How Do You Feel About a Chinese Jeep - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 08-22-2017, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
JackB1
2008 WK 

How Do You Feel About a Chinese Jeep

On the Finance channel today there was talk about Chinese auto maker Great Wall buying the Jeep brand. Should the All American icon go this route I think it would be a sad day. Jeep has been sold before but this would truly be a watershed event.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-22-2017, 06:14 PM
bensylrm
2005 WK 

I would be very surprised if fiat sold off their highest profit brand. I don't see it happening. But, answering the hypothetical question, I'd never buy one, and would talk crap to anyone who did.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

05 WK 4.7 OME HD F150 MLL's, BFG MT 255/75-17. Lots of stickers, lights EVERYWHERE!
post #3 of 18 Old 08-22-2017, 06:48 PM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensylrm View Post
I'd never buy one, and would talk crap to anyone who did.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
X2

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, TruFlow Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, Transgo Shift Kit, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.

post #4 of 18 Old 08-22-2017, 07:23 PM
CavallinoRed
2006 WK 

China is now the world's leading car manufacturer with purchase of Volvo. If they ended up buying Ferrari ($$s know no boarders) and they were still made in Maranello it would not turn me off the brand.

But the good news is Great Wall Motor Co. was considering the acquisition of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles’ Jeep brand but signaling there are “big uncertainties” as to whether it will move forward. Still Sad.
underscore likes this.
post #5 of 18 Old 08-23-2017, 05:35 AM
LouC
2007 WK 

I believe the U.S. govt should step in (as they should have during the "merger of equals" that nearly destroyed Chrysler, lies to the share holders from Daimler Benz management)
and bring Jeep ownership back to a U.S. based firm. Ford or GM to me would be greatly preferred to any Chinese company. Before the howling begins just imagine what would the Japanese govt would do if Honda was up for sale; or what would the Germans do if Porsche were up for sale ?

Hint: NOT what the Brits did allowing all their car companies to become foreign owned!

2017 JK Unlimited Sport 6 spd
2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac
post #6 of 18 Old 08-23-2017, 07:01 AM
burnz34
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I don't believe that Chrysler would make it without Jeep. If they were separated we may see Chrysler just get absorbed into Fiat.
It would be sad to see us losing Chrysler and also to see the American icon Jeep moving overseas.
Personally, I would not completely write off the Jeep brand. I would be more hesitant though.

2010 XK 3.7L Sport

Burns
--->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1999 TJ Wrangler 2.5L - 2.5" BB, 33x12.5, Cragar V-5's w/3.75 BS, Skyjacker Hydro 7000s
1993 ZJ Laredo 4.0 I6 - Pirrelli Scorpion A/T, Desert Rat brush guard, big ol class 3 hitch to haul the boat, and lots of rust.
post #7 of 18 Old 08-23-2017, 07:15 AM
JeepersMister
2006 WK 

I can't imagine they'd just sell Jeep. To me that feels like if GM were to sell off Chevrolet. There would be no good reason for it, because that means certain death in the long run. I think more likely is a Chinese brand buying the whole package, Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep. (I refuse to count Ram as it's own make)

-2006 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi
post #8 of 18 Old 08-23-2017, 08:55 AM
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

That got me thinking. It really would not bother me at all because I'd never buy a new Jeep. I would not have a WK right now if the wife didn't buy a rwd Cadillac, that is useless for winter around here.
Way to much technology in the new one's and no sfa. I really like the srt8 wks but not the wk2 although the interior is very nice in the wk2.
The ZJs I'm interested in have all been built in the US so it doesn't bother me.
badgerwithhands likes this.
post #9 of 18 Old 08-23-2017, 09:22 AM
underscore
2007 WK 

I don't really care who owns things so long as they're financially stable. Nothing ruins a car faster than severe cost-cutting measures. Beyond that I'm still far more interested in who designed it and who is in charge of quality control than who owns it or where it's being built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
I believe the U.S. govt should step in (as they should have during the "merger of equals" that nearly destroyed Chrysler, lies to the share holders from Daimler Benz management)
and bring Jeep ownership back to a U.S. based firm. Ford or GM to me would be greatly preferred to any Chinese company. Before the howling begins just imagine what would the Japanese govt would do if Honda was up for sale; or what would the Germans do if Porsche were up for sale ?

Hint: NOT what the Brits did allowing all their car companies to become foreign owned!
How will the US gov't do anything, it's already owned by the Italians.

2007 WK CRD QDII OME MD OMG WTF BBQ
post #10 of 18 Old 08-23-2017, 04:16 PM
Brit30-06
2008 WK 

Ford sold both Jaguar Land Rover and Volvo to the Indians and Chinese respectively. Both companies have gone from strength to strength.

Many more British workers employed in British Factories now making Land Rovers and Jaguars now than before the sale. I do not suppose those lads are too concerned who pays their wages as long as they can support their families.

We cant look at these things with Rose coloured spectacles anymore. The World is a much smaller place and we will have to adapt.
post #11 of 18 Old 08-23-2017, 05:17 PM
Labswine
2008 WK 

Well then, I hope my '08 Overland lasts a LONG time!!! I can imagine another GC or two in my life time, but if they are vaginese owned, well...then I may have to change alliances...Sad, our economy and the well being of the employees who work here are at the whimsy of the highest bidder rather than what is best for them and our country.

95 XJ, 4.0 93 ZJ, 4.0 96 ZJ, 4.0 03 WJ, 4.7 02 WJ and now an 08 Overland. I guess I like GCs!!!
post #12 of 18 Old 08-23-2017, 06:16 PM
LouC
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I don't really care who owns things so long as they're financially stable. Nothing ruins a car faster than severe cost-cutting measures. Beyond that I'm still far more interested in who designed it and who is in charge of quality control than who owns it or where it's being built.

How will the US gov't do anything, it's already owned by the Italians.
Offer an incentive to either Ford or GM to present an offer to FCA. In my experience both the Germans and the Japanese will go to great lengths to keep their iconic companies owned by them. We could use more of the same.
bensylrm likes this.

2017 JK Unlimited Sport 6 spd
2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac
post #13 of 18 Old 08-23-2017, 10:19 PM
badgerwithhands
2007 WK 

Garage
Not to mention the economic downsides for the country as a whole. China has been buying quite a bit of American companies and materials.

07 WK Overland CRD, cargo LEDs, OME HD, MOPAR skids, rack,
future mods: tires, lights, CB, skids,
post #14 of 18 Old 08-24-2017, 12:22 AM
underscore
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
Offer an incentive to either Ford or GM to present an offer to FCA. In my experience both the Germans and the Japanese will go to great lengths to keep their iconic companies owned by them. We could use more of the same.
Haven't Ford and GM received enough government money in recent years?

2007 WK CRD QDII OME MD OMG WTF BBQ
post #15 of 18 Old 08-24-2017, 09:49 AM
Brit30-06
2008 WK 

Ford and GM are offloading Companies because they can't make them work. Others are buying them, putting proper investment in and then reaping the rewards. GM have just sold their European makers Vauxhall and Opel to Peugeot.
A successful Jeep owned by the Chinese but Manufacturing in America is surely better than the present Italian owners? Jeep needs investment. The Grand Cherokee WK2 is seven years old! The Chinese will spend the Money needed, Just look at Jaguar Land Rover and what the Indians did.

Brit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.