HID Kit Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > HID Kit Help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
spencer_hawn
2005 WK 

HID Kit Help

I just bought an 05 WK and I want to put HIDs on the low beams and fog lights. I'm not quite sure where I the best site or place to but them is, so any help on that I would appreciate. Also, any information or help on the install I would also appreciate. Thanks!!

spencer_hawn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
BleedingBlue
2005 WK 

xenon depot has great kits
BleedingBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
Robb286
2006 WK 

Amazon.com has good kit.. Make sure you get a wire harness with the kit. If ya don't, the hids will just strobe.
Robb286 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
ibz2000
2006 WK 

DDM tuning makes decent kits.
ibz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 08:12 AM   #5
meep
2008 WK 

this comes up often. the hids do not retain nearly the focus or best light distribution unless they are in projector housings.

try this. search for HIR2, i think it's # 9012. these are 55 watt halogen bulbs, so they draw the SAME current, but the IR coating reflects more heat back in... so it's like an 1800 lumen bulb, for the same 55 watts. The filament location is IDENTICAL to the 9006, so the focus and aim is perfectly stock.

unlike "boosted" high watt bulbs, these will not burn out at 200-300 hours. They were originally developed for john deere tractors, and certain auto projectors (viper?) use them. $20 each at amazon. You have to trim one of the three mounting tabs, the electrical plug is identical.

I just did this to my mom's civic, with new housings as well. FAR better light control than HIDs (tried those too).

M
meep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
Dcore911
2005 WK 

Be weary of cheap HID kits .. I went through 2 sets before I found a decent kit off of amazon.com ... You may run into a "Strobe" issue if you have automatic headlights, the cure to this is making sure your battery is disconnected and having your headlight switch off of auto .. You may have to play with them a while before they will work properly
Dcore911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #7
spencer_hawn
2005 WK 

Are the projector housings necessary? Im not quite sure how I feel about the way that they look.
spencer_hawn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #8
meep
2008 WK 

well, let's put it this way. the focal point of a halogen lamp is a skinny filament. it is ~5mm long and less than 1mm wide. The factory housing puts low levels of light up close, and increases the intensity as the beam goes farther from the car, putting the hotspot up on the horizon and then slaps in a sharp cutoff above that. It is extremely precise. And it throws most of the light forward, not near the bumper, so you have better distance vision, and so YOU have better distance vision WHILE keeping glare out of other folks' eyes.

HID capsules are a 3-4mm sphere. and the whole sphere glows. but there's also a hotspot in the sphere, an arc shaped like a rainbow. It's a HUGE lit source compared to a tight filament. The reflectors just cant control it. Try wiggling your oem bulb around and see how the beam distorts up against a wall. Imagine getting ALL of that distortion at once. That's what HID does in a halogen housing.

What you gain: lumen output. and your friends that don't know any better think it's cool.

What you lose: controlled focus of your light. you may perceive greater vision, but you actually risk losing some due to too much light up close.

What they lose: they get glare in their eyes.

Unless you try to lower the focus, to reduce the glare, the responsible thing to do. But now you've increased the light in your foreground, and hurt your distance vision even more.

There's a lot more that goes into engineering a great lamp than you'd think. Stock, the WK has excellent lamps and mediocre brights. But the lows are hard to beat. Slapping a chinese HID kit in them is counter-productive.

Projectors CAN do a much better job of controlling the beam pattern, if they are set up properly. As a retrofit, it's the only way to go.
Unread 01-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #9
LelandGray
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer_hawn View Post
Are the projector housings necessary? Im not quite sure how I feel about the way that they look.
Yes, projectors are necessary for proper HID operation..
Silver WK Club Member #11
LelandGray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2012, 01:11 AM   #10
zero_psi
2009 WK 

basically what there saying is if u don't want to be a **** and blind every one u have to put them in a projector housing.. they will be very bright and throw light every where if u put them in ur oem housings. But u still can use them theres no issue.

Get 2 55 watt hid kits from ddm tuning and get a relay harness for both kits and get the thicker raptor ballests and don't get them in blue or purple 10,000-13,000k go with 4,300-6000k
zero_psi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2012, 07:00 AM   #11
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_psi View Post
basically what there saying is if u don't want to be a **** and blind every one u have to put them in a projector housing.. they will be very bright and throw light every where if u put them in ur oem housings. But u still can use them theres no issue.

Get 2 55 watt hid kits from ddm tuning and get a relay harness for both kits and get the thicker raptor ballests and don't get them in blue or purple 10,000-13,000k go with 4,300-6000k
Why the Raptor and not the slim kit??
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2012, 01:26 AM   #12
zero_psi
2009 WK 

the first set of raptor ballests i ordered like maybe 5 years ago and still have them. they were smashed (rubicon vs small tree)lol under water for extended periods of time, covered in mud take to temps well below -20 below zero. i have had the slims and have had them fail. i bought 5 pairs of the slim 2 pairs 35 watt and 3 pairs 55 watt i have a bunch of kc day lighters with them in it and they never last. its nice cause before my new wk all i would do when i got a new car was take the ballests with me and just order new bulbs and make a new relay harness. i sold all my slim ballest and got all raptor kits and couldn't be happier
u get what ever ones u like better but after going threw so many i will never buy slims again. and ddm forgets to tell u that if u send a ballest in to get warranty if it works for them they will charge u a 15 buck test fee per unit plus return shipping which i think was like 17 bucks

sry about spelling trying to type this on a i phone :/
zero_psi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2012, 05:48 AM   #13
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_psi View Post
the first set of raptor ballests i ordered like maybe 5 years ago and still have them. they were smashed (rubicon vs small tree)lol under water for extended periods of time, covered in mud take to temps well below -20 below zero. i have had the slims and have had them fail. i bought 5 pairs of the slim 2 pairs 35 watt and 3 pairs 55 watt i have a bunch of kc day lighters with them in it and they never last. its nice cause before my new wk all i would do when i got a new car was take the ballests with me and just order new bulbs and make a new relay harness. i sold all my slim ballest and got all raptor kits and couldn't be happier
u get what ever ones u like better but after going threw so many i will never buy slims again. and ddm forgets to tell u that if u send a ballest in to get warranty if it works for them they will charge u a 15 buck test fee per unit plus return shipping which i think was like 17 bucks

sry about spelling trying to type this on a i phone :/

Good to know. I have the DDM slim now. I was going to order two or three more. Guess I'll go with the Raptors. They're cheaper anyway.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #14
R32R1
2006 WK 

Don't do it, you'll look like another ******* from the 'hood' trying to make his car look 'luxurious'. HIDs are hack and a good pair of halogen bulbs can out perform HIDs any day.
R32R1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #15
meep
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32R1
Don't do it, you'll look like another ******* from the 'hood' trying to make his car look 'luxurious'. HIDs are hack and a good pair of halogen bulbs can out perform HIDs any day.
Truth. Search amazon for hir 9012. Yes, hiR. 1750 lumens from 50 watts, exact same filament location, 1800 hr life, $20 apiece, minor trimming to fit, perfect focus. It's a 600+ lumen increase without all the rice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.