I went ahead and fixed the problem but didn't take any pictures. I decided to pull it back down and take some shots and when I did my bodge job jerry-rig fix popped out and disappeared somewhere in the Jeep. So, I had to bodge up another fix...
(Sorry for the cheap phone pictures)
As you can see below, the plastic "loop" that holds the plastic rod had snapped off.
The trick here is finding something to wedge in there to keep the rod in place, yet allow it to rotate freely with little interference. Initially I used a plastic cable clip that fit the dimensions perfectly. (Found in my toolbox) It worked just fine till removing the console and escaping somewhere.
My second attempt:
(A chip bag clip found in the kitchen)
You've got to trim it so the console with slide back into the hole with no interference and be careful to not push the plastic bodge piece too far into the gap as that will cause it to strike the door on it's sweep down and keep it from opening fully.
It's not pretty, elegant or even remotely appropriate but it works for some stupid reason.