How do you remove the overhead console? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > How do you remove the overhead console?

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-14-2010, 05:24 PM   #1
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

How do you remove the overhead console?

I let a good friend borrow the Jeep for a weekend and it came back with a broken sunglass holder. I suspect his little kid got curious. Anyway, not a big deal but I can't use it and it sits ajar and I can't get it working again. I can't seem to be able to find a way of removing the console from the headliner and I can't figure out why the holder isn't shutting properly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Unread 10-15-2010, 03:29 PM   #2
JohnDeerCJ
2008 WK 

Search is your friend.... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/h...onsole-436212/

just pull and wiggle. no screws
Unread 10-30-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
epalmer431
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Just curious what did it take to fix the door???? My wife's jeep did the same in fact your pic could be my wife's jeep. Wondering your kid took a ride in our jeep?????
Unread 11-01-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

I went ahead and fixed the problem but didn't take any pictures. I decided to pull it back down and take some shots and when I did my bodge job jerry-rig fix popped out and disappeared somewhere in the Jeep. So, I had to bodge up another fix...

(Sorry for the cheap phone pictures)

As you can see below, the plastic "loop" that holds the plastic rod had snapped off.

The trick here is finding something to wedge in there to keep the rod in place, yet allow it to rotate freely with little interference. Initially I used a plastic cable clip that fit the dimensions perfectly. (Found in my toolbox) It worked just fine till removing the console and escaping somewhere.

My second attempt:

(A chip bag clip found in the kitchen)

You've got to trim it so the console with slide back into the hole with no interference and be careful to not push the plastic bodge piece too far into the gap as that will cause it to strike the door on it's sweep down and keep it from opening fully.

It's not pretty, elegant or even remotely appropriate but it works for some stupid reason.
Unread 11-02-2010, 06:34 PM   #5
epalmer431
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for info. It helps alot just sorry you had to fix it again after taking the pics. Another thing added to my weekend honey dew list....:~)
Unread 11-02-2010, 07:02 PM   #6
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by epalmer431 View Post
Thanks for info. It helps alot just sorry you had to fix it again after taking the pics. Another thing added to my weekend honey dew list....:~)
No worries. It took about 10 minutes to do the second time and I really should have taken photos previously.
Unread 09-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
LouC
2007 WK 

Just fixed this myself, your post helped! I found that the end of a zip tie for wiring jobs fit perfect in there. I used some plastic epoxy to hold it in well and put a bit of grease on those metal clips so if I ever have to remove the console again I don't feel like I'm gonna break something LOL.....
wk-glasses-holder-repair.jpg

Unread 02-18-2014, 12:00 PM   #8
justlvnthedream

Can't Get the Spring back in place

Hey guys, I'm having similar problems. The plastic rod that holds the right side in broke. I've already taken off the console and was able to glue it back on, but my problem is with how the spring goes back on. Both ends of the spring don't face the same perpendicular way, one faces in. Also, where does the little black piece of swingable plastic come into play that's also on the inside near the spring location?
Can one of you put up a picture of what the inside (where the glasses go) is supposed to look like, completely assembled. I've been looking online for a while to no avail, only pictures of the exterior of the console. Thanks in advance for your help!
justlvnthedream is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.