12
2007GC Overland
2007 WK 

Hi Folks
I am not sure how this link works but here is the comparison of all tire - Goodyear is the best.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...peed_rating=(Y)
2007GC Overland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2007, 07:52 PM   #13
CurtP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr150
Some of you know I just got my 2006 Jeep... I was looking at the tires, and they don't look very "grippy" in the snow. Any reviews for me?
I hated mine and wanted an AT. I've been very happy with my Goodyear Silent Armors. Are you looking at sticking with a highway all-season or going to an all-terrain?
CurtP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2007, 05:19 AM   #14
CDN WK

No problems here and I live in the snow belt!!
CDN WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2007, 06:05 AM   #15
mrfWKJeep
2006 WK 

I had them on last winter, traction was ok...I think it's a matter of what you expect out of a tire. I put on a set of Dueler ATA revo's and it's a night and day difference this year. Only had a little snow this year but major difference in traction.
mrfWKJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.