HID Support? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > HID Support?

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Closed Thread
Unread 11-19-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
TheTrot

HID Support?

I know this is a crazy question but could one retrofit HID's on a non HID car.

For example could I buy the HID Headlamp assembly and hook them up to my 2008 non HID car? Or are there extra wires and modules that I'd be missing? I know that HID's are an option on 2008 WK's and 2009 XK & WK's.

Unread 11-19-2008, 09:55 PM   #2
f-250ford
2005 WK 

I have seen these on ebay look like the come with the hid lights and hid ballast and relays.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...Q5fAccessories
Unread 11-20-2008, 04:39 PM   #3
Spider-One
2008 WK 

I purchased a 50W Xenon upgrade kit from here http://www.automotivelightstore.com/. Looks great and no glare. The increase in brightness is pretty substantial, even my girlfriend commented on it, and she could usually care less about that sort of thing, ha ha. If you're a member on the charger forums (I think it was that forum) you can get a pretty decent discount. Some google searching can bring up the info.

You run the power lines from the battery to the boxes for the HID's, then just plug the old sockets to the sockets on the box, and run the power from the box to the bulb. The bulb uses the same plugs and goes in as any halogen bulb would. The key is to buy a decent kit, otherwise you could end up with a lot of glare from the depth of the light source being off and such.
Unread 12-08-2008, 11:19 PM   #4
madrabbitt

There is a thread on adding the 2008 HID assemblies to a 05-07 WK.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/how-add-2008-hid-headlights-your-05-07-wk-595056/

You can buy crash parts for the headlights, and go aftermarket on the ballasts and bulbs.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
Unread 12-09-2008, 10:53 AM   #5
Scottina06
2006 WK 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=595056
Unread 12-09-2008, 01:34 PM   #6
madrabbitt

gee. thanks for POSTING THE EXACT THREAD I POSTED.

good job on the reading before you leap there.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
Unread 12-09-2008, 01:47 PM   #7
Scottina06
2006 WK 

gee....good job on posting inaccurate info. If you buy the 08 HID lamps you dont need aftermarket ballasts and bulbs. Just use the ballasts and bulbs that come with the 08 lamps-----

sorry for double posting the link----but I honestly didnt see it. What the hell does it matter anyway?
Unread 12-09-2008, 02:39 PM   #8
madrabbitt

Depending on where you source the 08 housings from, they MAY or MAY NOT come with the bulbs/ballasts.

If you buy them from the dealer, or a mopar source, then yes, they have the bulbs and ballasts.
If you buy them from a wholesaler, or a wrecking yard, then they may not have them.

So dont go saying someone posts inaccurate info without taking to consideration all the options, and try reading the entire thread before posting.

Unread 12-09-2008, 03:23 PM   #9
Scottina06
2006 WK 

LOL---sorry bud...you are still wrong...I have done this and KNOW. Have you done the converion or even seen an 08 lamp? The ballasts are part of the lamps and are made into the lamps. If you buy them new...they come with the bulbs. Also all wrecking yards include the bulbs. Especially with these lamps as the bulbs would be difficult for soemone who knows nothing of them to remove them. Most yards just pull the part and ship it...they dont dismantle them and ship them. i agree...there could be a 1% chance that the bulb could not be included...but every single lamp I have called about includes the bulb. so yes....you posted inaccurate info...sorry-
Unread 12-09-2008, 04:26 PM   #10
madrabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottina06 View Post
LOL---sorry bud...you are still wrong...I have done this and KNOW. Have you done the converion or even seen an 08 lamp? The ballasts are part of the lamps and are made into the lamps. If you buy them new...they come with the bulbs. Also all wrecking yards include the bulbs. Especially with these lamps as the bulbs would be difficult for soemone who knows nothing of them to remove them. Most yards just pull the part and ship it...they dont dismantle them and ship them. i agree...there could be a 1% chance that the bulb could not be included...but every single lamp I have called about includes the bulb. so yes....you posted inaccurate info...sorry-

Um, no, Crash parts dont include the ballasts. They do separate from the housing. In fact, there are separate mopar part numbers for the ballasts, the bulbs, and the housings, and the associated electronics for the leveling.
Primary reason is, insurance companies want to keep costs down, and just replace whats broken.

