How To: Differential pinion mount/bushing replacement - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > How To: Differential pinion mount/bushing replacement

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadOconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!

Unread 03-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #16
Cgonzalez
2005 WK 

would replacing the bushings also help with a grinding noise?

5.7L Hemi
Cgonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 11:49 PM   #17
marcram
2008 WK 

I had the dealer fix my front clunk a few months ago. About $500. Which of the three is most responsible for the P-R-N-D clunk? I wanted them to inspect the front diff while they were doing the work, but apparently they didn't do that. I have some grinding in the front that I am assuming is in the front diff. Possibly output of transfer case too? Also have some play on the front drive shaft that I'm not sure if it is normal.

https://vimeo.com/68104112
https://vimeo.com/68105105

If I just wanted to drain the front diff gear oil and inspect the gears, would I just need to remove the mount #6 and then remove all of the front #4 bolts? Would I still need to support the front diff or would it not drop out if only that front mount was removed.

My grinding is intermittent (mainly on deceleration and most obvious at very low speeds), but I'm guessing that I could see some wear on the gears if this is the culprit.

Thanks for any input!
marcram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #18
arwood56
2006 WK 

Thanks so much for the amazing write up, you motivated me to do this myself. It took me much longer than you though, about 10 hours total. The top bushing was in two pieces, completely torn. When I finished the "clunk" was gone and the ride even felt smoother.
Tips from my experience:
1. Be sure to have a big torque wrench/breaker bar for the front drive shaft bolts, they used so much loc-tite it would not break free with a 1/2" impact wrench.
2. Crush the "stop lip" inward on the bushing and use that deformed "lip" to push it out the back (the same way the new one will push in). Use an air chisel!!
3. Getting to the top bushing bolt is ridiculous, I used a deep well socket and a universal. That was the only way I could get to it, I used an impact wrench on the other side once the socket was in place.
Totally worth it though my garage wanted $900 to do it.
top-bushing.jpg

bushings-removed-2.jpg

bushings-removed.jpg

Last edited by arwood56; 12-16-2013 at 02:42 PM..
arwood56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 07:18 AM   #19
lawsonr71
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LelandGray View Post
I wish I had known this a little while back.. the dealership charged $1600 for this. Luckily, I didn't have to foot the whole bill because my extended warranty kindly (sarcasm intended) paid for half of it...
Just got a quote from my dealer here in NC for $325. I'm going to take them up on this since I just had shoulder surgery 4 weeks ago and it will be a while before I am under my jeep again.
lawsonr71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #20
WieSeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsonr71 View Post

Just got a quote from my dealer here in NC for $325. I'm going to take them up on this since I just had shoulder surgery 4 weeks ago and it will be a while before I am under my jeep again.
Did mine for $30 in 1.5 hrs, but that was with a lift and air tools and air hammer. In your case the dealer is your best bet.
WieSeL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #21
lawsonr71
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WieSeL View Post
Did mine for $30 in 1.5 hrs, but that was with a lift and air tools and air hammer. In your case the dealer is your best bet.
Too bad you are not local or I would be willing to pay you $60 an hour plus parts!!!
lawsonr71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #22
WieSeL

I would total do that too! A lift is the only way I would do it again though... Lol
Unread 01-15-2014, 07:48 PM   #23
tomynoks

Just did mine....

on the '06 Commander.. Getting it out wasn't the toughest for me....it was pressing the new one in!! The night before I soaked the mount w WD40.. a few good hits with the air air hammer had broke it free then pounded it out. The ball joint press I got from Autozone wasn't quite big enough to work, so I used a length of all thread and some of the bushings from the ball joint kit to get it started. once I had it about 1/4 inch in, then I switched to the ball joint press. It seriously sucked, but it's in and I didn't have to pay the dealer or anyone else to do it!! Thanks for all the great pics and instruction!!
tomynoks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 09:18 PM   #24
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WieSeL View Post
I would total do that too! A lift is the only way I would do it again though... Lol
I did mine in the driveway and it wasn't too bad. Just a little awkward working on your back sometimes. Mine took me 2.5-3 hours. Not difficult at all though. Don't know why I put it off for so long. I didn't even have to take the wheels off. Unfortunately, that was apparently only one of three knocking sounds I have up front. The second was a tie rod. Still searching for the source of the third.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2014, 09:04 AM   #25
cvilleBill
2005 WK 

Does anyone have the part numbers? I can't seem to find them anywhere (manual, rock auto, napa)! I have an 05 5.7.
cvilleBill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2014, 10:01 AM   #26
WieSeL

Try justforjeeps.com. That's the cheapest place I've found it
Unread 01-16-2014, 11:33 AM   #27
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvilleBill View Post
Does anyone have the part numbers? I can't seem to find them anywhere (manual, rock auto, napa)! I have an 05 5.7.
You can only buy 2 of the 3 bushings after market. The front bushing needs to be purchased from the dealer. $110 I think they are. The other two are around d $30.
Unread 01-16-2014, 11:47 AM   #28
Saleen405
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
You can only buy 2 of the 3 bushings after market. The front bushing needs to be purchased from the dealer. $110 I think they are. The other two are around d $30.
Not true. You can buy the front bushing online. Thats how I got mine. I don't remember exactly where I got it from tho, but you can get it here too. I'm sure you can get it cheaper if you look around.

http://www.justforjeeps.com/fraxmobr...FYl9OgodaFIAlQ

EDIT: Put in coupon code SAVE10 for $10 off.
Saleen405 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2014, 11:51 AM   #29
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen405 View Post
That's new. I was never able to find one before. Front bushing was always dealer only. Should be a lot cheaper if you can get it elsewhere.

Not true. You can buy the front bushing online. Thats how I got mine. I don't remember exactly where I got it from tho, but you can get it here too. I'm sure you can get it cheaper if you look around.

Edit. I just checked that link. That's not after-market, those are Mopar parts ,and still crazy expensive for a bushing, but at least you can order them online.
Unread 01-16-2014, 11:30 PM   #30
modernblueWK

I wonder if proactively replacing # 1 would make #2a nd #3 live longer?
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.