High, Erratic Idle only in Hot Weather - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > High, Erratic Idle only in Hot Weather

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-20-2015, 12:25 PM   #1
Tripod1404
2006 WK 

High, Erratic Idle only in Hot Weather

Hi everyone,
I am experiencing a weird situation with my 2006 Grand Cherokee and I decided to ask for your expertise on this subject. The car is a 4.7 and has 100k miles on it.
The problem is, on hot days after a short drive when I put the car to park or natural, it first idles high (1100 rpm) after some time (around 30 sec) it starts to fluctuate erratically between 500-1100 (for 30 secs or so)and finally settles around ~550 rpm which is the normal idle position. After it settled, if I push the throttle, it again idles high and the same process repeats. While the gear is in drive, it idles around 550 rpm but I can feel it wants to idle more since when I am stopping at a stop sing or red light I need to brake a bit more as the car wants to move forward. Aside from that it drives normally without any power loss or noticeable change. This problem only happens in hot weather, so if it is not hot (by not hot I mean below 74 degrees F), it always idle at ~550 rpm regardless of gear position.
It doesnít seem to matter if the engine is cold or warm however, if I drive the car for long enough (20 min drive), the idle problem eventually disappears.
I first tough it might be resulting from the A/C, since my A/C is always in auto mode and kicks in in hot days just after starting the car. Turning the A/C off does help a bit (the car comes to normal idle rpm faster like 10 sec), but does not completely solves the problem.
I already cleaned the throttle body by gently wiping it and also cleaned the iacv motor but that didnít helped. Since it is a WK, like most of its kind, it also has a broken bold on the driverís side exhaust manifold . I am thinking this my cause air to leak in and mess up the left bank oxygen sensor readings, which would explain the idle problem. However I cannot see why this would only happen in hot days. I recently changes almost every fluid in the car (coolant, tranny, and diffs) except transfer case, so I donít think old fluids is an issue here and their levels are in normal range.
I know there are many more things that can cause what I explained (injectors, throttle position sensor, etc.) but why any of this would be ambient temperature dependent.
Maybe you guys can figure out what is going on.
Thanks in advance!!

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2015, 04:45 PM   #2
tom19511
2006 WK 

Check for codes
2007 Liberty Sport 3.7
tom19511 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2015, 10:40 AM   #3
Tripod1404
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom19511 View Post
Check for codes
I did, no codes are displayed.
Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2015, 11:27 AM   #4
tom19511
2006 WK 

Maybe coolant temp sensor.
2007 Liberty Sport 3.7
tom19511 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.