How To Change Front Struts and Rear shock on a 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 128 Old 06-25-2017, 06:31 AM
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuhulin View Post
...Can I just take the new shocks to my Jeep dealer and pay to have them put on? Is that something a dealer will do?
FWIW, I did.

I bought Monroe Sensa-Trak shock absorbers and StrutMate mounting kits. Did not like the performance or durability of the factory OEM front shocks (original or warranty replacements). Both sets of MOPAR front shock absorbers leaked fluid after a short period of service.

Installlation cost of the front shocks and the mounting kit: ~$250.

HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 128 Old 06-26-2017, 10:26 AM
LouC
2007 WK 

I did the rears myself, but the front was one job I was glad to let the dealer do. I sprayed the clevis and pinch bolts with Kroil for a couple of weeks before, and I had them replace the bushings for the clevis bolt with the MOOG ones and they used my new OE bolts, and the clevis bolt I coated with marine grease where it passes through the bushing. At least this way, if it ever has to come apart again, it won't be a royal battle like so many have reported.

I don't even see a need for the separate clevis design at all, Toyota and GM trucks as well as the WK-II all use the clevis built into the coil over shock and they don't seem to have the same issue with the bolts seizing. The new OE bolts, appear to be coated with something and maybe won't rust as easily....

2017 JK Unlimited Sport 6 spd
2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac
post #123 of 128 Old 06-26-2017, 10:29 AM
LouC
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigsajumper View Post
Attempted to change the struts on the wife's Grand Cherokee today. Managed to snap the Clevis Bolt off at the nut. Now going to have to probably cut it off on the other side and pound the ever loving snot out of it. Got two bolts coming from a mopar parts shop. Shipping cost more then the parts.
If you cannot get the broken part of the bolt out of the bushing in the control arm, keep in mind that MOOG makes replaceable bushings for that. I had the dealer replace mine when I had them do the fronts. So new bolts, new bushings etc.
wigsajumper likes this.

post #124 of 128 Old 06-26-2017, 11:14 AM
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
I did the rears myself, but the front was one job I was glad to let the dealer do. I sprayed the clevis and pinch bolts with Kroil for a couple of weeks before, and I had them replace the bushings for the clevis bolt with the MOOG ones and they used my new OE bolts, and the clevis bolt I coated with marine grease where it passes through the bushing. At least this way, if it ever has to come apart again, it won't be a royal battle like so many have reported.

I don't even see a need for the separate clevis design at all, Toyota and GM trucks as well as the WK-II all use the clevis built into the coil over shock and they don't seem to have the same issue with the bolts seizing. The new OE bolts, appear to be coated with something and maybe won't rust as easily....
I absolutely hated installing new front shocks. I couldn't get the clevis bolt out so I had to get the control arm as low as possible and get the top part of the shock free then loosen the pinch bolt and use a large flathead to pry the pinch open while hammering up on the shock.
It took a while and it really really sucked lol.
Getting the new shocks in was easy, I used the weight of the Jeep to push them down into the clevis.
I got the Bilstein 4600 so I'll probably not have to do that again thankfully.
post #125 of 128 Old 06-26-2017, 01:32 PM
LouC
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
I absolutely hated installing new front shocks. I couldn't get the clevis bolt out so I had to get the control arm as low as possible and get the top part of the shock free then loosen the pinch bolt and use a large flathead to pry the pinch open while hammering up on the shock.
It took a while and it really really sucked lol.
Getting the new shocks in was easy, I used the weight of the Jeep to push them down into the clevis.
I got the Bilstein 4600 so I'll probably not have to do that again thankfully.

I hear ya, I'm at the age now where, there are certain jobs I will just not get involved in, been there and done that many times in my younger years. I put a set of 4600s in our ZJ way back in 2002, they have about 130,000 miles on them now, and they are still good, not leaking, etc. Of course doing shocks on a ZJ, WJ, or TJ is a piece of cake compared to the front ends on these WKs. Yes they ride and steer nice but you pay for it...

post #126 of 128 Old 06-26-2017, 03:05 PM
wigsajumper
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
If you cannot get the broken part of the bolt out of the bushing in the control arm, keep in mind that MOOG makes replaceable bushings for that. I had the dealer replace mine when I had them do the fronts. So new bolts, new bushings etc.
Thanks LouC for the reminder. Might end up doing that. Breaking out the torch tomorrow. Looks like the bolt is seized in the rear part of the fork. That is where the bolt snapped right at the nut. The head of the bolt was turning. *Shrug*

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Black '04 LJ
Black '85 CJ 7 258 T4 Dana 300 AMC 20 Dana 30 TeamRush/HEI Hybrid
post #127 of 128 Old 07-09-2017, 05:47 PM
wigsajumper
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:

LouC finally was able to get the bushing out. Did the replacement bushing from MOOG come with a metal outer sleeve? Mine came with an outer metal sleeve with the bushing inside. It doesn't look like the matching outer sleeve in the LCA comes out. Looks like it is part of the LCA?

Black '04 LJ
Black '85 CJ 7 258 T4 Dana 300 AMC 20 Dana 30 TeamRush/HEI Hybrid
post #128 of 128 Old 07-10-2017, 03:37 AM
LouC
2007 WK 

Yes the replacement bushings did come with the outer sleeve and the old one I believe has to be knocked out to replace the bushing

Tags
bilstein , bushing , clevis , seized

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.