hid lights? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > hid lights?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-11-2013, 06:58 AM   #16
R32R1
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafer57 View Post
By all means, using the correct housing is the best route.

HID bulbs as said before "Throw" light in all directions, including up. So by aiming the housing down a bit, it eliminates some of the light being "thrown" upwards.

I've read on this forum about bulbs called HIR's being pretty much the best bulb you can use in the stock housing.
It still will piss off people. HIDs in reflective ballasts are hack, period.

OP- Sylvania gold series bulbs are pretty good. Pure white and visibility is crystal clear.

R32R1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 07:28 AM   #17
Mainsail
2005 WK 

Quote:
I think the worst is when they don't even invest in HID's, they buy the Blue tinted bulbs at local flea markets. How THEY can see is beyond me.

HID's unforunately come in many colors Blue>White(ish)>Purple. Higher the "K" the more purple they are. Most I see are either purple, or dark blue. Mine are as white as possible (I forget what K they are)
I think that's a result of the bigger-is-better mentality. If a 2500K bulb is bright, then a 9000K bulb will be brighter! Well, except the number refers to bulb color and has nothing to do with brightness. The whiter the color (4500 to 6000K) the brighter it will appear because it's making more visible light.

My M1009, in addition to the two 450 watt landing lights, has an old Welen Edge police lightbar with the reflectors modified to take HID bulbs...six of them. The light isn't as focused as it would be with the proper reflectors, but it's for off-roading and does an excellent job of making it daytime all around the truck. I went with 5500K for the color, so it's super white.
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #18
JeepCK
2009 WK 

Quote:
By all means, using the correct housing is the best route.

HID bulbs as said before "Throw" light in all directions, including up. So by aiming the housing down a bit, it eliminates some of the light being "thrown" upwards.

I've read on this forum about bulbs called HIR's being pretty much the best bulb you can use in the stock housing.
So normal halogen bulbs DON'T throw light in all directions? Why there would be any difference between the direction the light will shine when comparing a Halogen bulb vs a HID bulb. HID's just shine brighter, but still in the same direction.

If I am correct in my assumption, headlights are parabolic shaped which focus the light from the bulbs so it shines forward. Why would it be any different on HID's?

Now if you are lifted, that's a different story. Your lights are 2-4' higher off the ground and instead of shining on someone's bumper, you may be pointing your lights right on the back window of a small car.

p.s. - I have driven behind my friends cars at night many times and no one has ever complained that my lights were too bright/blinding them.
2009 3.7L Laredo Black | Two-Toned Leather | RER Nav/DVD/BA System | Viper alarm | HID's in the lows and fogs | Westin Brush Guard | Tinted Tails | Custom Blue LED Interior/Rear Hatch Lights - White Rock Lights| Rough Country 1.5" Spacers | General Grabber 255/70r17 -- Island Beach State Park 4x4 Mobile Sportsfishing Permit --
JeepCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.