And yes, i have a pair of 08 HID housings apart on a work bench, because i was trying to see if we can fit hidaway leds in the turn signal portion.

Just because in YOUR experiance they are one piece, doesnt mean its always like that.

And just because you've done the conversion once, doesnt mean you're an expert on the subject.

Unread 12-09-2008, 06:03 PM   #11
Scottina06
2006 WK 

one question....did your lamps come with the ballasts and bulbs?
I bought my lamps from LKQ...they deal in "crash parts" as you call them(or I'm assuming thats what you meant...because who would pay what Chrysler wants for these boogers) and they came with the ballasts and bulbs. I know several people on the Cherokeesrt8 site that have purchased OEM HID 08 lamps from justforjeeps and "other" wrecking yards and they all have included the ballast and bulbs. I bought a spare off of ebay an it had the bulb and ballast.

I know the ballasts seperate...you are nit picking. They are made to be replacable becasue ballast go bad. They are held on by 4 torx screws...duh. I have a spare one here as well and have had it apart...many times. I am no way saying I am an expert...but obviously you are...so I'll let you continue with the misinformation and then the peopel that really want to do the conversion can pm me...as usual.

Please dont nit pick my posts...this is the internet and I am being general---next you'll be spell checking and checking my grammar
Unread 12-09-2008, 07:14 PM   #12
madrabbitt

The ones that i have apart are OEM off the front of a 08 thats being upfitted for a client (and im biting my tounge on my opinion on why we're upfitting a leather equipped luxury vehicle for the gas company) so yes, ballasts and hids are already on it.

According to my supply catalog, crash parts are orderable as seperate items. Housings themselves (in standard and oem grades) ballasts themselves, bulbs themselves, sensors themselves, and upstream harness by itself.
And yes, thats what i mean. Wholesalers that sell other then OEM parts.

And it totally depends on the junkyard or used supplier, if they're going to take the items apart (to make more money, usually)

My point was, before you started insisting i was wrong, was you CAN order the housings (minus the bulbs) from one supplier cheaply (my wholesale guide is saying $81 each) and the bulbs and ballasts from another, and it usually prices out cheaper then the entire assemblies.

And yes, I AM an expert. I'm not going into my qualifications, but you're more then welcome to read other posts of mine, and you can probably figure it out on your own.

So feel free to edit your posts that say i'm giving misinformation, before I ask a mod to do so.

Unread 12-09-2008, 08:24 PM   #13
drewman141
Gas Guzzler

1994 ZJ 

How about you both stop the bickering. There is some good information in here besides the bickering. I hope the two of you can clean it up before I have to.

MUST GO! 1994 Limited ZJ 5.2L V8 - Light Driftwood Satin Glow
It's a 94 5.2L Limited - trxus 33's on 15x7 steelies, 4.56s w/ front OX and rear trutrac, NP242 swap, novak shift kit, Kevin's ultimate 4.5" lift + ACOS, ARB front bumper w/warn M8000, rear tomkin machine bumper w/ tire carrier, kevin's hardore railz, kevin's ultimate tc skid, kevin's trackbar conversion, rusty's gas skid, flexalite efan, Kolak's performance ignition and brake upgrades. ViAir OBA, custom storage/sub box and I'm sure there's a bunch of other things I'm missing. Everything is a little over 3 years old with less than 10K miles. Looking to get around $4k.

Unread 12-09-2008, 08:34 PM   #14
Scottina06
2006 WK 

but in the real world...real people are gonna buy the new ones with the ballasts or used ones the same way. No ones gonna buy all the parts seperate. We are in the real world on a real forum trying to help real people.....not experts who have access to parts catalogs showing each part of the lamp and what they cost wholesale.....

feel free to delete away----
Unread 12-09-2008, 08:35 PM   #15
Scottina06
2006 WK 

...also...why did you post the link to my thread?...why didnt you just tell him what to do, what to buy and where to buy it?
Closed Thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.