How do y'all carry extra fuel? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > How do y'all carry extra fuel?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 11-17-2013, 07:34 AM   #1
0321Nick
2006 WK 

How do y'all carry extra fuel?

No real external options when you don't have a rooftop cargo basket - So, how do y'all carry extra fuel?

I will probably just go with this: http://www.amazon.com/No-Spill-1405-...d_sim_sbs_lg_1

KHAKI CLUB #65
2006 WK 4.7L V8 - Modified OME HD with Bilstein 5125s (28" length); JBA UCA; JKS Rear Discos; K&N CAI; PowerStop Discs; HyperTech; TOYO Open Country AT IIs 285/70/17; + some other goodies
0321Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #2
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

I have no reason to carry extra fuel most of the time but I have seen many people use Jerry cans for the extra fuel
Unread 11-17-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
rubiconkid4x4

2007 WK 

http://rotopax.com
Unread 11-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
Red_liner740

Internal or external? I've been kicking this idea around and trying to find a solution.

I think for occasional carry when offroading, a hitch mounted addon would be the best.

Something like this

or

If carrying internally is fine with you, then possibly altering the rear cargo area with a higher floor and using the rotopax lying flat.

Also, CRD's have this massive empty hole behind driver side rear bumper. Do gasoline versions have it too or does the gas purge and vent thingy sit there? Its quite a volume. Possibly a storage system can be placed there.
Red_liner740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
ca07wk
Crawl-Offroad.com
2007 WK 

I carry a Jerry can in the rear when wheeling.

img_20131117_121745.jpg
ca07wk is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
0321Nick
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca07wk
I carry a Jerry can in the rear when wheeling.
That's what I'm leaning towards.
KHAKI CLUB #65
2006 WK 4.7L V8 - Modified OME HD with Bilstein 5125s (28" length); JBA UCA; JKS Rear Discos; K&N CAI; PowerStop Discs; HyperTech; TOYO Open Country AT IIs 285/70/17; + some other goodies
Unread 11-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
Chirpz

2007 WK 

I don't often carry...fuel that it. But when I do, I use a plain Jane yellow plastic fuel jug and carry it in the back of the WK. I tie it to the little tie hook that is under the window to keep it from sliding around or tipping. It saved my bacon once.

On another subject.... I hate those fancy, over engineered, mostly useless filler caps that you see on a lot of new plastic jugs. Some are so difficult to use that you feeling like just throwing them away. What ever happened to a simple cap and spout?
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #8
0321Nick
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirpz View Post
On another subject.... I hate those fancy, over engineered, mostly useless filler caps that you see on a lot of new plastic jugs. Some are so difficult to use that you feeling like just throwing them away. What ever happened to a simple cap and spout?
The No-Spill model supposedly works with the push of a button (like a syrup bottle at IHOP). But yeah, got a full weekend 4x4 camping trip coming up, and it would be nice to have 2-3 gallons extra available.
KHAKI CLUB #65
Unread 11-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #9
Red_liner740

What happened? EPA got involved and cluster****ed the whole thing.

To save the environment they introduced a system so convoluted that more fuel has been spilled because of it than before.

Just like anything else the government gets their hands on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirpz View Post
I don't often carry...fuel that it. But when I do, I use a plain Jane yellow plastic fuel jug and carry it in the back of the WK. I tie it to the little tie hook that is under the window to keep it from sliding around or tipping. It saved my bacon once.

Red_liner740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #10
kens97sto171

Those new EPA no spill jugs are a pain when you are trying to pour.
The purpose of it is to prevent the vapours venting to the atmosphere. Gotta stop that global warming... ya know.

I will say though that they are very good at sealing up. I had a bad gas gauge in my last car and always carried a 5 gallon can with me. In the cargo area.
Even in the heat of summer. I never had even a whiff of gas smell in the car.

If you figure out how to use them. They do pour OK. Just slow.
kens97sto171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #11
ca07wk
Crawl-Offroad.com
2007 WK 

I use the marble fed siphon hose. Don't know the exact name but it work s great, don't even have to take the jerry can out.
ca07wk is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #12
yzjwk
2005 WK 

i call them jigger syphons , but i think the correct term is self priming syphon .
Work great , Much easier and faster then trying to pour out of jerry can . Also great for filling the boat from a jerry can while it's in the water . never spill a drop.
http://www.harborfreight.com/self-pr...ump-47334.html
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.