How To: Differential pinion mount/bushing replacement - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > How To: Differential pinion mount/bushing replacement

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! ECGS Black Friday Sale!!Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 01-17-2014, 04:20 PM   #31
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I purchased the 3 online. The front bushing looked fine but upon close inspection the rubber was separated from the metal bracket. The upper bushing was totally shot and the passenger side was like new.

Unread 01-18-2014, 12:46 AM   #32
tomynoks

$59 here: http://www.znwoffroad.com/ I can't remember the part number though... got the othe other 2 at Quadratec for $20 ea...
tomynoks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2014, 12:52 AM   #33
tomynoks

Exact link: http://www.shopjeepparts.com/front-a...r-p-15205.html Part# 52114354AA
tomynoks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2014, 11:22 PM   #34
kbarwall
1985 CJ7 

so just as a "helper hint" I used my saws-all and cut out the rubber of the two bushings mounted on the axle, then used the sawsall again to cut through the metal of the bushing sleeve in two locations opposite of each other, be careful not to get into the metal of the axle housing, the saws-all chews through the bushing pretty quickly. After cutting, I used a air hammer and each one of the bushings were out in about two burps of the air hammer. Next i used a ball joint press to reinstall the new bushings. i replaced all three diff bushings in about 2.5 hours using this method, but i had a lift so that helped a TON. That time was start to finish.
kbarwall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2014, 05:49 PM   #35
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernblueWK View Post
I wonder if proactively replacing # 1 would make #2a nd #3 live longer?
I've read of posts were guys filled the unbroken rubber bushings with 3M window weld to prevent the bushing from tearing.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...gl1ZRC9RGN5Fbl

you have to use your fingers, so wear good gloves cuz your fingers will be black when you are done. I plan to do my bushings this summer.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2014, 07:17 PM   #36
Aclow33
2006 WK 

I bought mine off eBay from SteveWhiteMotors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-OEM-520...item3385affb7b

$62.24 for the 2 with free shipping.

And the front one is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-OEM-521...item3385affaa9

For $117.49

My labor was only 2 hours for the 2 diff bushings. ($120 total)
Unread 04-12-2014, 04:48 AM   #37
Sneaky2Toes
2005 WK 

No one mentioned this, but does the front diff need to be drained? Also, how long do the motor mounts last in these things? My 5.7 is at 115,000 miles.
Sneaky2Toes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2014, 06:34 AM   #38
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky2Toes View Post
No one mentioned this, but does the front diff need to be drained? Also, how long do the motor mounts last in these things? My 5.7 is at 115,000 miles.
No need to drain. If you have over 100,000 miles they're more then likely bad. If they are, you should hear a "clunk" when you shift into reverse from park.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2014, 09:58 PM   #39
Sneaky2Toes
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
No need to drain. If you have over 100,000 miles they're more then likely bad. If they are, you should hear a "clunk" when you shift into reverse from park.
I am sure my diff mounts are toast.

How long do the motor mounts last???
Unread 05-28-2014, 05:50 PM   #40
mikek9

I have a slight clunk when shifting out of P, not horrible but after reading up on it I am sure it will only get worse over time (110k miles so its probably time). Is the writeup here the same for a 2wd as a 4wd (I have a 2wd for reference)?

Looks like something I will be adding to the to do list, but something I will have to make sure I set aside a weekend to do just in case I run into issues.
mikek9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2014, 10:10 PM   #41
scootter82
2009 WK 

The local Big O Tire gave me an estimate of $450 in labor, I already had the parts. When I picked it up, he said they should have charged me twice that cause it was a pain in their ***! Lol. My clunk is cured. Wish I had them keep the parts so I could look at them, it was pretty bad before hand.
Unread 05-29-2014, 11:15 AM   #42
ISUzj
2005 WK 

I bought 2 of the bushings for above the diff, the front one was in good shape still, I would buy and replace the other 2 first before even trying the front one, given the costs associated with it. My front one was in good shape, so I haven't bothered.

I do have 1 of the 2 bushings left, If anyone is interested in it.

It was super easy to do this on my driveway on my back. I used the sawsall to get the old one out, but pressing the new one in was a challenge. took me only about 75-90 min to drop it, remove it, press one new bushing then jack it all back up.

Make sure YOU DISCONNECT THE ABS SENSOR on the top of the Diff too before you start this, less chance of breaking the wire.
~~[_---_____---_\-\\\\\\-\
~~~(o) )-o---(o) )-o---) )
94ZJ 5.2 Red; Rusty's 3" Coils,Skyjacker hydro's, Brush Guard, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Roof Rack, KVG Quick Discos, 31-10.50-15's DAYTON TIMBERLINE A/T OBA 2 Gallon tank
Can't buy it? BUILD IT!! Do it cheap too cuz your in college

My Build Thread Align your jeep yourself B N B#175
ISUzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2014, 07:52 PM   #43
Sneaky2Toes
2005 WK 

About to tackle this next week. A little worried since my bolts are rusted pretty good. Broke one putting on a sway bar.

Do you have to remove the drive shaft on both ends or can you just unbolt the side attached to the front diff?
Unread 07-10-2014, 08:50 PM   #44
ChrisWK
2005 WK 

So all the guys who replaced the two side bushings only did that fix the clunking.
Let me know. The side ones look easy to do.

Thanks
Limited HEMI Dark Khaki Pearl SRT8 Full Body Kit, Roof Rails,SRT8 Engine Strut Bar, Lund Rear Spoiler, MYGIG INSTALLED with LOCKPICK, Kenwood Sub,AFE Intake, Taylor Spark Plug Wires,G2 Silver Painted Brake Calipers, Billet Tech Catch Can, Addco Sway Bars Front and Rear, Eibach Lowering Springs,Xenon Volt HID Lows 6k,Chrome SRT Reps
ChrisWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2014, 10:18 AM   #45
ISUzj
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWK View Post
So all the guys who replaced the two side bushings only did that fix the clunking.
Let me know. The side ones look easy to do.

Thanks
Yes, I only replaced the drivers side one actually; and that fixed the noise, and that was the only bad one. It was nice to only spend 60 on (2) bushings and not have to replace the spendy front one.

(edit 7-31) I have a diff bushing for sale, $15 if anyone is interested Link here

Quote:
Do you have to remove the drive shaft on both ends or can you just unbolt the side attached to the front diff?
And yes, removing the driveshaft was helpful, its only the 4 bolts in the front and like 8 or 10 @ the T-case.
~~[_---_____---_\-\\\\\\-\
~~~(o) )-o---(o) )-o---) )
94ZJ 5.2 Red; Rusty's 3" Coils,Skyjacker hydro's, Brush Guard, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Roof Rack, KVG Quick Discos, 31-10.50-15's DAYTON TIMBERLINE A/T OBA 2 Gallon tank
Can't buy it? BUILD IT!! Do it cheap too cuz your in college

My Build Thread Align your jeep yourself B N B#175
ISUzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.