How To Change Front Struts and Rear shock on a 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > How To Change Front Struts and Rear shock on a 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 12-01-2011, 10:12 AM   #16
superbuick
2003 WJ 

Gerat writeup - very useful. Thank You!

superbuick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2011, 06:23 AM   #17
NewAlbanyWJ
2007 XK Commander 

Is a puller needed to seperate the upper control arm ball joint fron the spindle? I'm getting ready to tackle this job soon, but I don't have a puller.
NewAlbanyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2011, 05:24 PM   #18
BLEEDNJEEP
1985 CJ7 

I wouldn't use a puller, you'll rip the boot on the balljoint if you are reusing. Just undo the nut 3/4 way (leave nut on so spindle won't fall completely down) and tap the side of the spindle with a hammer. The weight and tap will easily break the mechanical weld and it will drop.
BLEEDNJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2011, 05:28 PM   #19
2005WK
2005 WK 

Anyone have a problem getting the lower strut clevis (fork) bolt out of the lower control arm? I removed the drivers side Ok, but the passenger side is giving me fits. I got the nut off without a problem, but the bolt will not come out of the control arm/strut fork bracket. It's as though the bolt is pressed into the bracket (not the control arm) and will not separate. It seems to be hung up at the bolt-head end of the bracket. I'm hesitant to use heat because of the rubber in the control arm. Any suggestions?
2005WK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2011, 05:30 PM   #20
skrach77
2005 WK 

When I did mine, I had the same trouble. I took a floor jack and relieved the weight on the system, but not lifting the arm either- then gave it a good smack with a hammer and it came out
skrach77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2011, 06:11 PM   #21
sunrcr69
2005 WK 

Is that a 2wd or was the front axle has ben taken out?
2005 WK 5.7L Hemi, RC 2" BB + fabrication = 3.5" lift, JK Rubicon Tires & Wheels, 1.25" Spacers, Fabricated Skidplate, Fabricated Recovery Points, Airaid CAI, Superchips, HIDs RED WK Club #10
sunrcr69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2011, 08:24 PM   #22
BLEEDNJEEP
1985 CJ7 

I would check out here -

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/lift-day-1157104/

if you are looking for the real world of removing these struts. This thread here is nice start (of the way it should go) if everything goes perfect, however reality is more like the 90% of us that had issues. The LCA on my drivers took 15 minutes and my passenger side took 1.5 hours. I put aside one night to just get these two bolts loose knowing there was going to be an issue!

BY THE WAY, FOR ALL FUTURE READERS, YOU CAN BREAK THESE BOLTS LOOSE THE DAY YOU ORDER THE KIT! DO NOT WAIT TILL IT ARRIVES. GET THEM TAPPED OUT AND ANTI-SEIZED, THEN WHEN YOUR KIT COMES THIS WILL ONE LESS THING TO WORRY ABOUT

No offense to this thread, but it is a really good chance your lift is going to have some hiccups. For some people like Cmmdr Dan it took weeks!

The issue is that the bolt actually rusts itself inside the rubber and is stuck. To compound the issue, the rubber bounces with each hammer hit, laughing at you with each blow. Here is what I wrote at the time I did mine. I would steer clear of heat, you will melt the rubber bushing making things worse. Be patient, it will come out. I would read all 14 pages above before proceeding!

Here is my LCA pics and resolution-

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/o...s-way-1175893/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/l...oblem-1177079/

All I can say is spray it with WD40, keep turning it with a rachet or impact and keep beating it left and right. It will come out, I promise!
BLEEDNJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2011, 08:36 PM   #23
t3kmitch
2005 WK 

This is more of a dumb in general question.. but how long does it take for a bolt to get difficult to remove? If you install a lift, and then then 6 months later you go back to replace struts, could you expect a fairly easy time or will it be just as difficult? (Assume no anti-seize was used)
Blue WK Club Member #32
t3kmitch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2011, 08:54 PM   #24
mattydipps
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3kmitch View Post
This is more of a dumb in general question.. but how long does it take for a bolt to get difficult to remove? If you install a lift, and then then 6 months later you go back to replace struts, could you expect a fairly easy time or will it be just as difficult? (Assume no anti-seize was used)
that depends on the driving condictions, if your playing around in puddles of mud and rain water on a constant basis and not washing it off afterwards, then after 6 months i would say your gonna be a little stuck .... not as stuck as a couple years but still a little snug ....that lower strut mounting bolt is going to be a b****... what struts you throwing in ?
Unread 12-19-2011, 09:10 PM   #25
t3kmitch
2005 WK 

Probably going to go Bilsteins eventually, they're not too expensive through Kolak. Was possibly going to be my xmas present to me, still haven't decided.
Blue WK Club Member #32
t3kmitch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2011, 09:53 PM   #26
mattydipps
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3kmitch View Post
Probably going to go Bilsteins eventually, they're not too expensive through Kolak. Was possibly going to be my xmas present to me, still haven't decided.
i was going to buy one big item for my self this christmas but i feel i got alot more with a few smaller things lol

belsteins are nice struts tho if you can splurdge a little bit id go for em. i plan on throwing a spacer up front with some bilsteins and throwing some load levelers in the back to hopefully bring it up a little bit more..
Unread 12-20-2011, 05:00 PM   #27
2005WK
2005 WK 

Thanks for the tips guys. Got it finished up and back on the road. The Bilsteins sure do ride better than what was on their before.
2005WK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #28
Schwo
2005 WK 

Awesome thread! I've been looking for the torque numbers and this is perfect.

Black '05 WK Hemi & '76 CJ5 AMC 304 V8

[COLOR="DarkRed"]WK Build Thread: [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/schwos-wk-build-1364837/"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/schwos-wk-build-1364837/[/URL][/COLOR]
Schwo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #29
torquey
2008 WK 

Thanks for the write up and the pictures. Its appreciated.
'08 CRD 3.0, Overland, Grey, 70k miles, QDII, GDE Hot tune, black gasket intake, OME Medium Duty lift, BFG All Terrains 265/70 R17, 1.5" SpiderTrax, 4XGuard Sliders, DPF delete and Resonator about to get installed.
torquey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2013, 07:34 AM   #30
tim0220
2006 WK 

Great Info!

Sammy, Thanks for your detailed information. This is killer and really clears things up. About to install some new KYB's on my jeep and would hate to bring it to the dealer to do it. Thanks for the GREAT POST!
tim0220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bilstein , bushing , clevis , seized

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.