How to fix a leaky head gasket and blower switch!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > How to fix a leaky head gasket and blower switch!!

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinGear Installs at CCOR SpecialSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 07-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
B_Baity10

How to fix a leaky head gasket and blower switch!!

Any ideas on how much it will be to fix a leaky head gasket and blower switch on an 05 WK?!

B_Baity10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Baity10
Any ideas on how much it will be to fix a leaky head gasket and blower switch on an 05 WK?!
Are you positive it's a leaky head gasket? If so it's easily $1,000 plus to fix depending who you take it to. What are the signs of it leaking?
Unread 07-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
B_Baity10

The guy said it's not starting duh to a lot of air going threw the leaky gasket
Unread 07-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
Shafer57
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Baity10 View Post
The guy said it's not starting duh to a lot of air going threw the leaky gasket
More details? Did it just not start one day, or did it gradually get worse?

So it just cranks and cranks away but no go?
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Shafer57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #5
B_Baity10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafer57

It's one I'm looking at buying here's the link!

http://savannah.craigslist.org/cto/3918392539.html
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
B_Baity10

Quote:

The only thing the guy said was is it is not in running condition duh to the leaky head gasket because too much air is going through it
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
B_Baity10

Quote:

He said and I quote, " it's not starting because it's hacking so much air thru the leaky gasket, it also needs a new blower switch. The blower only works on high."
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #8
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Did the guy check for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)? If any, what are they? That story about "it's hacking so much air thru the leaky gasket" sounds like BS to me. If this is indeed happening (which I doubt), a simple compression and/or cylinder leakdown test will easily detect it. Has this been done? I doubt it. I don't think I've every heard of, or read (on all the Jeep forums) of anyone having a head gasket problem, except when someone had previously tampered with the engine. Is there coolant in the oil, or oil in the cooling system? There is a multitude of things that will keep the engine from starting, and a head gasket problem is probably the biggest "stretch" of all. The engine has either 4-5 more cylinders that should fire....or at least try to, assuming it is blown and how it is blown....into one cylinder or between two cylinders. Did the guy check for fuel....fuel pump operation and/or pressure test? How about the fuses/relays for the fuel system? Did he check for ignition (spark at the plug(s)? These are the easy (and first) things that should be checked. Good luck on this one. If that's all the better this guy can do, I'd think about taking it somewhere else for a good check.

The same goes for the blower switch. Any DTC's? If so, what are they? The HVAC systems on these is very different from a few years ago, and are quite complex. This could also be any number of things, with the switch being only one of them. Has it been checked in both "Auto" and "Manual" modes? Is it the same in both? Has the appropriate fuse(s) in the Forward Control Module (FCM) been checked? I doubt it.

Edit: I just looked at the link. If you're not savvy on these things, you definitely need to have it looked at by a knowledgeable (with Chrysler products) mechanic. Everything should be checked closely. The mileage is not that high so as to have a major engine problem. First look for evidence of tampering and/or "Mickey Mouse" fixes/repairs on any system in the vehicle. Should be easy to tell. Again, good luck.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #9
Shafer57
2006 WK 

Run a carfax regardless, mainly to see how many previous owners, because if there's 6 you might have issues. I agree with 90 above, sounds like the guys trying to use common terms like (head gasket) to make you think it'll be a simple mechanic fix (Not the case).

If you're hell bent on this thing, i'd get it towed to a mechanic and get a second opinion. Because spending $200 on tow and diagnostics is better than a $6,000 lawn ornament.
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Unread 07-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #10
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Right on, Shafer57!!
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 11:21 PM   #11
Shafer57
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer View Post
Right on, Shafer57!!
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Unread 07-11-2013, 12:32 AM   #12
TangoTango
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Baity10 View Post
It's one I'm looking at buying here's the link!

http://savannah.craigslist.org/cto/3918392539.html

Reading THAT .. the problem has been going for ALONG time and someone was just guessing at the problem... in the mean while the coolant sprayed all though the engine.

FOr a very long time.

Bearings need OIL not coolant.

Plus ... someone not too bright was working on it.

If you get it for some super cheep price and plan on rebuilding the engine.. then you're ok ... if you are looking for something that needs little work, that is not the jeep for you.
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #13
Shafer57
2006 WK 

Skip this rig, wait for the next one. They're not too hard to find
2008 335i Twin-Turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.