How to diagnose service 4WD message? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > How to diagnose service 4WD message?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-18-2009, 06:57 PM   #16
HurriJeff
2005 WK 

Drop off on Saturday AM. They will probably call me on Tuesday and I'll let you know. Remind you to tell the evaporator story !

HEMI CLUB MEMBER #10
Previous Jeeps:
1998 ZJ Special Edition 2wd- Traded
1991 XJ 2.8 2wd Sold
HurriJeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2009, 12:17 PM   #17
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by braleyk View Post
my message went away when i replaced the front diff solenoid and the wire harness 6 months ago. hope this helps
Not what I wanted to hear. I just bought both solenoids for the XK, and I was going to start with replacing the rear one first since it looks easy to do. The front diff looks harder. The cover is mounted to a cross member. I was hoping that replacing the rear one would do the trick so that I could avoid popping the cover off of the front one.
Unread 09-19-2009, 05:32 PM   #18
HurriJeff
2005 WK 

Wow Kentman, did you get a code for solenoid? How much were the solenoids ?? Mine turned out to be a $35.00 left rear wheel sensor. Of course I had to spend $100 to have the scan done and $80 labor to install it. I decided ti just let the dealer do it.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #10
Previous Jeeps:
1998 ZJ Special Edition 2wd- Traded
1991 XJ 2.8 2wd Sold
HurriJeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2009, 05:04 AM   #19
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

No codes. The solenoids are just a hunch. They were $23 each shipped. I figured that I would give them a try first. If those do not do the trick, I will then take it in to get the system scanned. I hate systems that require a special dealer scanner that costs thousands of dollars on the open market.
Unread 09-23-2009, 12:42 AM   #20
wookiee
Bought, not built.

2007 WK 

Mine just started showing the warning a few days ago.
It's done it a couple of times before but the warnings always went away after a few starts.
It's been 5-6 starts and 60 or so miles and it's showing. I'll start checking for loose/worn wires tomorrow.
07 Steel Blue Overland CRD QDII | Bilsteins | 4xguard Matrix | Rear SRT8 SwayBar | DashHawk w/egt | Provent | MBRP XP Exhaust | New Intake Tube & Seal + EHM | Alternator Splash Guard | Crank Sensor | GPS AL InMotion Hack | Swirl motor bypass | Fuelly.com - wookiee | Blue WK Club Member #13 | 100,000 Mile Club | Dogpiled Club | flashpaq 3872 for those no 4-low days |
wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2009, 09:36 PM   #21
kdawgFL
2005 WK 

mine popped up a couple days ago the mechanic couldnt get any info said take it to the dealer to get the flash update i read about on the forums.
kdawgFL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2009, 05:11 AM   #22
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

I got the flash update, and it did not help me.
Unread 09-25-2009, 06:45 AM   #23
BonesWK
2006 WK 

did you end up changing the solenoids? I have had a dealer tell me it is the front solenoid, but was going to charge me 6 hrs labor... is it that big of a job?

but then part of me thinks its just a bug, because I have had the message on and off for the 2 years I have owned it. even after the TSB was done.
2006 Black WK Limited 4.7 4x4 QD II -- RR 2.25" Lift - JK Moabs - 32" Wildpeaks - Rear OME Shocks - AFE Stage 2 Intake - Saguaro 4x Front Shackles - 1-1/2" Wheel Spacers - Tail Light Guards - CB - 4' Firestik - Rola Roof Rack - Exhaust
If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
Chive On
BonesWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2009, 08:22 AM   #24
LJS8510
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

When I finally got my "4 wheel service " checked out.
The dealer said it showed a short triggered it, but they could not find what caused the short.

This happened about 1/3 way thru a 5000 mile trip and all has been well with it since.

08 CRD @ 163,000
OME HD Lift about 3"
4xGuard Rails
Stillens
AEV Wheels 5.75 BS
JBA UCA's
GSA 255/75/17 32.1" (no bolt cut/no pinch weld)
spare 265/70/17 stock location
Lockpic, 100,000 club
LJS8510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2009, 02:46 PM   #25
wookiee
Bought, not built.

2007 WK 

I thought that mine was due to low oil in the front diff. Resealed, refilled. Still get the warning. Tried disconnecting the battery for 1/2 hour. Still get the warning. Tried the 3x off on trick and no codes shown. Dashhawk shows no codes.
07 Steel Blue Overland CRD QDII | Bilsteins | 4xguard Matrix | Rear SRT8 SwayBar | DashHawk w/egt | Provent | MBRP XP Exhaust | New Intake Tube & Seal + EHM | Alternator Splash Guard | Crank Sensor | GPS AL InMotion Hack | Swirl motor bypass | Fuelly.com - wookiee | Blue WK Club Member #13 | 100,000 Mile Club | Dogpiled Club | flashpaq 3872 for those no 4-low days |
Unread 09-26-2009, 10:13 PM   #26
wookiee
Bought, not built.

2007 WK 

I've read on other sites that dirty speed sensors at the wheels will give the warning.
I had just gotten off a nice long off road trek when the warning came on. So I'll try hosing off the sensors tomorrow.
Unread 09-27-2009, 07:58 PM   #27
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonesWK View Post
did you end up changing the solenoids? I have had a dealer tell me it is the front solenoid, but was going to charge me 6 hrs labor... is it that big of a job?
I am still waiting for the shipment of my solenoids.

The front certainly looks more painful. Six hours sounds a little crazy to me. The differential cover is mounted to a cross member. You will have to unmount the cover from the cross member. Then, you should be able to get it off.
Unread 09-27-2009, 09:25 PM   #28
wookiee
Bought, not built.

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentman View Post
I am still waiting for the shipment of my solenoids.

The front certainly looks more painful. Six hours sounds a little crazy to me. The differential cover is mounted to a cross member. You will have to unmount the cover from the cross member. Then, you should be able to get it off.
I took me 2 1/2 hours to get the front diff cover off and about 1 hour to get it cleaned, resealed & reinstalled.

There's one cover bolt that's a pain to get to, even after dropping the diff as far as it would go.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/d...ential-863751/

6 hours by a pro is way too much!
Unread 09-28-2009, 04:44 AM   #29
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Where exactly is that connector, and how do I ensure that I do not break it?

I will probably wait until I am due for a fluid swap to do the solenoids. I have another 12K miles until the next swap on the XK. The fluids are not cheap, and I would hate to throw away perfectly good fluid. I will just keep an eye on level between now and then. It will take me about a year to get another 12K.
Unread 09-28-2009, 11:19 AM   #30
wookiee
Bought, not built.

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentman View Post
Where exactly is that connector, and how do I ensure that I do not break it?
It sits on top of the differential.
I slid the red tab back and tried pulling the plug but it didn't move, so I tried using a screw driver, and then it broke. Not doing what I did will ensure that you don't break it the way I did, but you may find another way to break it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.