Horn Blowing Randomly - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Horn Blowing Randomly

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 03-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
92JEEPWRANGLERY
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Horn Blowing Randomly

Hello,
My Wife's 05 JGC Limited Hemi has learned to blow its horn all by itself whenever it wants to. ( I'm so proud!) Anyway, when it does it you can push the center of the steering wheel like you want to blow the horn and sometimes it will stop. It does have a little bit of the infamous "squeaky wheel" sympton but I dont know if they are related or not. I took out the horn relay under the hood to keep it from happening until I figure it out. any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

92JEEPWRANGLERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
MarkyZ
2005 WK 

Bad horn relay or bad steering wheel clock spring. I say horn relay.

Could also be a funny short somewhere, but that will be hell to diagnose.
MarkyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
GregK340
2007 WK 

If it happens while turning, it might be the clock spring, but since you can get it to stop by pushing the horn pad, I might lean more towards the horn switch in the steering wheel.
GregK340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #4
hergenroder

Based on a little research, this seems to be a fairly common problem on this year/model. It's usually the horn pad--it has worn down and needs to be replaced. Dealers typically want $300 for parts and labor. I believe the part is ~$180 from a dealer with an extra $100 for labor.

If you want to do the install yourself,
video shows its removal on a 2010 Jeep liberty.
hergenroder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #5
92JEEPWRANGLERY
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the tips! I did put a new relay in but that didn't help so I will do the horn pad. Thanks for sharing the video link.
Unread 04-07-2012, 09:16 PM   #6
TangoTango
2008 WK 

LOL ... Don't follow any Hells Angles ...
TangoTango is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 08:15 AM   #7
GregK340
2007 WK 

One thing they didn't mention til right near the end of the video,
you need to disconnect the battery about 5 min. before you do anything near the air bag.
GregK340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #8
ramthis426
2005 WK 

lmfao im sorry i dont have any advice but this post made me laugh so hard lol has anyone died in the jeep before you bought it or have you ran over anyone lately lol
ramthis426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #9
92JEEPWRANGLERY
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think anyone has died in it but as far as running over somebody---it's my wife's Jeep---with QDII, she doesn't call and say "I'm stuck on a curb, in a ditch, on a lightpole, on a person!" Just Kidding!
Unread 01-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #10
05jeepGCLmike
2005 XJ Cherokee 

Random horn blowing....all by it's self

I have a 2005 JGC larado and the horn would sound with or without anyone in the car. It would also sound sometimes when using the signal and or wiper control.
It was the Clock Spring which comes with the steering control module.....FIXED the problem!!
Another clue is if your turning the wheel and you hear a slight noise like plastic rubbing on plastic....it's the clock spring.

This fixed my problem. I hope this helps!
05jeepGCLmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #11
NickButera
2010 WK 

Your car has Automobilus Tourrettus Syndrome. Other symptoms your car may exhibit on it's own are attempting burnouts at red lights near RWD convertables and flashing high beams at oncoming Hummers. There's not much you can do except manage the situation. Psycho-behavioral treatment, education and reassurance for your automobile may be your best bet. Reassure your car that it is a Jeep and has much to be proud of. Take it in the mud once a week, drive over a rock here or there, etc. Medication may be available to help minimize the symptoms. Synthetic oil changes, intermittent high octane fill-ups and regular fluid changes in the diff's.

....all joking aside, I hope you get it fixed soon. This could be quite an annoying problem to have, albeit humorous.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.