How to Change Spark plugs on A 05 GC 4.7 with pictures - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > How to Change Spark plugs on A 05 GC 4.7 with pictures

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Jeep JK Wrangler NEW Heat Reducing Performance Vented HoodARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits

Unread 07-29-2009, 04:10 AM   #1
sammy29926

How to Change Spark plugs on A 05 GC 4.7 with pictures

Hi everybody,
Yesterday I tackled the job of chaging Spark Plugs on my wifes Jeep GC with 4.7. It has 50.000 miles and it was due to change the Spark Plugs. After dealer quoted her about $260 labor I decided to do it. It is not a hard job but first timers like I was, need to plan spending about 3-4 hours. Two Spark plugs closest to the firewall was a pain in the butt to losen because access was limited. I put anti seize on every spark plug and put dielectric grease on the coil boots so my next spark plug change will go smootly. At the end Jeep purrs like a kitten , runs and idles great ( old spark plugs were really worn out) and I saved $260. I am a very happy person.. and Do not forget wife is happier...

This is what you see when you lift the hood.

You need to loosen the clamp so you can take the air intake hose out. I used a 8mm socket.

You need to loosen two bolts which are 10mm (be very carefull not to drop them) and loosen the clamp which is located begind the air intake box connected to throttle body.

After you remove all the air intake stuff that is what you see ...

Under the hood in my wifes car it was kinda dusty and sandy so I used pressured air to blow the dirt away from Spark Plug Holes. To do so I covered the Throttle Body with cloth and plastic bag and used the clamp to keep it air tight.

Jeep has a coil over spark ignition system which means every spark plug gets its ignition coil. First Disconnect the coil plug and then loosen the 10mm coil holding bolt.

That is what It would look like after you disconnect the plug and loosen the bolt.

Using a 5/8 Spark Plug socket loosen the Spark Plug and Install a new one. Make sure new one is gapped at 0.40inch. If you use anti seize on the new Spark Plugs life will be lot easiyer next time you change the Spark Plugs. Same thing goes for the Ignition coil booths. I used dielectric grease. 2 of the Spark Plugs closest to the firewall will give you some headache but it is not that hard to do. Never Forget If you start getting aggrivated walk away from it and take a break...
I hope this helps somebody.
Sammy

sammy29926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2009, 04:11 AM   #2
sammy29926

How can I make th ePictures seen on my post.. Instead of link to them?
Sammy
Unread 07-29-2009, 04:29 AM   #3
Kiwi Jeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy29926 View Post
Hi everybody,
Yesterday I tackled the job of chaging Spark Plugs on my wifes Jeep GC with 4.7. It has 50.000 miles and it was due to change the Spark Plugs. After dealer quoted her about $260 labor I decided to do it. It is not a hard job but first timers like I was, need to plan spending about 3-4 hours. Two Spark plugs closest to the firewall was a pain in the butt to losen because access was limited. I put anti seize on every spark plug and put dielectric grease on the coil boots so my next spark plug change will go smootly. At the end Jeep purrs like a kitten , runs and idles great ( old spark plugs were really worn out) and I saved $260. I am a very happy person.. and Do not forget wife is happier...

This is what you see when you lift the hood.

You need to loosen the clamp so you can take the air intake hose out. I used a 8mm socket.

You need to loosen two bolts which are 10mm (be very carefull not to drop them) and loosen the clamp which is located begind the air intake box connected to throttle body.

After you remove all the air intake stuff that is what you see ...

Under the hood in my wifes car it was kinda dusty and sandy so I used pressured air to blow the dirt away from Spark Plug Holes. To do so I covered the Throttle Body with cloth and plastic bag and used the clamp to keep it air tight.

Jeep has a coil over spark ignition system which means every spark plug gets its ignition coil. First Disconnect the coil plug and then loosen the 10mm coil holding bolt.

That is what It would look like after you disconnect the plug and loosen the bolt.

Using a 5/8 Spark Plug socket loosen the Spark Plug and Install a new one. Make sure new one is gapped at 0.40inch. If you use anti seize on the new Spark Plugs life will be lot easiyer next time you change the Spark Plugs. Same thing goes for the Ignition coil booths. I used dielectric grease. 2 of the Spark Plugs closest to the firewall will give you some headache but it is not that hard to do. Never Forget If you start getting aggrivated walk away from it and take a break...
I hope this helps somebody.
Sammy
Lets see if this works
Kiwi Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2009, 04:47 AM   #4
sammy29926

Thank you...
Unread 07-29-2009, 09:03 AM   #5
bmuhlbach
2005 WK 

this may help when you put up the photo need to take off the url and insert img in the two places and it should work

Last edited by bmuhlbach; 07-30-2009 at 11:42 PM..
bmuhlbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 04:09 PM   #6
mwo2616
2006 XJ Cherokee 

im doing mine this weekend....what spark plugs did you use?
mwo2616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2009, 03:34 PM   #7
mg01720
2006 WK 

Sammy, Thanks so much for taking the time to document and post this...changed the plugs today in my 2006 GC and this info was just what I needed!
mg01720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2009, 04:41 PM   #8
Jones
Consider the following...

Added to FAQ.
Unread 10-12-2009, 03:44 PM   #9
Renojeepguy

Best information I have ever seen! Thanks Sammy!
Renojeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2010, 01:03 PM   #10
alexwhite96523
2005 WK 

sammy,
thanks so much for the detailed pictures...16 plugs kinda scared me....somewhere along the way somebody lied to me and told me that 8 were "premium" plugs....anyone else hear about anyhting like that???

all 16 are the same "grade" in your write up...

and I like that the champion eem to be what the jeep likes best (?!)

thanks so much...
alexwhite96523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2010, 07:09 PM   #11
PurpleSplat
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhite96523 View Post
sammy,
thanks so much for the detailed pictures...16 plugs kinda scared me....somewhere along the way somebody lied to me and told me that 8 were "premium" plugs....anyone else hear about anyhting like that???

all 16 are the same "grade" in your write up...

and I like that the champion eem to be what the jeep likes best (?!)

thanks so much...
16 plugs? Where are you getting 16 plugs? Engines take one plug per cylinder. I4 takes 4, V6/I6 takes 6, V8 takes 8, etc.
PurpleSplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2010, 07:22 PM   #12
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Quote:
16 plugs? Where are you getting 16 plugs? Engines take one plug per cylinder.
Nope. 2 plugs per cylinder. It's not that uncommon in newer vehicles.
Unread 01-24-2010, 07:56 PM   #13
smcginnis87
4X4WK

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas WJ View Post
Nope. 2 plugs per cylinder. It's not that uncommon in newer vehicles.
this is true!!!!!
smcginnis87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2010, 09:25 AM   #14
thewalrus
2005 WK 

Not true, 2005-2007 has 1 spark plug per cylinder, 2008+ with the revised 4.7 has a dual spark plug system. The first bank of 8 are on top, and the next bank of 8 are on the sides above the exhaust manifold. The best plugs to use on the 2005-2007 4.7's are the stock champion copper plugs. Around $2 ea. from any auto parts stores.
Unread 01-25-2010, 10:02 AM   #15
smcginnis87
4X4WK

2007 WK 

ha i guess i was thinkin about my 5.7 my bad
smcginnis87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.