Hood Deflector - Be careful! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Hood Deflector - Be careful!

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3

Unread 03-29-2006, 08:43 AM   #1
XKShawn

Hood Deflector - Be careful!

I bought the tinted hood deflector from Mopar and installed it last night. The directions have you drill four holes in the underside of the hood and attach the two clips at the end. The paper says to drill the wholes very carefully. They aren't kidding! I had a hell of a time drilling through (broke one drill bit and ruined two others). I had to push pretty hard to do it. On one of the holes, I was pushing a little too hard when it broke through and now I have a nice little pimple on the outside of the hood.

Also, the two end clips are attached to the deflector with little plastic inserts as the "nuts" for the screws. I screwed the first one just a little too tight and it snapped in half. I was able to use a small nut and washer instead, but the clip needed to be attached to the deflector first (not to the hood as the instructions state).

Just thought I'd pass this on. The final product looks great, and hopefully it will keep some of the bug splatter off the windshield.

XKShawn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2006, 10:50 AM   #2
blackcommander

I here many commander owners are having a problem with the deflectors. I guess if I ever had that accessory, I will have the dealer install it. If they make a mistake they will have to fix it. blkcommander

Last edited by blackcommander; 04-10-2006 at 11:41 AM..
blackcommander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2006, 05:18 PM   #3
DonMcL

Bug deflector

Bought the Jeep bug deflector and ended up taking it back after trial fitting because it was not designed right in the first place. The mounting is iffy at best, and the hole locations were in places where you could, if you wwere not extremely careful, go right to the hood outer panel. The one I bought said "Made in Australia". What the hell do they know about designing stuff for American vehicles? Anyway, I went to the local Murray's and ordered the Ventvisor (AVS)model for my '06 Commander, and it is easily installed using the tape or drilling holes which incidentally are located in areas where there are two thicknesses of hood material, and unless you're not paying any attention whatsoever, there is no way you will hit the hood outer panel.
DonMcL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2006, 03:04 PM   #4
INTREPER

Thanks for the heads up. Good to know.
Unread 04-24-2006, 02:56 PM   #5
Chipster009

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMcL
Bought the Jeep bug deflector and ended up taking it back after trial fitting because it was not designed right in the first place. The mounting is iffy at best, and the hole locations were in places where you could, if you wwere not extremely careful, go right to the hood outer panel. The one I bought said "Made in Australia". What the hell do they know about designing stuff for American vehicles? Anyway, I went to the local Murray's and ordered the Ventvisor (AVS)model for my '06 Commander, and it is easily installed using the tape or drilling holes which incidentally are located in areas where there are two thicknesses of hood material, and unless you're not paying any attention whatsoever, there is no way you will hit the hood outer panel.
Got pics? I'm thinking of getting the AVS smoked bug shield (no chrome version out yet)... Just over the weekend my Commander windshield took 6 pebble-hits on the freeway. UGH!

Sounds like the AVS mounting system is more favorable than Mopar's version.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.