How do I know if I need a transmission flush or coolant flush? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > How do I know if I need a transmission flush or coolant flush?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 06-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
snowdude1026
2008 WK 

How do I know if I need a transmission flush or coolant flush?

I have a 2008 WK, 3.7L laredo, at 80,000 miles, lifted (if it matters).

I always replace the oil with synthetic every 3k miles.

However, I cant for the life of me remember when I did a transmission or coolant flush, or any other type of needed flush. I know it was in 2010 before I left for South Korea, or could have been when I got back. Either way, I dont remember the miles.

Could it hurt if I just went ahead and did all the needed flushes? Or is there a way to check and see if any are needed.

Thanks

snowdude1026 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
ryann04
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdude1026 View Post

However, I cant for the life of me remember when I did a transmission or coolant flush, or any other type of needed flush. I know it was in 2010 before I left for South Korea, or could have been when I got back. Either way, I dont remember the miles.

Could it hurt if I just went ahead and did all the needed flushes? Or is there a way to check and see if any are needed.

Thanks
No it wouldn't hurt if you went ahead and did all the needed flushes.
Blue WK Club Member #42 // DIESEL FTW !!!! -Ryan
ryann04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
GhostRider08
2008 WK 

DO NOT DO A TRANSMISSION FLUSH! This is not recommended! You can however have the transmission fluid drained and replaced, as well as the transmission filter.
GhostRider08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 09:59 PM   #4
snowdude1026
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRider08 View Post
DO NOT DO A TRANSMISSION FLUSH! This is not recommended! You can however have the transmission fluid drained and replaced, as well as the transmission filter.

Isnt that...a flush?
snowdude1026 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 10:02 PM   #5
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Isnt that...a flush?
No - it is a drain and refill with new filters.

A flush is a completely different process and as mentioned above: not recommended by the manufacturer.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 11:33 PM   #6
WieSeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRider08 View Post
A full flush isn't going to hurt anything and the dealer does it all the time. When it's not recommended is with high miles and original fluid
WieSeL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 11:47 PM   #7
suzieque
2008 WK 

I am going to flush the hoat coolant from mopar. The cost container says "5 years" no mention of mileage on the mopar container.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 11:55 PM   #8
WieSeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieque View Post
I am going to flush the hoat coolant from mopar. The cost container says "5 years" no mention of mileage on the mopar container.
Id say 100k is probably about standard
Unread 06-28-2013, 06:04 AM   #9
Budasac
2005 WK 

According to Chrysler the transmission should NEVER be flushed unless the fluid was somehow contaminated regardless of what the dealer says. Drain and fill and replace the filters. Sadly dealerships don't know **** about the vehicles they sell. I don't trust them to touch my Jeep. (I get free lifetime oil changes and don't even take it to them for that.)

Coolant flush should be fine.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 08:08 AM   #10
JeepCares

Quote:

Thanks
Chrysler Group vehicle fluid systems do NOT require regular flushing. These systems
include: engine oil, transmission oil, axle lube, brake fluid, power steering fluid, and
refrigerant. The only exception to this requirement are published in the vehicle
maintenance schedules, e.g. engine coolant.
Exceptions to this recommendation include only those instances where a failure has
occurred and/or the system has become compromised, contaminated or overheated
beyond the normal operating range.
Chrysler Group does NOT recommend aftermarket chemicals to flush the engine,
transmission, brake or steering systems. Chemicals contained in these products can
damage the system elastomeric components, and contaminate the component fluid,
leading to loss of system/component durability and service life. When necessary, only the
original approved system fluid should be used to flush these components using teamPSE®
approved equipment.
If the engine coolant contains a considerable amount of sediment, clean and flush with
Mopar Cooling System Flush, p/n 04856977, or equivalent. Follow with a thorough rinsing
to remove all deposits and chemicals. Refill with a minimum of a 50% mixture of the
specified coolant and distilled water.
Unread 06-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #11
colinzj
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
Sadly dealerships don't know **** about the vehicles they sell.
They usually know about the vehicles they sell. They're just more motivated by the several-thousand-dollar flush machine BG provides them for free if they sell BG transmission flushes.
Unread 06-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #12
WieSeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinzj View Post

They usually know about the vehicles they sell. They're just more motivated by the several-thousand-dollar flush machine BG provides them for free if they sell BG transmission flushes.
You actually have to lease those machines and usually factory fluid is used and not a BG product. Flushes don't hurt transmissions if done regularly and not after 150k on original fluid
Unread 06-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #13
ehron
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WieSeL View Post
You actually have to lease those machines and usually factory fluid is used and not a BG product. Flushes don't hurt transmissions if done regularly and not after 150k on original fluid
Regardless, I wouldn't flush my transmission. I'd read about it a bit, and decide for yourself. Some say it's fine, others say it will destroy your transmission. One things for sure; it's a money maker for those interested in providing maintenance services. I'm always wary of services being offered that are lucrative for the entity providing the service (like throttle body cleaning, and other expensive processes that don't seem to require an effort commensurate with the cost).

Cost vs benefit analysis in my view results me in dropping the pan, changing the filters, and refilling with fluid. If you want to get all the fluid out of the torque converter pop off a trans cooler line and start the engine while adding enough fluid to make up for the fluid that's being pumped out by the transmission. There are numerous videos on youtube demonstrating that process.
ehron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #14
WieSeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehron View Post

Regardless, I wouldn't flush my transmission. I'd read about it a bit, and decide for yourself. Some say it's fine, others say it will destroy your transmission. One things for sure; it's a money maker for those interested in providing maintenance services. I'm always wary of services being offered that are lucrative for the entity providing the service (like throttle body cleaning, and other expensive processes that don't seem to require an effort commensurate with the cost).

Cost vs benefit analysis in my view results me in dropping the pan, changing the filters, and refilling with fluid. If you want to get all the fluid out of the torque converter pop off a trans cooler line and start the engine while adding enough fluid to make up for the fluid that's being pumped out by the transmission. There are numerous videos on youtube demonstrating that process.
Some cars will actually have driveability issues with a coked throttle body so it's not always hype. And I don't think it's possible to add enough fluid through the dipstick tube to compensate for the fluid that will be pumped out of a cooler line. It will dump 5 quarts in a matter of about 1 minute. That seems much more detrimental than a simple flush. But like you said to each his own and there are different theories on the topic. Never heard anyone having issues with standard maintenance flushes in the years I've worked in a shop but every one.seems to think these flushes are voodoo or something. The horror stories you hear are from flushing a high mileage Trans with old fluid, and every one equates that to not doing maintenance on their transmissions. I've replaced more transmissions because of lack of maintenance and never due to a recent flush
Unread 06-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #15
ehron
2003 TJ Wrangler 

A coworker of mine was just telling me his wife was told by the Ford service rep that her 2012 Ford Explorer needed a throttle body cleaning as part of the standard 25k mile service for the low, low price of $325. $325 to unscrew the throttle body, spray some cleaner in it, and wipe it out. I wonder how much that dealer charges for a transmission flush...

I'll agree that the horror stories I've heard of flushes generally came from someone getting the sale price transmission flush at Jiffy Lube. I'm sure a competent technician will take the proper steps to ensure it's done correctly. As Jeepcares pointed out it's not recommended for WKs so perhaps it's a moot point.
ehron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.